Too low BG after exercise

ziaarain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everybody i have started wieght training since two weeks and my BG level drop too low after exercise how to maintain it

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody i have started wieght training since two weeks and my BG level drop too low after exercise how to maintain it
Most of us find that exercise lowers our BG. Although short intensive exercise can make it rise - long duration activities and weights tend to make BG drop.

You should have some carbs at hand when training. I find (when I'm out on long cycles) that 'High 5 Energy Source (dissolvable powder drink) keeps my BG up when on the bike. I know how much my BG drops per hour hour and drink enough to keep it level.

If you're finding that you're BG is fine when lifting weights but you're getting delayed hypos in the hours following. You may want to have a low GI carb snack afterwards to make up for your BG heading downwards.

Last edited:

ziaarain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of us find that exercise lowers our BG. Although short intensive exercise can make it rise - long duration activities and weights tend to make BG drop.

You should have some carbs at hand when training. I find (when I'm out on long cycles) that High 5 Energy source drinks (dissolvable powder form) keep my BG up when on the bike. I know how much my BG drops per hour hour and drink enough to keep it level.

If you're finding that you're BG is fine when lifting weights but you're getting delayed hypos in the hours following. You may want to have a low GI carb snack afterwards to make up for your BG heading downwards.
Thnx grant but how to decide that what should be least BG to start exercise to end up safely

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thnx grant but how to decide that what should be least BG to start exercise to end up safely
Only you can answer that @ziaarain. You need to work out how much your BG drops both during exercise and afterwards. When you know that, then you can take sufficient carbohydrates on-board to compensate for this.

Every diabetic will have different rates of BG drops so there is no way I can tell you the answer.

It's advisable not to exercise with a BG lower than 5.5mmol/L or higher than 13mmol/L:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/exercise-for-diabetics.html

ziaarain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only you can answer that @ziaarain. You need to work out how much your BG drops both during exercise and afterwards. When you know that, then you can take sufficient carbohydrates on-board to compensate for this.

Every diabetic will have different rates of BG drops so there is no way I can tell you the answer.
thnx a lot Grant for nice advice i will now work with the BG levels as you told

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thnx a lot Grant for nice advice i will now work with the BG levels as you told
I just noticed that you are a T2, do you take medication or use insulin? How low did your BG get?

ziaarain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagonsed two months ago and i am trying to control my BG by exercise and diet but cant getting the right combination.
And my Bg often drops to 60mg/dl

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am newly diagonsed two months ago and i am trying to control my BG by exercise and diet but cant getting the right combination.
And my Bg often drops to 60mg/dl
Normally a T2D who does not take any medication is unlikley to have low BG. Diabetes is diagnosed through having regularly elevated blood glucose.

It's possible that your BG has been fairly high for a long time so when it comes down to a good value (such as 4-5mmol/L) your body actually perceives this as low and you present the classic hypo symptoms. It still doesn't explain your 3.3mmol/L; your liver should have kicked in and released glycogen into your blood stream - raising your BG. What meter do you use and do you re-check when you get these low numbers?

What sort of changes have you made to your diet? If you've cut out a lot of carbohydrates then it's possible to have low BG, but again - unlikely as a non-medicated T2.

Do you ever go low a few hours after a high carb meal? If you do then that points towards a different issue altogether.

Reactions: Bebo321

ziaarain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally a T2D who does not take any medication is unlikley to have low BG. Diabetes is diagnosed through having regularly elevated blood glucose.

It's possible that your BG has been fairly high for a long time so when it comes down to a good value (such as 4-5mmol/L) your body actually perceives this as low and you present the classic hypo symptoms. It still doesn't explain your 3.3mmol/L; your liver should have kicked in and released glycogen into your blood stream - raising your BG. What meter do you use and do you re-check when you get these low numbers?

What sort of changes have you made to your diet? If you've cut out a lot of carbohydrates then it's possible to have low BG, but again - unlikely as a non-medicated T2.

