Type1.Why am I losing so much weight?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I applied for a GP surgery on Friday, it's a bit out of the way as my local ones just said no outright when I told them I was removed from my old surgery for wanting to change appointments and that I may sometimes require home visits due to having trouble leaving the house in daylight hours ( long story )

This surgery didn't say no, rather they have sent me an application form which hopefully I'll get on Monday.

Yea, cancer sucks for sure, but it sure does open your eyes. I don't think of it as a negative experience and I wouldn't change anything. Weird? Probably..lol

I will have my fingers crossed for you.

PS I'm a chemo and radiotherapy survivor too, and four years clear so far, but still have a few chemo side effects although nothing significant. It does kill things that shouldn't be killed. :)

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't think it is weird at all . I do think it is a strange experience because our life suddenly becomes a huge question mark. I am a different person because of it . I make sure I smell flowers when I can kiss people I love and I try **** hard to Be positive but sometimes that's hard

If you need any help with doctors Or anything let me know

Sue

Reactions: Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mist keep an eye on your weight over the next few days.

Sometimes when we switch to low carb, we lose a lot of weight the first few days. It is usually fluid loss (as our glycogen stores reduce and we widdle out lots of water). Actual fat loss usually takes longer.

So if your sudden weight reduction slows down in the next day or so, it may just have been that.

But do keep checking for ketones! And keep eating enough. :)

Edited to add: some people also find that carbs like wheat can cause fluid retention, and it can be quite disconcerting when that disappears too.

Last edited:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
some people also find that carbs like wheat can cause fluid retention, and it can be quite disconcerting when that disappears too.
A very good point. Since beginning to low carb and to exercise daily I just do not hold on to water. 5-8 litres in daily, same amount out.

The last carby meal I had I blew up like one of those water balloons........

:rolleyes:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have a doctor, best I could do is phone NHS direct for advice, I don't want to be a nuicence.

The NHS are probably sick of dealing with me..:hilarious:
@mist you are absolutely NOT a nuisance, not to NHS Direct nor or indeed to anyone else - your health is important, and it's their job.

The NHS have a duty to offer care and support. I have read your posts and I'm sorry that your GP issue has been such a tricky path. But it would be lovely if there was a sympathetic local practice who would just 'get' it. Take care, and please, if you're feeling unwell or different to normal or anything is like 'wt*, that's weird', ring your ex partner for moral support, and ring NHS Direct.

Deal?

Take care. Thinking of you.

Love Snapsy
:)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I applied for a GP surgery on Friday, it's a bit out of the way as my local ones just said no outright when I told them I was removed from my old surgery for wanting to change appointments and that I may sometimes require home visits due to having trouble leaving the house in daylight hours ( long story )

This surgery didn't say no, rather they have sent me an application form which hopefully I'll get on Monday.

Yea, cancer sucks for sure, but it sure does open your eyes. I don't think of it as a negative experience and I wouldn't change anything. Weird? Probably..lol
I don't know how it works down in Englandshire, but found this on google...

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/doctors/Pages/NHSGPs.aspx

"The GP practice must accept you, unless there are reasonable grounds to refuse you. These must not relate to.......disability or a medical condition."

Don't be fobbed off. My blood is boiling for you. All the best.

A

asparagusp

mist I read your recent replies whilst out, hence the delay in replying.

1) I'm horrified that you are getting insulin in an unorthodox manner and that's putting it mildly. How do you know which ones to take, and how much ..... How long has this being going on?

2) I know I am Type 2 but I don't think the high fat part of the LCHF diet is for you. My endocrinologist advised me against it as I am slim. If you are exercising then you need some carbohydrates.

3) I'm relieved you have started the ball rolling with the new GP. You could ring for an urgent appointment and take in the completed application form with you rather than wait a few days for a reply. If you do decide to post it, make sure you get a certificate of posting and ring the practice within a couple of days to make sure they have received it. Do not mention why you were refused appointments by your previous GP.

4) Still consider ringing 111 or popping into the local a and e/community health centre.-

Andover Community Health Team

Home Care in Andover
68 Junction Road
Andover
Hampshire
SP10 3QX

T: 01264 358 180
F: 01264 335 372

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know what @mist ?

Your ex's arrangement with your old doc writing out your script means something in all of this...
The doc has kept the "door" open..

Funny enough. I kept the same doc after I had moved slightly out of his postcode boundary. (At his discression when I levelled with him.) It was only when he retired I reluctantly changed surgery...

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mist - I really know nothing about type 1 or insulin as I'm type 2 and diet controlled so I'm not qualified to comment on what's going on. But, reading some of the comments I'm really concerned. Can your ex partner accompany you to a Drs appointment? If not your ex partner, a friend or someone you trust, just to get you there and through the door?

You've been through a lot and strike me as a determined person, a survivor. Be strong, make that phone call, explain the situation, and that you need help and WILL attend that appointment. Lots of us on here are supporting and rooting for you. It's not the same I know, but I had a huge phobia of needles, even before I was diagnosed with diabetes and thought about not going for my 2nd blood test. But I knew I had to push through my fears, and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I, and others want to know when you've made that appointment! x

Reactions: zand