What do you think of these numbers

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
9f1ea3f95d32037dbbfff8cfff407a80.jpg
766fe19ac8871a3f23618b0f181f39d1.jpg

I'm really confused what happened at dinner! Why didn't her blood sugar rise until the early hours of the morning? And why did it crash like that?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they are lovely numbers.

Don't know about dinner - what she ate is probably a crucial bit of information for working that out - could be a bit of pizza effect. and that could be inter playing with your basal issues - you said yesterday 2u was too much but you were going to give her a biscuit at bed to get her through the night. Possibly the spike was as a result of the 9pm hypo - protective hormones go out making you insulin resistant when you are hypo so you go up a bit afterwards.

Lots of possibilities. Still a great day numbers wise. The hypos at night a bit more of a worry - that would be my priority to resolve.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry should have said what the food was! It was pasta bolognaise so could well have been that and possibly a little of hypo treatment, I'd expect her to come up 3mmol from the 5g sugar I give.

Yes since its been 2 nights now I'm debating putting it back to 1.5 units but I'm still reluctant as it clearly helped massively... might ring and ask about splitting the dose later on

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I think those numbers look good as well.

I often find that my BG's drop after eating pasta - only to rise later .

just a thought -- as your daughter is so young -- is she still having a bottle ( milk ) as part of her diet ?

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think those numbers look good as well.

I often find that my BG's drop after eating pasta - only to rise later .

just a thought -- as your daughter is so young -- is she still having a bottle ( milk ) as part of her diet ?

No she's dropped all milk drinks now, she's not a fan lol

Simply

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried twice cooking the Pasta . Cook, rinse under cold water ,then add to the sauce when you cook it to heat it again . It makes a great difference to figures afterwards, I find .

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those numbers are looking great - a huge improvement on ones you posted before :cool:

Everyone is different so you'll have to sort through these suggestions to see what might apply, but I find that if I'm low before bed, my normal hypo treatment at a normal, sensible amount will make me noticeable higher than that same treatement during the day. Sometimes so much so that I've retested and retested.

You could try repeating the same meal and see what happens? Sometimes it's useful to do that to see if it's a pattern or just a random event.

I don't have a late rise with pasta, but I spread my bolus over a couple of hours so that might be the reason. However, I personally think that would be a very late rise and so could easily be due to something else, as suggested.

Well done on those figures!

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you tried twice cooking the Pasta . Cook, rinse under cold water ,then add to the sauce when you cook it to heat it again . It makes a great difference to figures afterwards, I find .
No but dietitian did suggest this also, will have to try it

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Those numbers are looking great - a huge improvement on ones you posted before :cool:

Everyone is different so you'll have to sort through these suggestions to see what might apply, but I find that if I'm low before bed, my normal hypo treatment at a normal, sensible amount will make me noticeable higher than that same treatement during the day. Sometimes so much so that I've retested and retested.

You could try repeating the same meal and see what happens? Sometimes it's useful to do that to see if it's a pattern or just a random event.

I don't have a late rise with pasta, but I spread my bolus over a couple of hours so that might be the reason. However, I personally think that would be a very late rise and so could easily be due to something else, as suggested.

Well done on those figures!
If anything I think it was the meat/sauce/cheese not the pasta itself iykwim?

Yes I think a repeat is in order to see what happens :)

What do you think in regards to the levemir dosing? It's helped with meals but obviously were having night hypos

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As you know, no one here can give anything but their personal opinions as we're not professionals, so this is just what I would do - others may do differently :)

I'd stick with the Levemir as it is a little longer and keep detailed records of any hypos. I'm not sure if your app allows you to do that, but you can always use pen and paper. I'd want to know if the hypos were consistent and if they looked like they were being caused by the Levemir rather than other factors. I'd also be setting alarms to check at night, but I think you do that anyway :)

If you're happy continuing a little longer, with your team's agreement, of course, you may gain more information and also have a chance at trying various things eg tiny snacks, where appropriate.

If that didn't work and you felt the lows were unmanageable, I'd then move on to trying split Levemir doses so that the evening dose can be set to hopefully avoid nighttime lows.

