Type 1: How to tell dvla you are diabetic

fletton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Help!! I only just found out insulin dependant diabetics need to tell the dvla of their condition. I have been on insulin now for over a year. Will I get in trouble for not telling them? ( I only found out earlier today I was suppose to)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

:)

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Your DSN should have advised you at diagnosis. If you weren't told, how could you have known?

It depends on the type of insulin (oral or injecting) as to whether your license is affected. I had to go directly onto injections as my hba1c was dangerously high, so my licence was changed to a 3-year renewable one. I've lost the right to drive the bigger hgvs, but as I never did, it's not an issue.

There's a form online you can print off and send in. They will contact your GP for further info. Providing you have good control, you won't have an issue.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's no such thing as 'oral insulin' @Nidge247 There is some oral medication that can affect your blood sugar but that's not insulin. People on some meds may need to tell the DVLA and should always check.

All people on insulin need to inform the DVLA and fill in the appropriate forms.

@fletton Your doctor or nurse should have told you about this, but don't worry about that now. Get on and notify the DVLA as soon as possible.

You may also need to inform your insurance company. I would do so, just to be safe, but you could contact them for advice.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Help!! I only just found out insulin dependant diabetics need to tell the dvla of their condition. I have been on insulin now for over a year. Will I get in trouble for not telling them? ( I only found out earlier today I was suppose to)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

:)

Fletton, I think the bottom line is you have to inform them. If you complete the form (I think this is it: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/diab1-confidential-medical-information ) and get it into them, then at least you have limited any potential telling off. You may choose to use a covering letter to explain the delay. I might be inclined to. It puts you in the driving seat (pun intended).

Whilst it's a bit unfortunate you didn't know, you would be in much more hot water if you knew then elected not to declare it.

As Azure mentions, you should inform your insurers. Nobody needs to find their insurers wiggling out of a claim after some sort of unfortunate event - whether or not diabetes related.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regarding insurance. I called my insurers and they told me if I didn't have to notify DVLA I didn't have to tell them. As I'm only on medication, and haven't had a Hypo, I don't need to inform DVLA either apparently as I don't drive anything other than a car. That was according to the latest guidance from DVLA that my GP printed off for me.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ed-by-non-insulin-medication-diet-or-both.pdf

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Depends on what meds you take. I was told Gliclazide is a must notifiable drug which can cause a hypo, whether you've had one or not. Not worth the risk of a fine if you don't.