Regular moderate exercise log

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bike ride today! 12.5km-ish on fairly challenging forest terrain.

Have booked an appt with my trusty osteopath for this week, as since yesterday afternoon (a few hours after running) my lower leg and foot (on the recently recovered side) started to really stiffen up, making my foot feel a little unstable and less comfy than normal, despite all the stretching I've been doing.

Grrrrrr and pants. Seems as if a total of 17.5km two days apart was, what, unreasonable?! I loved those runs yesterday and Thursday!

Still, the holy trinity thus evening of foam rollering, rolling my calf (source of problem, methinks) on a spiky rubber ball, and serious attention from Mr S's thumbs have made a small difference.

Why do I break myself quite so jolly often, hmmmm?

(Soz for whinging. I think it's end-of-weekend-itis.)

:banghead:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh @Snapsy . Sorry to hear you've tweaked your lower leg. Perhaps running on alternate days might be an option for awhile with cycling in between.
As you know I'm not a runner but I've heard of people who have some type of analysis of there running style undertaken to determine any problems, and get advice on footwear which may assist. I'm sure you know this but just thought I'd check.
Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: Snapsy

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Regular gym closed. Essential building works!!!!!!! Closed for a week. It's a council run gym so it may just be a loose door hinge. Back up gym called into use, quite a drive, no free weights, handful of weight machines but an abundance of cardio machines. A week of heavy cardio lies ahead for me. Guess a change is as good as a rest.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As you know I'm not a runner but I've heard of people who have some type of analysis of there running style undertaken to determine any problems, and get advice on footwear which may assist.
Thanks @therower ! Ironically I didn't go out in my new running shoes Thursday or Saturday as it was going to be wet underfoot...... my current shoes are due to retire as they're a year old - but I did get treadmilled and videoed by the gait analysis chap at the running shop when I got both pairs. I think it's because I - in true Snapsy style - went headlong for Tarmac again as soon as my foot was up to it..... and in so doing overdid things!

Next run is a 10k trail run on Sunday. Will see what the osteopath says about that later today........

:)

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usual gym still closed!!!!!!!! Using different gym and only been doing cardio.
Decided on a 10 km row ( first in maybe 2 yrs ). 42mins, not to bad, about 6 mins slower than when I was a fair bit younger:)
One thing I had forgotten was just how numb your backside can feel after a 40 min rowing session.
Memories........don't you just lov'em.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice one, @therower ! Perhaps take a cushion next time?!

I haven't tried the rowing machines at my gym - in fact I haven't gymmed for a couple of weeks, since starting to run outside again. Although I'm now not running outside again until after my 10k race now - I'm too worried about my stupid foot!

Wouldn't be quite so uptight about it, except I was approached by a village 'elder' yesterday who said that I'd better make it round 'as I've got a tenner on you!'. Blimey, no pressure then!

I do hope he's backed me each way rather than to actually win! ;)

(Joking! I'm running as a fundraiser for our church, which happily seems to have got the whole community behind me. I just wish every other run didn't result in an osteopathy appointment, as it's turning out to be rather demanding on my personal bank balance!)

Reactions: Japes

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy. No pressure on you then. Wow people backing you with hard earned cash:):).
I'm sure you'll storm the 10 k and hopefully your foot won't play up during or after the race.
At least you'll have lots of prayers to get you around.

A cushion??????? I've got an image you know:wacky: Can't be the big bad guy sitting on a cushion ;);););)

Reactions: Books1

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yippee! My walking mojo has returned. After weeks of struggling to do more than the walking commuting stuff, today I've been out for an enjoyable 13 miles, then came home to cut the front "lawn" (back garden is being somewhat neglected for good reason which is rather nice, as I dislike gardening) . Now just about to go back out for a brisk post prandial stroll to get a colour ink cartridge to finish off the job which is patiently waiting but needs to be done before 10.00 a.m. tomorrow.

Reactions: Books1 and therower

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi folks!

Didn't do the trail run last Sunday, went to the osteo again on Wednesday, not doing parkrun tomorrow BUT.........

.....after a challenging grrrrrrrrrr-y day today I have just got my running gear out of the drawer to put on in the morning, and off I shall head, gently, slowly and determinedly, across the fields. Not hard ground - hoping to not seize up my stiff foot. Which doesn't hurt, by the way, just stiff, but I want to be able to go for a run before my race, which is a week on Sunday, and it's tomorrow that I'm going to do it.

So there.

And I've just picked up my running magazine which has been festering in the magazine rack for a fortnight, where I've been sulkily glowering at it from a distance. And I'm reading it and re-engaging with Being A Runner. Cos I AM a runner.

Been swimming, walking and biking quite a bit. So tomorrow it's time to lace up my running shoes and burn some sole rubber*.

:)

*not really. Tortoise, not hare. And it's just started peeing with rain - so the ground will be nice and accommodating by tomorrow!

