Breakfast and Dinner

steve_hill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
would this be a good breakfast for a person with diabetes the values are per serving

Apricot porridge with toasted seeds
371 calories
54.8g carbs
22.8g sugar
11.6g fat
1.5g saturated fat
0.07g salt
10.6g fibre

and for lunch

Baked sweet potato with chilli fromage-frais filling
488 calories
72g carbs
28.5g sugar
16.8g fat
5.0g sat fat
0.4g salt
9.8g fibre

and whats for dinner?

Last edited:

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Far too many carbs for me.
Do you have a meter and test your blood glucose ? That will tell you if it works or spikes you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What medication are you taking to enable you to cope with so many carbs?
For me it would be suicidal to eat that sort of food, my blood glucose levels would be sky high for hours after eating.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your goals and priorities for eating?

Are you going low carb? Low fat? Vegetarian? Aiming for weight loss?

Do you have a total carb aim for the day? I make your carb total for those two meals to be approx 130g, which is on the upper edge of low carbing. So that may work for you. But dividing the carbs more equally across 3 meals might help.

You really need to test using a meter to find out whether your body can tolerate those foods in those quantities, that's the only way to tell properly.

Hope that helps. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those two meals contain enough carbs to last me three days, so no way would I (or even could I!) eat such high carb meals without doing myself "a power of no good"!

So if you don't have one already you definitely need to get a meter to check how your glucose levels react to higher levels of carbs. That way you'll be able to make sensible and suitable dietary choices tailored to your particular needs.

Robbity

steve_hill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At my doctors last week they had a table with a lot of stuff about diabetes took some home and found these recipes in one of the books called EATING WELL WITH DIABETES by diabetes uk
what sort of message is this sending out to new diabetics
If I tried to eat these would need the new Buzz Light-year b/s meter which reads from infinity and beyond
my present b/s monitor only goes upto 33.3 .
not that ive had it at full throttle

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from anything else, there are over 50g of SUGAR in those 2 meals, and dinner still to come.

Criminal.

steve_hill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
another 2 recipes in the book, well if you ate the first two might as well have dinner
rice and beans
63.7g carbs
22.4g sugar

channa dahl

64.3g carbs
2.7g sugar

any one want the full recipe`s

and it does say on front cover HEALTHY RECIPES

Last edited:

Jo123

You have to laugh otherwise you would cry:)
People were being so diplomatic with their answers:):)

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes Steve we all know what these recipes contain, and the fact that they are given to us as 'healthy' foods for people with diabetes. Whereas here and elsewhere other people are saying the complete opposite, there in lies the dichotomy. You must make your own mind up based upon your experience following one or the other, simple as really

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately, the NHS professionals don't seem to understand the relationship between 'good control' and 'poor control' regarding eating carbohydrates. This is possibly one of the reasons they consider Type 2 diabetes to be a 'progressive' disease and are happy to keep prescribing more and more ever-increasing medications to control glucose levels :(

If you want to take your control of your glucose levels, make sure you test before and after meals and 'eat to your meter', which will, inevitably, mean reducing/avoiding a lot of the carb foods ;)

steve_hill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would love to know if I ate all three meals 190.5g of carbs 73.7g sugar in one day what my blood sugar would read,
could a monitor handle that amount?
but I'm not going to.
Trouble is it seems reading one post on here about doctors not giving out b/s monitors, the first you are going to realize what you've done is at annual blood test, and get told off, then handed even more boxes of pills to take.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat less than 20c per DAY and I take insulin now!!! They'd still send me into orbit!! However when I was type 2 I probably would be comotose.