Do you ever go low a few hours after a high carb meal? If you do then that points towards a different issue altogether.
I do agree with the possibility you have mention that due to elevated Bg for long time now due to diet and exercise my system is percieving the normals as low
and you are right about my the levels after high carb meal, my level after 2 to three hours after meal are 105 to 125 but my fasting is bd is oftenly elevated within110to130.
I havent rechecked the lows again and i am using optium exceed meter.
I have reduce carbs intake and now using mostly vegetables

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you are right about my the levels after high carb meal, my level after 2 to three hours after meal are 105 to 125 but my fasting is bd is oftenly elevated within110to130.

All those levels are within normal range for a T2D so I wouldn't be concerned at all.

When I asked about going low after meals, I meant do you ever have hypos 2-5 hours after eating a carb heavy meal. As in, a BG less than 4mmol/L? If so, it may indicate a condition called reactive hypoglycaemia. But it's fairly uncommon.

Even healthy individual can suffer from low BG, especially when making dramatic changes to their diet. Remember that if you've heavily reduced your carb intake that you should really increase your intake of healthy fats.

If you keep getting unexplainable low BG you should go and see your Dr.

ziaarain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All those levels are within normal range for a T2D so I wouldn't be concerned at all.

When I asked about going low after meals, I meant do you ever have hypos 2-5 hours after eating a carb heavy meal. As in, a BG less than 4mmol/L? If so, it may indicate a condition called reactive hypoglycaemia. But it's fairly uncommon.

Even healthy individual can suffer from low BG, especially when making dramatic changes to their diet. Remember that if you've heavily reduced your carb intake that you should really increase your intake of healthy fats.

If you keep getting unexplainable low BG you should go and see your Dr.
Dear GrantGam i am realy thankful to you and i have facing the same condition you mentoned reactive hypoglycemia because aftet a heavy meal even my BG us normal i felt like lower BG.
Dear today i check my BG just before workout its 130mg/dl which is 2hour after meal but only after 10minutes of workout it falls to 73mg/dl. Is it normal response of body???
again thanx alot for your advice

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear GrantGam i am realy thankful to you and i have facing the same condition you mentoned reactive hypoglycemia because aftet a heavy meal even my BG us normal i felt like lower BG.
Dear today i check my BG just before workout its 130mg/dl which is 2hour after meal but only after 10minutes of workout it falls to 73mg/dl. Is it normal response of body???
again thanx alot for your advice
No problem, although I feel some things are being lost in translation...

I don't have reactive hypoglycaemia. But to see if it's an issue with yourself; test your BG after a carb based meal at hourly intervals up until the 5 hour mark. Make sure you're not lifting any weights or doing any exercise in the 5 hours following that meal.

Your BG shouldn't be dropping during exercise as a non-medicated T2D. I'd go and see your Dr for professional advice.

Good luck,
Grant

Reactions: Bebo321

nemiabonny

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Grant,

Excellent reply!

Based on my 25+ years of experience with my type 2 diabetes, I have never had a hypo problem. Since my diagnosis in July 1991 (my first blood sugar reading was 468 mg/dl), I have always been using diet and exercise to control my disease. So far so good. My past A1c's were between 5.2% and 6.3%. My last one was 5.8% on October 3, 2016. I run or walk the stairs 4x/day for a total of 1 hour per day. I eat only 2 meals/day, no snacks. I have always been on HCLF diet. My food must be heart-healthy, natural, fresh (raw or cooked), unprocessed, and whole. I am very aware that carbohydrates caused high fasting and post-meal blood sugar levels which I have always been having but they are harmless to me maybe because of my daily exercise.

Bonny Damocles
Male, 80 1/2 years old, 137 lbs., 5'7"
Control Method: E&E
No pharma drugs for any health problems
First 25-year untreated and complication-free t2d

Reactions: GrantGam

ziaarain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thnx alot both of you now i have decided to see the GP .
Thanx again