Driving and Insulin

coxymk2

I have just had an appointment with my Diabetic nurse.The gist of this was that I have been referred to the local hospital diabetes clinic to initiate Insulin use. I have no choice in this due to my BS constantly rising on medication.
What I need to know is when telling the DVLA of this will my Driving Licence be automatically suspended or will I still be allowed to drive.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed as type 1 and put on insulin I had to inform dvla. Outcome is that my license needs renewing every three years, have to test before driving then every two hours, can't drive mini bus but license was not suspended. Process was very straightforward. If you Google dvla and diabetes is all there. Good luck with it all. Lots of insulin using drivers here :)

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I applied for my provisional just before being diagnosed 6 months ago, and just had to fill out a medical form to inform them and got my licence through

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was diagnosed long before I was legally entitled to get behind the wheel..
You are still eligible to drive while the new licence is in the post.

If I was to give any advice to you as a new insulin user. Get used to (acclimatise.) to the new regime first.
Test regularly. You've heard about the "5 to drive" rule..
All the best.!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people