Prediabetes c peptide

mrsingh123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
please suggest which c peptide test (fasting/post/random) has to be done to check type 1 or type 2 diabetes

mrsingh123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for your suggested link. Mine fasting c peptide is 2.4 ng/ml and fasting glucose is 189 mg/dl . Even when the c peptide level is normal (insulin secretion normal from pancreas) why is fasting glucose so high ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your suggested link. Mine fasting c peptide is 2.4 ng/ml and fasting glucose is 189 mg/dl . Even when the c peptide level is normal (insulin secretion normal from pancreas) why is fasting glucose so high ?

That could be due to insulin resistance @mrsingh123

You may be making enough insulin but your body isn't responding to it in the normal way.

Edited to,add - Type 1 is an auto immune condition. There are tests available to,check for the antibodies involved eg GAD test.

lindisfel

Expert
Is your weight normal mrsingh? What is your bmi? regards D.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
please suggest which c peptide test (fasting/post/random) has to be done to check type 1 or type 2 diabetes

A cpeptide test just tells you whether you are producing insulin. That doesn't tell you whether you are type 1 or type 2.

Your avatar says you have prediabetic? That's pre type 2, there is no pre type 1.

If your cpeptide test shows your producing a normal amount of insulin but you have high sugar levels that suggests insulin resistance, which is type 2.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @catapillar but be aware that a fasting test is pretty useless due to the Dawn Phenomenon. You should be looking at either an HBa1C result or a series of 2 hour after eating readings. If your c-peptide is 'normal' then you are not T1.

mrsingh123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks very much for your comments. My age is 21. Mine weight is 83 kgs & height is 185 cms. (Normal bmi). Previously my weight was 90 kgs six months back. Post lunch blood glucose is 312 mg/dl & c peptide is 4.5 ng/ml.

lindisfel

Expert
A cpeptide test just tells you whether you are producing insulin. That doesn't tell you whether you are type 1 or type 2.

Your avatar says you have prediabetic? That's pre type 2, there is no pre type 1.

If your cpeptide test shows your producing a normal amount of insulin but you have high sugar levels that suggests insulin resistance, which is type 2.
The new thought on insulin resistance is that the cells are stuffed with blood glucose and one cannot get much more in. It is not due to poor quality keys! D.

mrsingh123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I eat vegetables & chapati (Indian bread) with onion salad. Overall I have reduced my carb intake & started walking about one hour daily. Since last month my weight is constant to 83kgs.

lindisfel

Expert
I eat vegetables & chapati (Indian bread) with onion salad. Overall I have reduced my carb intake & started walking about one hour daily. Since last month my weight is constant to 83kgs.
Your blood glucose is very high after meals and it is difficult to see you as prediabetic mrsingh? I have Reactive hypoglycemia and if I have refined carbs there is similar mismatch between insulin production and blood glucose. Perhaps after a carby meal you should check your blood glucose every 30mins over say 5hours to see what happens to you blood glucose. atb Derek