Can A Person With Readings Around 6 Mmol Live A Long Healthy Life?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I've been wondering whether people who minimise carbs but still get mid 5s-6s can go on to remain a healthy life or whether they'll always be at risk of the dark side of diabetes like amputation, kidney failure etc.

I've not seen any research about it so wonder if anyone here has or has any thoughts on this?

Just curious!
Thanks
Deb x

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
By mid 5s-6s are you talking about old money HbA1c?

I suspect that there won't be a massive amount of data for the next 10-20 years when the increased numbers of T2s diagnosed in their early 60s get through (or not) to their early 80s.

Ask me again in 10 years time; working my way towards the end of the first 10 years and nearly everything is more or less working.

I would also suggest that BG readings are only one factor, albeit an important one.
I am assuming that you also mean living a healthy lifestyle with sensible weight and plenty of exercise.

There are always risks, but there are plenty of risks for non-diabetics as well.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a read of the www.bloodsugar101.com website.
Jenny Rhul (the site creator) has pulled together a lot of research about this, and goes through it in detail.
Very, very informative. :)

She uses a term 'the 5% club' (where your HbA1c is below 6 in old money or below 42mmol/mol in our new units)

If you are IN the 5% club, then your chances of having long term complications are much lower than if you are in the 6% club, or above. With the chances increasing for every rise in HbA1c.

Another factor is how much variation you have in your readings. If your daily variation is low (say you stick in the 5-7mmol/l range all day) then your chance of complications is lower than if you bounce about in the 3-9 mmol/l range. Even though your HbA1c (which is an average reading) will be exactly the same for both situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debmcgee - Like so many things with this condition, I think we can read about likelihood and probability, but of course, there are outlyers in any probability study.

With something longterm, the best any one of us can do is the best job we can, whilst living our lives. Of course that is likely to mean modifications from the starting place, but those modifications need to become the new norm.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I don't think anyone can. Life is uncertain and not every thing that happens is diabetes related. Non-diabetic folks can encounter vascular disease, or eye problems or strokes, or kidney issues. Who is to say that any diabetic encountering any of those things has necessarily encountered then due to their diabetes?

We all have different risk dials which we are more likely to examine. You have to decide where you set the dials.

Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi
I've been wondering whether people who minimise carbs but still get mid 5s-6s can go on to remain a healthy life or whether they'll always be at risk of the dark side of diabetes like amputation, kidney failure etc.

I've not seen any research about it so wonder if anyone here has or has any thoughts on this?

Not sure how far they restricted carbs but Google The 50 Year Joslin Medalist Study.

The study involved people who have lived with type 1 for 50 years or more and around half were free from complications, I'm sure the average HbAc for the group was around 7 which was quite surprising.

Reactions: 2 people

Britmale

the only time I get down to 5 is if I don't eat. the guide I have been given is 4 to 7 before meals, up to 8.5 2 hours after meals. I seem to be ok health wise after 5 years

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your responses. It's very interesting really. Brun- I will checkout the site and have a good read.

When did they change the measurement of hba1c? I missed that one!!

X

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the change took place between 2011 and 2013 during which dual reporting was used for the changeover. If you weren't aware of it then you have not been paying attention.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Matters are confused by some GPs still using the old units, and by America still using them as standard... lol

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Another 7.1 today

But on my old meter that would read as 5.1 so I'm happy with that

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The question I'd like to ask is what effect getting blood sugars down to the prediabetes range or below would have on people who have already gotten complications like many of the folks who have come to this forum after being diabetic over five to ten years.

I'd like to see which protocols have a positive effect on already existing heart disease, neuropathies, eye problems, dental issues, edema, kidney and liver diseases, skin and skeletal concerns.

There are an amazing number of newly diagnosed people on this forum. Some of them have never taken diabetes medications or heart medications, etc. or are on them for a short time.

There are people on here no longer able to exercise in the classic way, people who can no longer drive, people in wheelchairs and people housebound, people unable to get to or afford some of the more exotic diets on here.

I'd like to see some stories and championing of the long timers. There is wisdom in the struggles

Have you read Bernstein? The book is called The Diabetes Solution. He details his own story and shows that keeping a 'normal' HbA1c has reversed almost all of his various complications. He is now thriving, in his 80s.

Last edited by a moderator:

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you read Berstein? The book is called The Diabetes Solution. He details his own story and shows that keeping a 'normal' HbA1c has reversed almost all of his various complications. He is now thriving, in his 80s.

I'm always amazed at your knowledge @Brunneria - thanks for containing to share all this amazing information, it's a constant learning curve!

Reactions: 6 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think you have to look at the whole picture, if your hba1c is under 6% thats great but how is your BP?
Are you over weight?
Are you obese?
Do you have any other medical conditions?
Do you smoke?
Have you ever smoked?
Do you drink?
Do you eat a nutritious diet with enough vitamins and minerals?
Etc
Etc
Etc

Taking one part in isolation will never give the whole picture.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes to all the above except last one which is a no!!!

johnny37

why do you ask? Most diabetics would love to have readings 5-6, if slightly on the low side of normal. . If you do get any diabetic side effects its unlikely to be because of diabetes. Dont worry about it!