Help!!

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am freaking out - I've just found out I'm 6weeks pregnant today & last night I inserted the new freestyle libre flash glucose system. It says on the website not for use in pregnant women, the help lines are closed and I don't know if I should just rip it out? Does anyone else use it or used in early pregnancy? According to Google there are trials going on in pregnancy greater than 12weeks. I don't if it's not indicated because blood sugars can vary in first 12weeks etc or is it because it is harmful to baby? I know other pregnant people have CGM's? I'd be so grateful for feedback as I think I'm going to rip it out, but it was brand new yesterday & it's meant to be for tracking overnight hypos for me but of course if it was harmful id remove it straight away.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
guess it is most harmfull if you get far too low blood glucose and far too high...but if you phone tomorrow I am sure it is not to late
yes Congratulation !

Last edited:
Reactions: marie85

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no need to rip it out. It just means don't rely on it in the same way - make sure to augment your scans by finger pricks. But having the sensor in won't do you or bump any harm.

Congratulations.

Reactions: Struma and marie85

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you so much for your prompt replies. That's what I was thinking too (when I calmed down enough to think!)... This is my second sensor so I do know from using it before I would never be too far from my glucometer to check/compare the sensor with. Just freaked out!! I guess the manufacturers don't want pregnant women to use incase it's inaccurate, I'm just using it while I wait on a CGM.

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason is during pregnancy you will have very low lows and high and sometimes swings which lots of normal people have. In pregnancy sugar levels can change quickly and the libre has 20 min delay. Just use your common sense and finger test to make sure. I use the libre and do that as standard anyway. Good luck with your pregnancy; congratulations xx

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Aw bless you - I agree with the others that they'll be recommending it's not used in pregnancy as blood sugars are so much more erratic - not because it will harm baby in any way.

I'm just a couple of weeks ahead from you (will be 8wks on Monday) - and I can *totally* empathize!

Please don't worry about the Libre - just double check it more with your meter - and most importantly, congratulations! X

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
I agree with all of the above. I've been using the Libra throughout my pregnancy (34 weeks) and it's fine. It's just a case of not relying on it but doing your fingerpricks. I use it to track trends and it's helped me loads. Steady Hba1c of 32 all through pregnancy and I credit the Libre for that.

Reactions: azure and marie85

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you ladies I've been attending the pre pregnancy clinic for nearly a year & I got the go ahead a couple of months ago with a hba1c of 58 & obviously try to reduce it further(had been 75 this time last year). However we said we wouldn't really 'try' until this month as lots going on over August/Sept however it turns out I'm 5weeks today (sorry miscalculated 6wks in previous post) & I'm stressing about highs in weeks before I found out...I'm guessing in the first few weeks post conception I'd been at a hen & a wedding so had been drinking & petrified that I've harmed baby & also looking back through glucometer highs that I wouldn't normally have had. Without knowing I was pregnant since last Wednesday I've been 'good' again & except a few reading above 10 I'm nearly getting targets. Just off the phone to my DM nurse she will see me in the high risk clinic on Monday & I'm seeing my GP this evening. Just so scared with the alcohol in the first 1-2 weeks before I knew(none in last 12days) & high blood sugars @ start.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
@marie85 , easy to say but don't stress about sugars or behaviour before you found out. Just look to today and tomorrow and do the best you can. Babies are resilient little things! You'll do great.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@marie85 please don't worry about the drinks... Nearly all my friends have had babies (I'm in my late thirties - so most of them have gotten on with it by now!;)
-- and nearly every single one of them worried about the fact they'd had drinks before they knew they were pregnant - a couple got pregnant on boozy holidays - so *a lot* of drinks - and every single one of them have perfectly healthy babies x

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Congratulations ! Most mothers to be have had a drink or two or done other no no's in that first couple of weeks before you know. There is no harm done as the baby was not using your blood supply yet. The umbilical cord does not form until 5 or 6 weeks. Before that baby uses a yolk sack for nutrition. You are fine and will obviously be an awesome mom.

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your replies :happy:
I had an appt with my endo this afternoon and although I thought my blood sugars were good they say I need them to be tighter eg fasting of 5.3 is too high they want <5. I showed them my during the night readings of 4.5@1am & 4am but they've increase my basal(levemir) at night by 2units which I'm afraid will put me hypo given the 4.5 earlier in the night. Just wondering what other people's experiences are of hitting the targets of <5 pre meals & <7 2hrs post. What readings do people go to bed at? Feel a bit down hearted after the clinic & worried as I thought I'd been doing ok.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your replies :happy:
I had an appt with my endo this afternoon and although I thought my blood sugars were good they say I need them to be tighter eg fasting of 5.3 is too high they want <5. I showed them my during the night readings of 4.5@1am & 4am but they've increase my basal(levemir) at night by 2units which I'm afraid will put me hypo given the 4.5 earlier in the night. Just wondering what other people's experiences are of hitting the targets of <5 pre meals & <7 2hrs post. What readings do people go to bed at? Feel a bit down hearted after the clinic & worried as I thought I'd been doing ok.

I would say I manage these targets 70% of the time but try not to let it get to me when I don't. I had to reduce my insulin requirements but over half when I first found out I was pregnant and am still on that now at 25 weeks. I'm ok 24 levemir in the morning and 10 at night (although I've reduced to 8 the past couple of nights as keep hypoing in the night). Usually if I go to bed under 6 I can guarantee I'll have a hypo in the night which obviously isn't correct so need to continue to adjust my night time levemir.

Just stay in close contact with your team and let them know of any patterns that emerge or if your having constant hypos and or high readings.

Did you get a book to record your readings in? It's easy to send them a picture to notice patterns if you have!

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would say I manage these targets 70% of the time but try not to let it get to me when I don't. I had to reduce my insulin requirements but over half when I first found out I was pregnant and am still on that now at 25 weeks. I'm ok 24 levemir in the morning and 10 at night (although I've reduced to 8 the past couple of nights as keep hypoing in the night). Usually if I go to bed under 6 I can guarantee I'll have a hypo in the night which obviously isn't correct so need to continue to adjust my night time levemir.

Just stay in close contact with your team and let them know of any patterns that emerge or if your having constant hypos and or high readings.

Did you get a book to record your readings in? It's easy to send them a picture to notice patterns if you have!

Thanks - yes I do have a book and after writing in my last weeks of readings for the clinic today it does definitely identify patterns that if I had not have written down I probably wouldn't have noticed.
Yes sounds like team are going to keep a close eye-seen today-phone call/email to Nurse on Thursday with advice for weekend if needed then appt again Monday with possibility of going fortnightly then with phone contact in between with the nurses. (FYI levemir increased tomorrow am with possibility of nighttime dose increasing also. They're happy enough with my boluses.)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found I had hypos early in pregnancy that made my fasting blood sugars be lower than they would have been without any adjustment to my insulin. If you're concerned your basal change may send you too low, then test during the night. It's a nuisance but really good for reassurance and information.

I can't remember the fasting target I was given, but I believe it was 5.6 or below. I achieved that the majority of the time, but I had the odd higher reading. Pregnancy hormones can have a big effect on your blood sugars, so be prepared and test lots and lots.

It's good your team are being so involved.