Again, this is just what I would do. I'd also add that if I felt at any time that the hypos were too bad, I'd stop and try something else. Safety first - always :)

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As you know, no one here can give anything but their personal opinions as we're not professionals, so this is just what I would do - others may do differently :)

I'd stick with the Levemir as it is a little longer and keep detailed records of any hypos. I'm not sure if your app allows you to do that, but you can always use pen and paper. I'd want to know if the hypos were consistent and if they looked like they were being caused by the Levemir rather than other factors. I'd also be setting alarms to check at night, but I think you do that anyway :)

If you're happy continuing a little longer, with your team's agreement, of course, you may gain more information and also have a chance at trying various things eg tiny snacks, where appropriate.

If that didn't work and you felt the lows were unmanageable, I'd then move on to trying split Levemir doses so that the evening dose can be set to hopefully avoid nighttime lows.

Again, this is just what I would do. I'd also add that if I felt at any time that the hypos were too bad, I'd stop and try something else. Safety first - always :)

Oh yes i know im just hoping fresh sets of eyes might spot something id overlook :)

I'm checking her 3 times through the night at the moment so it won't be an issue to wait a little longer

Reactions: himtoo and azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok - well basically, I'd stick with it a little longer, and try tiny food adjustments like snacks or mini snacks to see if the hypos can be avoided. I know people say you shouldn't 'eat to feed the insulin' but this is one occasion where I'd certainly do just that if it meant better sugars overall ( and was safe).

Splitting Levemir is quite common - probably more common than not splitting it - but I don't know whether that applies to children.

I think your answer will be in trying the same meal again to see if you get similar results. If you do, you could consider giving slightly more carbs at the earlier low to try to,avoid the later low and so avoid having that hypo and possibly rebound/overreaction to glucose late evening.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If anything I think it was the meat/sauce/cheese not the pasta itself iykwim?

Yes I think a repeat is in order to see what happens :)

What do you think in regards to the levemir dosing? It's helped with meals but obviously were having night hypos

Shivles, my comment is purely on the pasta bolognaise and how my body deals with it, and is only made for information, rather than to influence anything you may do for your daughter.

My experience and conclusions with pasta based meals is that the effect they have on me is a combination of the wheat based pasta plus a sauce including a fair element of fat. My personal numbers don't go high, but they do go a bit higher than usual, and stay there much longer.

I've never been a pasta fan and nor is MrB (phew), so it was an ideal opportunity just to give it up. I haven't bothered with pasta, unless it's on the menu when we're eating with friends in their home, and then I just have a modest portion. Many, many people find pasta has quite a deferred rise. For some the twice cooked aspect helps and for others it has no impact. Yo be honest I didn't enjoy it enough to go through the faff.

I do hope you get to a more comfortable place with and for your daughter. This condition is a real jigsaw, and I can see with a little one it has added dimensions .

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@AndBreathe To be fair, you have extra/different things to think about being treated by diet only.

Many Type 1s eat a moderate portion of pasta with no trouble, and I don't think pasta is a major factor in this because the rise was quite late.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, @azure , I agree. That's why I started my message as I did.

I openly admit I don't have the in-depth knowledge of insulin and certainly no personal experience to bring to bear, never mind for a child.

Reactions: azure

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
4c0fc4e0f3196559a9deca2327b54f9b.jpg

Hmm that spike off only 11g carbs which I gave insulin for? Seems like the levemir has run out by lunch

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We find that levemir in small doses only lasts about 8 hours, certainly not the 24 hours it's needed for. We split it three ways to cover the 24 hour period. We give at 7am, 3.30pm and 11pm. We tried just twice a day, but it left late afternoon rises, where it had run out, and night time hypos still as the evening dose was too big. I guess what we've done now is kind of split the evening dose to rectify those problems. Best of luck.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had same problem going low 6-8 hrs after Levemir dose then high after as it ran out. Also did the 3x per day to prove my case that it was better and finally got moved to Tresiba last week. Early days on that so I'll not comment either way yet but I am hopeful it will be more consistent through the day.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ps 6am, 2pm and 10pm were my splits - it was a real pain especially to remember the 2pm one at work.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah we picked our split cos I do the 3.30 shot as soon as we get back from school. Was a nightmare to remember over the summer hols!