Trip To South Africa

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I'm going to South Africa next spring to visit my brother and his wife. (I like to start planning things early!) I'll be travelling from Heathrow to Johannesburg, which is I think an 8 hour flight and then on to Port Elizabeth. I'll probably stay for two weeks and will be travelling on my own. Temperatures should be in the low 70's, which will be good for me - not too hot.
Does anyone have any tips or advice? What would be good for keeping insulin cool? I've not travelled long distance before. I'd really appreciate any comments.
I'm Type 1.
Many thanks.

Luke2709

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello! It would probably be a good idea to split your medication between your hand and hold luggage, just in case the worst happens and an item of your luggage gets lost. Any insulin you put in your hold luggage would probably be best kept in amongst clothing,just for a bit of insulation as I've heard stories of it getting frozen before.

As for keeping it cool in South Africa it might be worth having a look at a couple of FRIO packs. www.friouk.com/

Regards
Luke.

Reactions: 2 people

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hello! It would probably be a good idea to split your medication between your hand and hold luggage, just in case the worst happens and an item of your luggage gets lost. Any insulin you put in your hold luggage would probably be best kept in amongst clothing,just for a bit of insulation as I've heard stories of it getting frozen before.

As for keeping it cool in South Africa it might be worth having a look at a couple of FRIO packs. www.friouk.com/

Regards
Luke.
Thanks, Luke. That's helpful. I'll check out the Frio packs.

Luke2709

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I forgot to mention, a spare set of Insulin pens in case one of your current pens/pump malfunction. If you do currently use a pump it may well be worth refreshing your memory on your Basal dose just in case, as well as taking the relevant insulins for those pens

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hi. I've ordered a Frio wallet. They really do get excellent reviews. I'd never heard of them.
I don't use a pump but I'm on MDI and use the Accuchek Aviva Expert. D'you think I should take a back up meter, or am I being paranoid? I'll take spare pens, as you suggested, just in case. Sod's law says if you don't take it, you'll need it!

Luke2709

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi. I've ordered a Frio wallet. They really do get excellent reviews. I'd never heard of them.
I don't use a pump but I'm on MDI and use the Accuchek Aviva Expert. D'you think I should take a back up meter, or am I being paranoid? I'll take spare pens, as you suggested, just in case. Sod's law says if you don't take it, you'll need it!
A spare meter would probably be a very good idea! I know it's more things to take but you don't want to be second guessing your glucose levels if your meter were to pack in, especially in a foreign land! I've been using the Expert meter for a few weeks now, really really impressed with it, it's helped me no end so far!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Almost certainly take a back-up, bg meters can malfunction as we all know, plus what would happen if you lost your one and only bg meter?

Some good travelling tips in the following article:

https://jdrf.org.uk/living-with-type-1/everyday-life/travelling/

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
A spare meter would probably be a very good idea! I know it's more things to take but you don't want to be second guessing your glucose levels if your meter were to pack in, especially in a foreign land! I've been using the Expert meter for a few weeks now, really really impressed with it, it's helped me no end so far!
I've been type 1 for 36 years and have been using the Expert for the last 2. My HbA1c has come down dramatically. From numbers I'm embarrassed to mention to 45 and 46 (the last two). It's actually changed my life and I feel in control of it all, rather than it just being guesswork. (I use it in conjunction with MyFitnessPal for carbo counting). So good luck. Can't recommend it highly enough! And thanks for the tips.