BS 2.6 before bedtime - Please help

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been sick three times tonight, after dinner and have just done my bs and it is 2.6. I have been told if it is below 6/7 before bedtime to have another snack. I am new to this. I have just had some fresh orange and will take another reading in 15 minutes or so but what if it remains low???????. I am not regulated yet and I think the hlf glizlizide I am take at night with my 1000 Metformen is taking me too low.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2.6 is really quite low. Are you having any hypo symptoms? Do you normally run quite low - I would expect someone who wasn't hypo a lot to be feeling really very hypo at 2.6 - maybe not able to type in nice full sentences. Could you retest?

If you are feeling off, it's definitely better to treat it as a hypo rather than faff around retesting. You should treat your hypo with fast acting sugar - so dextrose tablets, jelly babies, lucozade, fruit juice, honey, jam something like that will bring your blood sugar up quickly without you needing to eat too much while you are feeling sick.

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks but
2.6 is really quite low. Are you having any hypo symptoms? Do you normally run quite low - I would expect someone who wasn't hypo a lot to be feeling really very hypo at 2.6 - maybe not able to type in nice full sentences. Could you retest?

If you are feeling off, it's definitely better to treat it as a hypo rather than faff around retesting. You should treat your hypo with fast acting sugar - so dextrose tablets, jelly babies, lucozade, fruit juice, honey, jam something like that will bring your blood sugar up quickly without you needing to eat too much while you are feeling sick.

Thanks, but what if I keep being sick. What happens if I go to sleep on a low bs level?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, it's been 15 minutes, have you eaten some fast acting sugar and tested again? If it's fast acting sugar you should be able to digest and absorb it in between being sick, unless you are being sick every 5-10 minutes and can't keep anything down.

What's your blood sugar now?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One glass of fresh orange and it is now 4. I will have another one now

If you think you can keep it down, have something like a rich tea or digestive biscuit as some long acting carbs to keep you stable overnight.

Maybe set an alarm to test your blood sugar in the night.

Feel better soon.

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you think you can keep it down, have something like a rich tea or digestive biscuit as some long acting carbs to keep you stable overnight.

Maybe set an alarm to test your blood sugar in the night.

Feel better soon.
Thank you. I am just scared of what could happen if I am asleep

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well your blood sugar has come up now. Test again now and see what it is. You've got a fair bit of OJ onboard that should be enough glucose to keep your levels safe. If you can keep down a biscuit, or a bit of dry toast or a weatabix that will give you a bit more reassurance that you'll be fine.

You can always set an alarm to test your bloods every few hours and make sure you have some fast acting sugar by your bed.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, sorry to be a bother

It's not a bother - check your levels have continued rising (I'm sure they will be well on their way to 6 by now), see if you can eat a biscuit, set an alarm to test at 2 or 3 and get a bit of sleep.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be that your medication dosage is too high for you. It's a good idea to speak with your doc there to revise the medication you're on.

The reading of 2.6 is hypo level and too low as Catapillar has already mentioned. You couldn't go to sleep on a level like that. You'd have to treat it with quick acting carb which you did, then you'd need to eat something with long acting carb in it to keep your levels stable during the night. I was taught the 15 g of carb and wait 15 minutes rule. But being honest when you're low you lose count of the amount of quick acting carb you're taking in. I use a 200mL juice box to treat mine which usually works quick. If you're feeling sick the orange juice may upset your stomach... try a different type of juice maybe. I can only tolerate the blackcurrant and apple one (well it's the safest for me out of all the options for my stomach).

I hope your bedtime levels improve for you. I wish you the best. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have a word with your GP, as glicizide is known to take your blood glucose levels into hypo levels.

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may be that your medication dosage is too high for you. It's a good idea to speak with your doc there to revise the medication you're on.

The reading of 2.6 is hypo level and too low as Catapillar has already mentioned. You couldn't go to sleep on a level like that. You'd have to treat it with quick acting carb which you did, then you'd need to eat something with long acting carb in it to keep your levels stable during the night. I was taught the 15 g of carb and wait 15 minutes rule. But being honest when you're low you lose count of the amount of quick acting carb you're taking in. I use a 200mL juice box to treat mine which usually works quick. If you're feeling sick the orange juice may upset your stomach... try a different type of juice maybe. I can only tolerate the blackcurrant and apple one (well it's the safest for me out of all the options for my stomach).

I hope your bedtime levels improve for you. I wish you the best. :)
Thanks everyone. I did not have a good night at all. I was making my way to the toilet to be sick and blacked out, I have lovely black eye. I was shivering, then hot, my husband was panicking and said he would ring am ambulance but I said I did not need one, it was only a hypo. I then blacked out again. When I eventually got to bed my bs were 4.4. I have rung for an emergency appointment and have one tomorrow but I will not take the Gliclazide tonight. Thanks for your help everyone

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How horrible : ( I hope you're feeling better soon.

Take care X

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I did not have a good night at all. I was making my way to the toilet to be sick and blacked out, I have lovely black eye. I was shivering, then hot, my husband was panicking and said he would ring am ambulance but I said I did not need one, it was only a hypo. I then blacked out again. When I eventually got to bed my bs were 4.4. I have rung for an emergency appointment and have one tomorrow but I will not take the Gliclazide tonight. Thanks for your help everyone

I'm sorry to hear that @Rosiek shivering and hot could be shock from passing out, or it could be a combo of whatever was making you sick + the hypo. I think if you ar loosing conciousness that probably is the time to call an ambulance for help, even if it is "just a hypo". Hope you were treating it with more fast acting sugars and your levels feel a bit more stable today.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, good idea not to take the Gliclazide until you speak to your doc. Sorry to hear you blacked out. Your doc may do further tests on you. As already mentioned above I hope you treated the hypo ok. I do hate it though when I have to treat hypos in the middle of the night... having to eat before I go back to bed. But we have to do what has to be done to stay safe. I wish you the best. :) Let us know how you go.