New low carb cookbook out

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Me too @Robbity I've been stuck at the same weight for ages now. Keep losing and gaining the same kilo. BUT. this is the first time ever I've found it easy to maintain my weight. I'd like to lose the last 2 stones so will be experimenting with fasting. Hubby does fuss if I do that though :(
I'm in my exactly the same boat! Reading Dr Fung right now!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I was intrigued enough to get the book. It arrived yesterday. So I had a good rummage.

So far, in true Michelin style, he has sexed it all up and complicated it all, and requires things that are not in my cupboards.

However, he has also got some AWESOME ideas and combinations of ingredients and flavours, which have piqued my curiosty something rotten.
So last night I sorted out a new Tescos order with the intention of having:
Slow roast lamb with mustard glazed greens (and an anchovy crust)
Pork with celeriac spaghetti
Braised beef with turnip, kohlrabi (if I can find it) and horseradish.

Each will make enough that we should be eating these, in cycles, for a couple of weeks.

Will let you all know...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well, I was intrigued enough to get the book. It arrived yesterday. So I had a good rummage.

So far, in true Michelin style, he has sexed it all up and complicated it all, and requires things that are not in my cupboards.

However, he has also got some AWESOME ideas and combinations of ingredients and flavours, which have piqued my curiosty something rotten.
So last night I sorted out a new Tescos order with the intention of having:
Slow roast lamb with mustard glazed greens (and an anchovy crust)
Pork with celeriac spaghetti
Braised beef with turnip, kohlrabi (if I can find it) and horseradish.

Each will make enough that we should be eating these, in cycles, for a couple of weeks.

Will let you all know...

OMG those recipes sound gorgeous. I'm hoping my copy will arrive soon.

If Tesco don't do kohlrabi then Morrison's definitely do but (IMO) they overcharge for it. Those purple topped white turnips are a good sub.

We used to grow loads of kohlrabi as we both love it. The problem with growing it is that if it gets even slightly too big it gets a woody texture so it has to be harvested small and it seems to go from golf ball size to tennis ball size overnight if there has been a drop of rain.

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are prawns high in carbs? Why don't I see them featured in low carb eating?

Reactions: Freema

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It has finally arrived - on first flick through it looks great. He really is imaginative in the way he uses ingredients.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First recipe (beef shin in horseradish with turnips and kohlrabi) is in the slow cooker as I type.
Smells divine.
Decided not to hold out for the kohlrabi, which I cannot find locally, so will do a cabbage side dish to make up for the lack. Probably creamy cabbage with parmesan, heavy on the cream, since the casserole is actually much lower fat than we are used to, and might not completely satisfy, if you know what I mean.

He's actually got bay leaves, ginger, horseradish, mustard AND rosemary in it, so it should pack quite a punch!

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I haven't started making a list of which ones I want to cook yet because, at the moment, that would be all of them! Drool

Reactions: daisyduck

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
OMG those recipes sound gorgeous. I'm hoping my copy will arrive soon.

If Tesco don't do kohlrabi then Morrison's definitely do but (IMO) they overcharge for it. Those purple topped white turnips are a good sub.

We used to grow loads of kohlrabi as we both love it. The problem with growing it is that if it gets even slightly too big it gets a woody texture so it has to be harvested small and it seems to go from golf ball size to tennis ball size overnight if there has been a drop of rain.

Can someone tell me what Kohlrabi is please?

Hotpepper20000

I didn't know either. :) but google even has pictures. :D
I believe it's from the brassica family of vegetables like broccoli and cabbage but it's in a bulb form. You can eat the tops as well. Grate the bulb and make Rosti instead of potatoes. Make sure to get the smaller ones. The large ones are woody.

timat22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It was his article and recipes in the Mail that directed me to a low carb diet.
It is very easy to substitute any of the ingredients and one thing I have noticed is that he uses a lot of salt. As I have high blood pressure I shall be leaving that out.
I'm type 2 and have been overweight all my adult life with many failed attempts at dieting.
Thanks to Tom I feel very positive about starting a LCHF diet.
Already dropped bread, potatoes, rice and pasta so now just sorting what is ok and what is not.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone else has got the new recipe book by Tom Kerridge ? I purchased it yesterday - some very nice recipes and Low(ish)Carb mainly - ( not had a chance to try any yet - planned for the weekend ! ) its the first cook book I have seen from a well known (Michelin Star) mainstream chef that is almost exclusively targeting Low Carb - Tom has lost 11stone ( 70kg ) over three years - some very nice recipes in it - and clear recognition that his own weight loss was mainly down to LC lifestyle.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone else has got the new recipe book by Tom Kerridge ? I purchased it yesterday - some very nice recipes and Low(ish)Carb mainly - ( not had a chance to try any yet - planned for the weekend ! ) its the first cook book I have seen from a well known (Michelin Star) mainstream chef that is almost exclusively targeting Low Carb - Tom has lost 11stone ( 70kg ) over three years - some very nice recipes in it - and clear recognition that his own weight loss was mainly down to LC lifestyle.

Hello there. There's already a thread about this book, where others have made various comments. Sadly, I can't recall who started it, but if you use the forum search facility, I hope you can find it.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Element137 I looked at it this morning in Waterstones and thought it looked really good but I didn't buy it as I thought I had a token for Waterstones at home but I will buy it next time I'm in town. I looked at the davina mc call book that is sugar free but the first recipe I looked at she was using bread so I put it back down as I haven't touched bread since restarting LCHF.