Fluid measurements on ultrasound - should I be worried?

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys, haven't posted in a while (Type 1 DM, 1st baby).

I had a growth scan yesterday @30+4weeks. My endo & obstetric team had both written-normal growth scan in their notes & I was delighted! Overall Baby is measuring one week ahead and growth is on the 68th centile and abdo circumference on 66th so they seemed very happy all was in proportion!

However!... I was just reading my detailed scan report today and googled what the 'AFI' measurement was-so it's the amniotic fluid index. Mine was 21cm yesterday and when I looked up the significance of this value (there was no reference range on the report) apparently above 18 is abnormal & >20 is 'polyhydramnious'. It's the first report that I have that has actually measured the AFI-all my other scans says 'normal liquor volume'.

Trying not to worry because like I said no one commented on it yesterday but I'm wondering did they not notice it or something!!?
I'm not booked for another growth scan until 36weeks-is that too far away?? I'm back to both teams in 2weeks so I know I can discuss it all with them then but should I be worried? Is this really a high level? Does anyone else have experience of this? Does the fluid continue to increase or is there a chance the volume might be lower at next scan? HBA1c at conception wouldn't have been ideal (in 50's) but My last last ones have been 43, then 39 but most recent one was 41 and had another one done yesterday. I've been practically immobile last 4/5weeks with pelvic issue-would all this sitting around be affecting fluid volume?!

Apologies for long post- just very worried as I thought everything was great yesterday! Would love to hear if anyone has any experience like this?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @marie85 :)

If it was me, I'd give your team a ring to put your mind at rest. I'm sure they saw your AFI so the fact they didn't comment is good, I'd think. Perhaps it's only slightly above normal and they're happy that it's not an issue?

However, I'd definitely speak to them. Pregnancy is worrying anyway, so don't let this niggle away at you. Phone them tomorrow and ask :)

i had growth scans every 4 weeks, then every 2-4 weeks in the third trimester.

As far as I know, amniotic fluid increases through pregnancy, then levels off or decreasing for the last few weeks. From googling, it seems that some doctor say 21 is the high end of normal, so perhaps it's borderline?

Put it out of your mind until you can ask someone. I'm not a medical person, but I think if it was at all worrying, they'd have told you. X

Reactions: marie85

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @marie85 :)

If it was me, I'd give your team a ring to put your mind at rest. I'm sure they saw your AFI so the fact they didn't comment is good, I'd think. Perhaps it's only slightly above normal and they're happy that it's not an issue?

However, I'd definitely speak to them. Pregnancy is worrying anyway, so don't let this niggle away at you. Phone them tomorrow and ask :)

i had growth scans every 4 weeks, then every 2-4 weeks in the third trimester.

As far as I know, amniotic fluid increases through pregnancy, then levels off or decreasing for the last few weeks. From googling, it seems that some doctor say 21 is the high end of normal, so perhaps it's borderline?

Put it out of your mind until you can ask someone. I'm not a medical person, but I think if it was at all worrying, they'd have told you. X

Yeah your right - the only way to find out for sure is to ask them - il give them a ring tomorrow otherwise it will be another long 2weeks! I'll also be asking them at the next appt in 2weeks about another growth scan before 36weeks I think as it seems a bit long between 30 & 36wks to me too.
Thanks for the reply & advice @azure :)

Reactions: azure

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did you get the reassurance you were after @marie85 ?

Thanks for asking azure, they said they were happy with the fluid and not concerned. Another general scan today and all is good-measuring one week ahead still. Will be having anther growth scan in a few weeks again so hope everything remains stable!