Vitamins

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi can anyone tell me what Vitamins or suppliments I can take for joint pain so many out there I just don't know what to get don't want them to affect my blood sugars hope you can help thanks.

A

asparagusp

"On Trust Me I'm A Doctor" they did a trial about whether glucosamine, taken by many for their joints, was beneficial. Negative results!

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are thinking of taking vitamins and or supplements you can always ask your pharmacist, they'll have the lowdown on everything you could take and what effect if any they these have on your blood sugar. I just popped in one time because I had a dry throat and asked about lozengers that were best for me to take and he knew straight away and told me, they are very good nowadays and thankfully this service is free and isn't charged YET!! so why not use it

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well I am not an expert but lately some scientist claim that vitamin K2 does help the calcium into the bones combined with vitamin D... those are 2 vitamins I take to avoid bone problems in my spine as I am very much like my mother and she suffers serverely from deteriorated bones in the lower back and has a lot of pain almost all the time
it is not nutrients that take pain but maybe nutrients that prevents further bone deteriation...
also take fish oil capsuels daily or the days you don´t eat oilly fish

but talk to you GP if you are on blood thinners..

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What diagnosed condition is causing your joint pain? [The reason I ask is because the nutritional supplement protocol differs for each condition. Hope that makes sense.]

Last edited:

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi guys thanks for all you replies this has helped alot the member who asked what condition I had I've had 2strokes on left side which is giving me a lot of hip pain doctor just keeps loading me up with pain killers which make me feel like a zombie someone told me flax seeds where good if any ones tried this please let me know thanks?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
You are probably deficient in vitamin D and B1 (Thiamine) as most of us are. You can have these levels checked by your doctor or pay for tests yourself. To supplement for vitamin D make sure you take D3 and consider also vitamin K as an adjunct.

Have a look here for some good advice on supplements for diabetics:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/20144672.php

I don't know anything about supplements and stroke recovery but I'm sure google would help you there?

Best

Dillinger

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dairygrade saddened to hear you've had two strokes. If you decide to take any nutritional supplements, prior to purchase, I'd check first with your doctor and your pharmacist if they're okay to take first - (I assume you're taking a blood thinner type medication, possibly other medications too).

I don't have any experience with stroke, nor have I done any reading on it. What does the doctor think is causing the joint pain? If it's arthritis, it would be helpful to know what kind. If it's not arthritis, it would be helpful to know if the pain is related to the stroke, type 1 diabetes, or something else.

I like Dillinger's suggestion to take vitamin D3 (which I personally take year round) and to have your vitamin D level checked. Might be a good idea to have some of your vitamin B levels checked too. I'm assuming Dillinger is referring to vitamin K2, not K1. Vitamin K2 moves calcium into the bones instead of your arteries.

Are you mobile and able to walk every day? Are you eating a balanced, whole foods diet that includes vegetables? Are you trying to avoid eating sugary and processed foods? Those are great places to start if you're not feeling well.