Personal trainers

michelleb43

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I'm looking for a personal trainer in Hertfordshire, but as soon as I mention I'm type 1 they're not interested or want to charge extortionate rates, can anyone recommend a trainer?

Thanks
Michelle

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@michelleb43 . Hi Michelle, can't recommend a personal trainer but I'm curious to know why you feel the need for one?
I've witnessed a lot of people turn to personal trainers without any real need.
Personal trainers are good/useful in certain circumstances but not always necessary on a regular basis.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband has a personal trainer. He's been going to see him every week for over three years now and it's done him the world of good. James didn't really have a clue about that sort of thing and would have just messed about on a treadmill, but the trainer (sadly not in your area) has taught him all sorts of things about different muscles and core strength. He still comes home having learnt new things and having new things to work on. We all get lazy from time to time and a trainer keeps you going at these moments.
If you fancy having a trainer, try and get one.
Sally

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@michelleb43 . OK good enough reason. Still can't recommend a PT in your area, have you tried local gym's or leisure centres? Often people who work there like to supplement their income with one to one sessions. A simple phone call and just ask if any instructors do personal one to one sessions.
Good luck whatever you find.

michelleb43

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My husband has a personal trainer. He's been going to see him every week for over three years now and it's done him the world of good. James didn't really have a clue about that sort of thing and would have just messed about on a treadmill, but the trainer (sadly not in your area) has taught him all sorts of things about different muscles and core strength. He still comes home having learnt new things and having new things to work on. We all get lazy from time to time and a trainer keeps you going at these moments.
If you fancy having a trainer, try and get one.
Sally
Yeah thats some of the reasons i reasons i want try a personal trainer, especially to keep me motivated

michelleb43

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@michelleb43 . OK good enough reason. Still can't recommend a PT in your area, have you tried local gym's or leisure centres? Often people who work there like to supplement their income with one to one sessions. A simple phone call and just ask if any instructors do personal one to one sessions.
Good luck whatever you find.
Thanks. Yeah tried local gyms the T1 puts them off

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. Yeah tried local gyms the T1 puts them off

Perhaps look in your local,paper or ask again at the gym? I used to go to a local gym and nobody fussed about my Type 1 at all. I'm surprised that anyone should do so. Obviously you need to mention it for safety reasons, but perhaps kind of downplay it or assure them you can manage?

I had my own trainer at the gym at one period and he just let me stop to,test my BS but was completely guided by me and if I said I was fine on we went.

Bear in mind that some of the responses you get could be because of simple lack of knowledge of Type 1.

michelleb43

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Perhaps look in your local,paper or ask again at the gym? I used to go to a local gym and nobody fussed about my Type 1 at all. I'm surprised that anyone should do so. Obviously you need to mention it for safety reasons, but perhaps kind of downplay it or assure them you can manage?

I had my own trainer at the gym at one period and he just let me stop to,test my BS but was completely guided by me and if I said I was fine on we went.

Bear in mind that some of the responses you get could be because of simple lack of knowledge of Type 1.
I think its an insurance issue with the T1.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think its an insurance issue with the T1.

Check the Equality Act. I didn't think discrimination like that was allowed - or it certainly wasn't in my gym (not sure about individual independent trainers).

A quick Google suggests a letter from your doctor might be enough (and would apply if you had other conditions too).

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I can't directly help but I'll ask a friend of mine, she is a PT and works for Equinox. a while back she mentioned there being a training module she could do that covered diabetes and training so I'm assuming there must be some people willing to take us on... Will let you know

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
some doctors are able to refer patients to gym to aid weight loss, my Aunt was given free sessions for a fixed period of time when she was diagnosed type 2. It may be worth asking your Doctor where/if they refer patients too. your may not get a referral for free but it should mean that that Gym will and staff that would take you on.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I get it, I share an office with my wife who has a Physio rehab centre with all the equipment I need, I also have some of her high quality cast offs at home, but I still joined a gym for additional motivation. It's a shame you are not in North Essex, as my gym is just brilliant and the trainers do personal sessions. A compromise might be to join your gym and do cardio / HiiT sessions; if it is a typical class there will be a range of levels and the instructor should be motivational - mine always manage to get me to squeeze out that extra rep or 2.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @michelleb43

My friend says:

Hmm basically she should steer clear of anyone who backs off! People who have an Exercise Referral qualification will be trained to work with clients with T1 diabetes and should be confident taking someone on. Any Level 4 PT will also be qualified to train clients with all types of Diabetes.

She could also ask her GP, as they refer patients to PTs who are qualified to work with special populations.

I don't know anyone out that way....but hopefully that helps!

Let me know if any more questions.