Been asked to join a trial at local hospital

igual88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians, oysters , anything with more than 4 legs
Got a phone call from my doctor this afternoon asking if he could put me forward for a trial at my local hospital with the diabetes team , apparently I'm an ideal candidate with the right attitude.
Assuming that's as a good thing lol.
Been told to expect a call in next few days with more details etc , all! I know so far is its to do with a potential new treatment drug for T2 who are on metformin.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@igual88 In your position, I would be asking myself if I actually required a potential new drug. If I felt that that my present regime wasn't working and that this might be a chance of improving my life and health, I would consider it, but without a need, I would not consent to being experimented on. Do remember that, even if you are part of the trial, you may be given a placebo, ie a dummy pill. And do remember that the reason why a drug is being tested is because nobody knows really and truly what it does in real life, so you could be putting yourself at risk. Only you can weigh up the risks. Remember also, your doctor is possibly being paid to recruit you.
Sally

Reactions: Robbity and igual88
M

ME_Valentijn

... apparently I'm an ideal candidate with the right attitude.
If attitude is part of the (unofficial?) selection criteria, that's a very bad sign :p Treatments should work regardless of attitude, and if they think attitude is important, they might actually be looking for people who they think will say what the researchers want to hear.

A

asparagusp

Yes a couple of days ago there was a programme on BBC 2 wherein eight "patients" were undergoing new drug testing which went wrong. Catch it on player.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
The thing is if nobody is willing to take part in research then nothing will ever change!
To get to the research stage it has had to go through so much red tape already, and it needs people to trial it to make changes in the world.
The media only report the horror stories of when it goes wrong, not the thousands of trials which have led to development of life saving treatments

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is if nobody is willing to take part in research then nothing will ever change!
To get to the research stage it has had to go through so much red tape already, and it needs people to trial it to make changes in the world.
The media only report the horror stories of when it goes wrong, not the thousands of trials which have led to development of life saving treatments

Yes, but is a replacement for metformin a vital and life saving treatment, or simply a new way of making more money? I would suspect the latter, there's no profit to be had out of Met. The OP is T2, so hardly needs a life saving drug, just a free, health saving diet. I can hear the tills ringing.
Sally

Reactions: sloppymare

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Yes, but is a replacement for metformin a vital and life saving treatment, or simply a new way of making more money? I would suspect the latter, there's no profit to be had out of Met. The OP is T2, so hardly needs a life saving drug, just a free, health saving diet. I can hear the tills ringing.
Sally
As @Type1Bri said, without trials we would never have any new medications. The risks are real, but so are the rewards. I do not know th OP, but maybe "the right attitude" simply refers to such things as interest in improving diabetes, or a willingness to consider alternative drugs that have less side effects than metformin?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Only the OP can make up his/her own mind, but if someone tried flattering me by telling me I had the "right attitude", I would be suspicious.
Sally

M

ME_Valentijn

A trial should have a protocol published or posted online beforehand. Then you can see what they're up to, and how they're planning to go about it :p

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Got a phone call from my doctor this afternoon asking if he could put me forward for a trial at my local hospital with the diabetes team , apparently I'm an ideal candidate with the right attitude.
Assuming that's as a good thing lol.
Been told to expect a call in next few days with more details etc , all! I know so far is its to do with a potential new treatment drug for T2 who are on metformin.
Is this to trial a new drug in addition to the metformin you are taking or instead of it? As you have only been diagnosed and on met for a few weeks, I find this weird. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: igual88

igual88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians, oysters , anything with more than 4 legs
Evening peeps, think I should clarify the ( right attitude comment) my doc who knows me very well , knows I'm willing to be a test guinea pig as the NHS has literally saved my life on 6 occasions.
Family are all connected to emergency services one way or anouther. And I hope this can. Be my way to help.
I've done 4 trials in the past, non diabetes related, also been a rescue corpse , casualty, walking wounded at crisis training mass casualty events.
Was even crazy enough to let a trainee dentist loose on me once, that was how shall I say an experience.......
As and when more info unfolds if possible I will update as detailed as the trial allows assuming I accept.

Pramod85

Type of diabetes
Doctor
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
People should join the clinical trials for the benefit of future generations

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having been a guinea pig with a paper written about my eOGTT tests with a drug, doing fasting tests and tests for intolerance to foods.
I have learnt from that personal experience and it changed my lifestyle approach to food. Along with the knowledgeable support and advice I received from this forum.

You have to have an open mind about what they are trying to achieve even if it sounds daft.

Good luck with your tests!

Best wishes

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After doing ,I think 6 trials regarding Diabetic research which I found informtive;I would jump at it if I were you

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After doing ,I think 6 trials regarding Diabetic research which I found informtive;I would jump at it if I were you
Your advice is about a year too late but I would like to hear from @igual88 how he got on.