Freestyle app

samantha13

So my freestyle libre arrived this morning and am keen to get everything in place before I set it up.

I have an android phone and have heard of people using an app for it. When I search for it in play store a few different apps come up can anyone advise which one I should go with?

Also is it better to use the phone app instead of the meter provided? I will apologise again for my fear of technology

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the official app from the Play Store:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.librelink.app&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dlibre+link+play+store&pcampaignid=APPU_1_Nc42WJnIHYaisgGTpIHoDA&ved=0ahUKEwjZtv6fpMHQAhUGkSwKHRNSAM0Q8oQBCBswAA&usg=AFQjCNEHsx0s0aY6Pake_sRPuHtysKyk7w&sig2=w1C58ySxZ4O6gQKqXzjpDg

It's best to start the sensor with your READER and then within the 60 minutes scan it with your SMARTPHONE. If you do this, then you can use both reader and smartphone as you please.

If you do it the other way, you can only use your phone.

The reader is easier to scan and gives more detailed reports. Whereas using your phone means less stuff to carry around. For me, I use the phone 99% of the time as I prefer less stuff in my pockets! But I do use the reader when I'm exercising.

Does that clear things up?:)

Mclaren81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have type one and always struggled with control my fingers are so sore mum has offered to buy the machine all I would have to do is buy the discs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the freestyle libre worth the cost as I'm on benefits

Hi and welcome

The Libre has enabled me to fine tune my dietary control in a way I never expected, and which has made a huge difference to my confidence (I am diet controlled, with no T2 meds, so I have used it to fine tune my carb intake). My HbA1c has dropped a bit, but more than that, I now feel I have control of this dratted condition. I always had a sneaky worry that I was missing something, some highs, some lows, that my bg peaks after meals didn't match my testing... so the Libre has taught me a lot. Including a MUCH better understanding of my Dawn Phenomenon.

As for the cost - it is a big chunk of money for someone on benefits, but remember, once you have made the initial outlay, and have 2 sensors and a reader (or no reader, if you are going to use an App), then you don't ever have to spend another penny if you don't want to. Or you can buy sensors when you can, to fit your budget.

To start with, I chose to run 2 sensors back to back, and learned a lot in that time. Since then I have run sensors part time, matching them to high days and holidays, stress, and a couple of periods when I was changing my diet and wanted to map out my bg changes too. I now use it for about 2 weeks in 2 months, which works out at approx £6 a week. But I can slap a sensor on any time I want, and get 24/7 testing if I do.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: tan800

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have type one and always struggled with control my fingers are so sore mum has offered to buy the machine all I would have to do is buy the discs

McLaren, you might find it helpful to revisit your profile settings as you currently show as having T2. Whilst it's no enormous issue, it clearly has the potential to lead to misunderstandings or sub-optimal guidance, which nobody wants.

In reference to the Libre App: It is my understanding there is no App for iPhone as yet, and last I enquired with Abbott, it wasn't on their roadmap for anything imminent; due to the differing technological infrastructure of Apple devices.

If I'm out of date, I'd be happy to be updated by others. Thanks for tagging me @tim2000s .

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
Hi Samantha13,
I have an Android phone and use the LibreLink app which is free to download. You can use it without having to invest in the Libre FreeStyle reader. I don't actually have a reader at all.

There is another similar app called GLIMP but I prefer to stick with the propriety software. The sensors are quite expensive and you don't want to risk damaging a new sensor. The LibreLink app has many good features besides today's chart.
There is a logbook of all your readings stored, graphs showing daily patterns, time in target, low glucose events and average glucose.

In many respects, the phone app is better than the reader because your screen is probably bigger and clearer. I don't know exactly how much data can be stored on the phone but I have at least a month's history and I suspect it will go to 90 days.

Howard

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are using the app, you can pair it to send data to Diasend so you don't lose the review functionality that the libre software provides.