High BG after mild exercise

preetiw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

I have been recently diagnosed with severe Osteomalacia. So I can't walk much for the time being. Although my BG levels are well within the normal range, I've realised that when I excerise for some time (as instructed by my physiotherapist - simple stretching of the muscles in legs and shoulders) my BG levels jump up.

For example - My PP is 158 mg/dL and after 10 minutes of exercise it jumps over to 239 mg/dL.

Can anyone enlighten me on what is happening? I'm on Vitamin D supplements (strength 1k) daily after breakfast. Novorapid 28 units per day (10-8-8) and lantus (20 units per day).

Thanks in advance for any help

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hey guys,

I have been recently diagnosed with severe Osteomalacia. So I can't walk much for the time being. Although my BG levels are well within the normal range, I've realised that when I excerise for some time (as instructed by my physiotherapist - simple stretching of the muscles in legs and shoulders) my BG levels jump up.

For example - My PP is 158 mg/dL and after 10 minutes of exercise it jumps over to 239 mg/dL.

Can anyone enlighten me on what is happening? I'm on Vitamin D supplements (strength 1k) daily after breakfast. Novorapid 28 units per day (10-8-8) and lantus (20 units per day).

Thanks in advance for any help
Its very similiar to the dawn phenomoneum (liver dump). Experts say its glucose being released from the liver to help you out. Now that's great when you're not diabetic. We diabetics don't need its help. For you as a type 1 your insulin injections can cover it.
I'm sure a more relevant type 1 with experience will be along shortly to keep you right with adjusting your insulin to suit. Most type 2s have to block it or just hope for a later reduction in insulin resistance.
Don't let it put you off from exercising, enjoy being fit and healthy.
I think @azure might be able to keep you right?

Edited by mod to reflect a liver dump.

Last edited by a moderator:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
. Novorapid 28 units per day (10-8-8) and lantus (20 units per day).

How post prandial are your post prandial reading? 2 hours after eating, 2 hours, 4, 5? It sounds like your on fixed doses of novorapid and not adjusting insulin to match the carbs you are eating? What kind of thing are you eating - could it be something where the carbs have a delayed release?

I wouldn't really expect 10 minutes stretching to send blood sugar up. An increase in BG during exercise is usually linked with anaerobic exercise, when you work at intense effort. Is the physiotherapist causing a lot of pain? The pain might send BG up.

preetiw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How post prandial are your post prandial reading? 2 hours after eating, 2 hours, 4, 5? It sounds like your on fixed doses of novorapid and not adjusting insulin to match the carbs you are eating? What kind of thing are you eating - could it be something where the carbs have a delayed release?

I wouldn't really expect 10 minutes stretching to send blood sugar up. An increase in BG during exercise is usually linked with anaerobic exercise, when you work at intense effort. Is the physiotherapist causing a lot of pain? The pain might send BG up.

@catapillar I take correction doses to even out the levels. The excerise is not painful as such. I eat right and mostly avoid carbs in my diet. I have kept a close eye on PP levels 2 hrs, 4 hrs etc. the levels show up consistently high unless I take a correction dose.

preetiw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its very similiar to the dawn phenomoneum (liver dump). Experts say its glucose being released from the liver to help you out. Now that's great when you're not diabetic. We diabetics don't need its help. For you as a type 1 your insulin injections can cover it.
I'm sure a more relevant type 1 with experience will be along shortly to keep you right with adjusting your insulin to suit. Most type 2s have to block it or just hope for a later reduction in insulin resistance.
Don't let it put you off from exercising, enjoy being fit and healthy.
I think @azure might be able to keep you right?

@ickihun Thanks for the prompt reply I didn't know about the dawn phenomenon so I really appreciate ur insight.

Looking forward to learning more about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ickihun

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@catapillar I take correction doses to even out the levels. The excerise is not painful as such. I eat right and mostly avoid carbs in my diet. I have kept a close eye on PP levels 2 hrs, 4 hrs etc. the levels show up consistently high unless I take a correction dose.

I'm confused, are you saying your levels are consistently high? You often have to correct after eating? If that's the case, maybe the rise during exercise of ten minutes stretching isn't caused by the exercise but is rather a post prandial rise. Maybe you need to look at your meal time doses to asses whether they are working for you.

preetiw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused, are you saying your levels are consistently high? You often have to correct after eating? If that's the case, maybe the rise during exercise of ten minutes stretching isn't caused by the exercise but is rather a post prandial rise. Maybe you need to look at your meal time doses to asses whether they are working for you.
See it was consistently stable before. By before I mean when I couldn't excerise due to my condition.

I was hospitalized last week. The BG levels were fine fasting and PP as well. I was doing mild stretching under the physiotherapist's guidance.

Now I'm home. Doing the exact same thing. But the PP is high now. Not consistently high but only on the days of the exercise.

Did you get my issue now?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@preetiw Some people do find that exercise puts your blood sugar up. I don't find that so I can't give any personal advice. For me, exercise put my blood sugar down.

If you exercise only once a day, perhaps you could experiment to see if there's a time when your blood sugar doesn't rise as much. Or if you exercise after a meal, then you could carefully try adjusting your insulin or food to see if that helps stop the rise.

Could stress or pain be contributing? Both those things can cause a rise in blood sugar.

Have you tried not exercising for one day, just to prove it is the exercise causing this? That might be something to try.

Reactions: Bebo321

preetiw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@preetiw Some people do find that exercise puts your blood sugar up. I don't find that so I can't give any personal advice. For me, exercise put my blood sugar down.

If you exercise only once a day, perhaps you could experiment to see if there's a time when your blood sugar doesn't rise as much. Or if you exercise after a meal, then you could carefully try adjusting your insulin or food to see if that helps stop the rise.

Could stress or pain be contributing? Both those things can cause a rise in blood sugar.

Have you tried not exercising for one day, just to prove it is the exercise causing this? That might be something to try.

I've tried not exercising for a day. I'm trying to get some exercise every alternate day. Hence I came to the conclusion that exercise is causing the highs.

Thanks for the advice Really appreciate it @azure

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've tried not exercising for a day. I'm trying to get some exercise every alternate day. Hence I came to the conclusion that exercise is causing the highs.

Thanks for the advice Really appreciate it @azure

Ok :) Well, at least you have some proof :) I'd try choosing an exercise times as I said above, and experimenting with food and insulin beforehand. If you find a meal/dose that works, you could stick to that. I used to do that - eat exactly the same meal - when I did a lot of swimming, and it worked well and removed anxiety about what my blood sugar was doing.

Reactions: preetiw

preetiw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally found a rhythm for my doses and exercise without having hypos. Thanks guys for all your insights