Latest guidelines

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Haven't had time to read the thread throughly but I saw my diabetologist last week and he sat next with a diabetic nurse from Australia I think and she ne told to keep my blood sugars higher than the last 40 years.
Before it was between 4-7 now I'm being told that as I approach 49 to keep it higher around 7-8
When you're younger you need to keep it lower to avoid vein/kidney/eye etc damage bit when you get my age protecting the heart and grey matter takes priority meaning no sugars below 4.
I've been a T1 on 6 injections a day since age of 4 and have no issues with kidneys,heart etc and my eyes are stable having had a lot of laser and injections but no treatment needed on them for a few years now.
This is the first I've heard of having to keep blood sugars around 7 - 8

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haven't had time to read the thread throughly but I saw my diabetologist last week and he sat next with a diabetic nurse from Australia I think and she ne told to keep my blood sugars higher than the last 40 years.
Before it was between 4-7 now I'm being told that as I approach 49 to keep it higher around 7-8
When you're younger you need to keep it lower to avoid vein/kidney/eye etc damage bit when you get my age protecting the heart and grey matter takes priority meaning no sugars below 4.
I've been a T1 on 6 injections a day since age of 4 and have no issues with kidneys,heart etc and my eyes are stable having had a lot of laser and injections but no treatment needed on them for a few years now.
This is the first I've heard of having to keep blood sugars around 7 - 8
All I have learned, is that consistency of information is required. Even if info does not currently apply to us because of age or other circumstances, we should be made firmly aware of all of it as we could need to know it at some point.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi All
Fascinating discussion.
Am i the only type 1 who uses nanopass 4mm needles from terumo uk ?
I still marvel at the size after 3 years and when i take a trip down memory lane to the big painfull jobbies with glass syringes and injectaguns it makes me smile at what people complain about.
I am a new member to the forum and please don't take offence at my remarks as i love this type of discussion and the reminder how far we have come in a very short period of time and its all good.

Regards
Tony

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have just been told by my new pump lady to set targets at 7-8....
Gggrr...... will do a different posting on this.. but annoyed...

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just been told by my new pump lady to set targets at 7-8....
Gggrr...... will do a different posting on this.. but annoyed...

I think we could all end up very frustrated with the sheer amount of differing advice thrown around. It's not as if NICE are vague. The only thing we can hope for and push for, is consistency in the advice we are given.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
People think of the NHS as a whole... it isn't. Every CCG gives their own double reds for drugs tgey won't prescribe or drugs they can prescribe... so when everything is so split with drugs even before training we don't have a hope in hell unless people like Tim get the info they need to tackle the hospitals like yours that really aren't accurately representing data and giving good advice.

I also challenge my CCG and previously CCG on their decisions but the NHS will always be split now.

They have no bargaining power anymore as all the hospitals / CCG's are split and don't have the bargaining power of buying in bulk etc. The whole system is too complex... training needs to be nationally agreed but tgere isn't a hope in hell....

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
People think of the NHS as a whole... it isn't. Every CCG gives their own double reds for drugs tgey won't prescribe or drugs they can prescribe... so when everything is so split with drugs even before training we don't have a hope in hell unless people like Tim get the info they need to tackle the hospitals like yours that really aren't accurately representing data and giving good advice.

I also challenge my CCG and previously CCG on their decisions but the NHS will always be split now.

They have no bargaining power anymore as all the hospitals / CCG's are split and don't have the bargaining power of buying in bulk etc. The whole system is too complex... training needs to be nationally agreed but tgere isn't a hope in hell....

I know, it often depends on where you live as to whether certain treatments or drugs are available. I know for a fact that pumps are not available in my area. I also have Crohn's disease, and have had very nasty reactions to every drug I have been prescribed for that so I said no more. Earlier this year I was offered something called methotrexate which used to be used to treat terminal cancer patients, but is still offered before far newer and safer Crohn's treatments because it has been around for ages and is dirt cheap. I said no way and have actually been drug free for Crohn's since 2012 without issue. They know ow exactly what a similar drug called azathioprine did to me, yet if I experience a flare up, I have to risk my life taking methotrexate before I would be given option of something that might not kill me. And that is no exaggeration.

Last edited:

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All
Fascinating discussion.
Am i the only type 1 who uses nanopass 4mm needles from terumo uk ?
I still marvel at the size after 3 years and when i take a trip down memory lane to the big painfull jobbies with glass syringes and injectaguns it makes me smile at what people complain about.
I am a new member to the forum and please don't take offence at my remarks as i love this type of discussion and the reminder how far we have come in a very short period of time and its all good.

Regards
Tony
To be honest I have never heard of that brand of needles, I use penfine and that was only after I had to fight to not have to put up with the GlucoRX needles.