Sleeping tablets & diabetes

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
Was just wondering if anyone here takes sleeping tablets. Lately I've been suffering with a bit of insomnia. It takes me ages to get to sleep, and then I wake up throughout the night and can never get back to sleep. I'm interested in maybe getting some sleeping tablets to help, but wasn't sure whether they would prevent me from waking up during a nighttime hypo

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have nitrazepam on hand if I need to use that. I rarely use it though. It knocks me out and I don't usually wake if I take it. Although sometimes my pain level is so bad that it doesn't even work and I'm up super groggy. I think the main thing to remember with taking these pills is to make sure your sugar level is not too low before going to bed. I make sure mine is 8 mmol before I sleep anyhow. This usually works well for me most nights.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say it depends on how stable your overnight blood sugar is. I have taken them in the past, but they made it very, very difficult for me to react in case of a hypo, so I stopped. Do you have access to a Libre/any other kind of CGM so you can see what your sugars are doing overnight? That might help you decide.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It takes me ages to get to sleep, and then I wake up throughout the night and can never get back to sleep.

Are you stressed or worrying about something at the moment @Chloesnavy ? If so I would try and address those issues (or use some relaxation techniques to help you sleep) rather than go down the medication route first.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you stressed or worrying about something at the moment @Chloesnavy ? If so I would try and address those issues (or use some relaxation techniques to help you sleep) rather than go down the medication route first.

A little, yes. Stressed about money and what not. I definitely don't wanna e taking even more pills than I already am so thank you I will try something else

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would say it depends on how stable your overnight blood sugar is. I have taken them in the past, but they made it very, very difficult for me to react in case of a hypo, so I stopped. Do you have access to a Libre/any other kind of CGM so you can see what your sugars are doing overnight? That might help you decide.

Thank you. Yeah I'm not gonna bother with them after a second thought, gonna try natural things instead !

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have nitrazepam on hand if I need to use that. I rarely use it though. It knocks me out and I don't usually wake if I take it. Although sometimes my pain level is so bad that it doesn't even work and I'm up super groggy. I think the main thing to remember with taking these pills is to make sure your sugar level is not too low before going to bed. I make sure mine is 8 mmol before I sleep anyhow. This usually works well for me most nights.

Ah right ok. I'm not gonna bother taking any, as sometimes I do have randomhypos and the thought scares me . Thank you

Reactions: Mep