Freestyle libre sensor

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm considering getting a Libre, but I still have menopausal flushes.. I call them my tropical moments. Often at night.. will this affect the sensor staying stuck ?
Not in my experience so far (am early on in my own hot flush journey - bit peeved as I feel it's a bit early for all that - anyway, I get extremely tropical at night). If anything I have trouble getting them UNstuck after the 14 days (in fact 16 days, as I always put my new one on 48 hours before activating it) - and that is with multiple swims and runs per week on top of the tropicality!

:)

Reactions: daisyduck

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not in my experience so far (am early on in my own hot flush journey - bit peeved as I feel it's a bit early for all that - anyway, I get extremely tropical at night). If anything I have trouble getting them UNstuck after the 14 days (in fact 16 days, as I always put my new one on 48 hours before activating it) - and that is with multiple swims and runs per week on top of the tropicality!

:)

Thank you, that's encouraging. Mine were early too due to a hysterectomy, 10 years on and they have lessened but not gone :(

Pete_FMT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use the Libre on and off, mainly because of the cost, but find it great within its limitations. Also abbot are very quick to replace anything faulty and I have found their customer service excellent. Here are a few points for anyone new to the Libre:
1) make sure you let the cleaning swab dry off before applying - I didn't once and the sensor nearly fell off (rookie error!)
2) Don't look at the needle - when my Diabetes nurse showed me it initially for a trial I wondered how on earth I was going to wear anything with such a big needle in me! However, don't let this put you off - see 3).
3) The needle retracts to leave in a small filament and insertion is quick easy and painless. You feel less than when injecting insulin and certainly much less than finger pricking.
4) The reader is excellent for providing trends - I have dawn phenomenon and the libre showed this. however, when you are rising or falling rapidly it takes time to catch up and can often be a long way out - I've had it upto 4mmol/l out. The data is still great but needs to be used with care.
5) I understand that some phones can be used to read the sensors rather than the one supplied. This should help if the reader does only last 3 years. However, I suspect that in three years there will be something else better (and hopefully cheaper) on the market.
6) Download the free software and the data to your computer as you can really see more of what's happening then and it'll help you manage your carbs and insulin.

All in all a great piece of kit which I use when my BG and insulin are all over the shop or I'm on holiday so my routine is all over the place. Also really good if you are planning to have a few beers so that you can catch those sneaky post alcohol hypos. I would wear one all the time if they were cheaper.

I would recommend anyone thinking about it to ask their diabetes nurse as I did for a trial. I've only been diagnosed type 1 since the end of August 2016 and it's really helped me get on top of the diabetes - well as much as you ever can!!!