Taking T1 child swimming

Namztorb

My 6yr old wants to go swimming tomorrow for the first time since diagnosis. He doesn't have a pump, so we don't have that to deal with, but just wondering what do you do with bg meter and hypo supplies, etc, whilst in the pool? I'm reluctant to leave them in the changing room as when his blood sugars start dropping they usually drop like a stone. What do other parents do?

Reactions: KezG

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@Namztorb Hello.. Welcome to the forum. I'd speak with the receptionist and ask if they'd mind if you took things into the pool area. Plastic bags should keep equipment dry if you have to pass through a shower on the way into the pool. Maybe a poolside lifeguard would be happy to let you leave it with them as you and kiddie take a swim.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My 6yr old wants to go swimming tomorrow for the first time since diagnosis. He doesn't have a pump, so we don't have that to deal with, but just wondering what do you do with bg meter and hypo supplies, etc, whilst in the pool? I'm reluctant to leave them in the changing room as when his blood sugars start dropping they usually drop like a stone. What do other parents do?

I take my meter and glucose tablets in with me and put them on a ledge near the pool.

I test just before getting in and at regular intervals. Even if your son is just swimming/playing gently, it can burn up a fair bit of glucose. I eat a snack beforehand usually.

Reactions: Namztorb

Namztorb

Thank you. I just wondered if I was missing something really obvious, and it seems that maybe I was!! Use common sense and ask the pool staff, der!

I always give extra snacks when he exercises as it does seem to affect his levels quite a lot.

Reactions: azure

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no doubt that swimming is quite a vigorous exercise so I would probably encourage a snack before going in, they're going to burn it off without a doubt and I think this would give you peace of mind. Also as others have said further snacks and testing stuff to hand! I appreciate where you are coming from, you want your child to enjoy without the worry and I think swimming warrants something to eat before going in!

Reactions: Namztorb

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
You could get him a freestyle libre then just scan the sensor every few lengths or so

Namztorb

The swim had to be postponed, sadly, as young sir has started coming down with a cold and just felt like a sofa day! I feel confident to handle it on the next weekend he's with me though, and looking forward to fun times with little boy.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I always just got a locker near the pool with my stuff in it and if I suspected an issue I went out and checked. Before I was old enough to do that for myself my t1 mum did that as well. Most places are not too far from the pool right? You should be ok if you just keep asking the wee man if he's feeling ok. Getting used to his symptoms will take time for you both but you will get there! I tend to sometimes come across as stern on here having been diabetic so long but...supplies can't always be right to hand. Maybe they should be and maybe there are laws but hey...life happens. So, things like this are actually great opportunities for you ALL to learn how to live with this and the challenges that come with. I hope when you get another chance at a swim it goes well <3