Medical review to see if i can stay in my current employment.

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bravo2zero doing service at the moment the down grading stops me doing front line work. My current post/rank will not change.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @delmcp .
What are the chances of a backup plan if discharged due to ill health?
I can asure you as an insulin dependant diabetic you can find some good jobs still. I know a little scary leaving military but civy life just as exciting and ambitious. Many make that change and enjoy their new career. Don't let diabetes rule your life. You command it. Goodluck and take support with you if changing contractual terms. ;)

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Good luck @delmcp from an ex RAF Brat & Former Wife!

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ickihun, @Robinredbreast, @Clivethedrive and @ellagy thanks for your word of support, i do have a back up plan of sorts, yes i am a little scared of the transition to civvy life as the military is all i have know since i was 16 and a half years old, almost 29 years service lol.

Thanks again all for the kind word of support.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Reactions: delmcp

Bravo2zero

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfit thin people who think all over weight people are unfit
Hi it's like 20 questions, bearing in mind security are you always uk based then deployed aboard or are you always abroad

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Bravo2zero my temp downgrading restricts me to uk only, i am currently in the uk.
@delmcp Is your only stumbling block the fact your type1 or have you complications too?. As i had a brainwave and im sure they cannot sack u due to a disability but someone more qualified than i may intervien as its a fine line. I wish I was an expert in employment law but not. Would you not consider seeking their advice? I know this forum cannot give you legal advice but you definitely have time to seek some. Goodluck.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@delmcp Is your only stumbling block the fact your type1 or have you complications too?. As i had a brainwave and im sure they cannot sack u due to a disability but someone more qualified than i may intervien as its a fine line. I wish I was an expert in employment law but not. Would you not consider seeking their advice? I know this forum cannot give you legal advice but you definitely have time to seek some. Goodluck.

Ickihun, it is perfectly legal for someone to be let go on the basis of disability, if after reasonable adjustments they are unable to perform the material duties of their job. There are various steps and processes to go through, but it is similar to someone being let go when they have repeated ill-health, requiring repeated periods away from work.

As I say, the devil's in the detail, but it can be perfectly legal, and sometimes the only option available to an employer.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun, it is perfectly legal for someone to be let go on the basis of disability, if after reasonable adjustments they are unable to perform the material duties of their job. There are various steps and processes to go through, but it is similar to someone being let go when they have repeated ill-health, requiring repeated periods away from work.

As I say, the devil's in the detail, but it can be perfectly legal, and sometimes the only option available to an employer.
Thanks @AndBreathe .

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all just an update on my situation, the medical profession has cleared me to carry on with a few limitations on what I can do.
1. Unfit to work at heights above 2 mtrs.
2. Unfit to work in confined spaces.
3. Unfit to drive passengers in a works vehicle.
4. Unfit to drive LGV/PCV.
5. Unfit to work outside the UK.

So the next stage is for HR to decide if I can still perform the role I am currently doing.
So a little good news i suppose.-

Reactions: ickihun

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s It is written in the MOD's medical publication as two of the limitations for someone with T1.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s It is written in the MOD's medical publication as two of the limitations for someone with T1.
Wow. Guess I better get off my 5m ladder I use for painting the windows at home.....! That one really does seem, well, odd!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I guess it now depends on your role as to whether these restrictions stop you performing your duties.
If so whether you can apply for a different position more suitable? Is that an option in the MOD ?
Reasonable adjustments may be covered already by first 2 limitations?
I think depends on the employer and business needs?
I hope MOD can help you out for your career to contine. I bet not just a job for you, but a career.
I hope it works itself out in your favour. I'm wishing you the very best!

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow. Guess I better get off my 5m ladder I use for painting the windows at home.....! That one really does seem, well, odd!
Tim I totally agree with you, but it did not stop me going up my ladder to the attic to get the Christmas decorations.
The are just protecting me as an employee with the first two and the 3rd is protecting my work collogues.

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ickihun thanks very much for your kind word, and I am sure things will go in my favour.