Type1. Hello all

Asif07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!!....Newbie here...I'm Asif, aged 48 from South London....Type 1 Diabetic since 1996, so almost 21 years. I take Novorapid and Levimir. Have had plenty of ups and downs along the way.
My diabetes is generally well controlled touch wood but I always dread going Hypo. It's the worst surreal feeling and messes you up on a number of levels both physically, mentally and emotionally. But it's something I am learning how to avoid. Anyway, best wishes to all of my fellow diabetics!!! :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Asif07 and welcome to the forum. I'm Type 2 and fotunately I don't get hypos, I've never been below 4.4 mmol/L. They must be awful. There are a lot of Type 1s on here, so I expect you will be getting some useful advice and support.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Asif07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Prem and Robin.
Yes, we are all one big community so sharing advice, support and experiences can be a great help...!!

Reactions: Prem51

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Asif, welcome aboard, only joined a couple of weeks ago myself, friendly and helpful crowd here, not like a lot of forums where things usually turn into flame wars!

Hypos are a pain, don't know if you've tried the Libre yet, it's been a bit of a game changer for me, being able to see that I'm dropping and then take some food to stop it before it arrives -it's like being able to change the future.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am type 2 but on insulin and I do get hypos. I know they can be really scary and unreal at times. Always have something with you. The last one I had was in the middle of the night got wakened up by it and I was in an hotel! I had a hypo wallet with me but I have to say the glucogel tastes awful, but it worked!

Reactions: Prem51 and Asif07

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I'm also on the same insulins but so far have avoided any hypos but one or two near misses.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Asif07 . Fear of hypos is a real pain, been there done that.
A few things I've found that help are:
Trying to maintain hypo awareness. Not easy when you keep levels good over a period of time.
A quality carb counting course. I did DAFNE and found what I learnt invaluable.
Confidence and having control. Knowing that I'm in control helps me be positive, like everything diabetes,anything can happen anytime, but whatever **** diabetes throws at me ultimately I will take control and be the boss.

Reactions: Nidge247