Reactions: Books1

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mojo definitely stuck around this time, apart from the days I was working as organist during the run-up to Easter. (We go a bit over the top at my church with extra services in Holy Week, and I am ever so slightly miffed that my pedometer doesn't register my organ playing steps, but another bit of me thinks it might be cheating, so am less miffed than I seem.)

Today I've been playing "catch up" on the three days of missed walking and I've almost done it. Will report back after the last stage which is about to happen now I've had my evening meal. (16.7 miles walking so far today...)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Japes . Sounds like you have been a star the past week. Sadly my knowledge of organ playing is zero but I suspect it's one of those things that demands and uses a lot of energy. I could see myself playing an organ and being drained by the time I finished. Being tone deaf wouldn't help I guess.
2 of the greatest gifts we possess as humans are the ability to make people laugh and create music ( my opinion ).
I'm sure you bring great joy with your organ playing.

Reactions: Japes

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Japes 16.7 miles already today? Wowzers!

I struggled just with all the standing up and sitting down at our service here yesterday with my post-10k legs, and applaud you for your energetic playing, Japes - I look forward to seeing you on Dragons' Den with your invention for an organ pedal pedometer? Could well catch on!

I was so excited to do parkrun on Saturday - I wanted to show off my race finisher t shirt. Turns out there's a misprint on it - it should rightly read 'finisheD'! I draaaaaaagged myself round in a smidgen under 40 minutes (slower even than my first EVER one!) - seems that my wrecked legs from last Sunday are not just because of muscle stiffness. Two lovely lovely mates ran back and found me after they'd finished, and guided me 'home'.

Then I took some questionable advice yesterday and - erm - went for a 'run'. The advice had been to do a gentle 5km run to ease my legs. So I quickly eased them into agony over 2km in the gorgeous early morning sunshine, at which point I phoned home and got Mr S to fetch me!

On a more positive note, my foot injury is a distant memory - yaaaaaaay - and my cold is better so I'm swimming again. And the pub's easier to reach by bike, so I've cycled nearly 30km this weekend! *coughs*

One of these days I will by some miracle become a runner who doesn't break after every outing! Watch this space! LOL!

;)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Japes . Sounds like you have been a star the past week. Sadly my knowledge of organ playing is zero but I suspect it's one of those things that demands and uses a lot of energy. I could see myself playing an organ and being drained by the time I finished. Being tone deaf wouldn't help I guess.
2 of the greatest gifts we possess as humans are the ability to make people laugh and create music ( my opinion ).
I'm sure you bring great joy with your organ playing.

Thank you, that's kind. I'm very lucky in that the organ I play regularly is a modern one, and that's much less physically demanding than an older beastie which can have me exhausted after half an hour.

For me it's also probably less physically demanding than emotionally demanding - knowing what I do can make such a difference to the service. Few people remember when I'm on good form, but oh boy, do my mistakes or errors of judgement linger long in the memory of those inclined that way.

I'm certainly enjoying this week off the organ stool!

Reactions: therower

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Japes 16.7 miles already today? Wowzers!

I struggled just with all the standing up and sitting down at our service here yesterday with my post-10k legs, and applaud you for your energetic playing, Japes - I look forward to seeing you on Dragons' Den with your invention for an organ pedal pedometer? Could well catch on!

I was so excited to do parkrun on Saturday - I wanted to show off my race finisher t shirt. Turns out there's a misprint on it - it should rightly read 'finisheD'! I draaaaaaagged myself round in a smidgen under 40 minutes (slower even than my first EVER one!) - seems that my wrecked legs from last Sunday are not just because of muscle stiffness. Two lovely lovely mates ran back and found me after they'd finished, and guided me 'home'.

Then I took some questionable advice yesterday and - erm - went for a 'run'. The advice had been to do a gentle 5km run to ease my legs. So I quickly eased them into agony over 2km in the gorgeous early morning sunshine, at which point I phoned home and got Mr S to fetch me!

On a more positive note, my foot injury is a distant memory - yaaaaaaay - and my cold is better so I'm swimming again. And the pub's easier to reach by bike, so I've cycled nearly 30km this weekend! *coughs*

One of these days I will by some miracle become a runner who doesn't break after every outing! Watch this space! LOL!

;)

Some of my organist friends who have more sophisticated or more sensitive devices to record physical activity tell me they do get step counts when they are playing!

I'm sitting down quietly after a bath, 22.3 miles and a very smug look on my face as I can record over 50,000 steps in both my "Aerobic Steps" (what my pedometer calls continuous, brisk walking for more than 10 minutes at a time) and over 52,000 in my total steps count for today. Now my legs ache a bit...

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
20 minutes walking around the neighborhood today.

Welcome to the world of regular moderate exercise! We're a supportive crew here.

(Ignore some of my less moderate exercise exploits - mostly, I'm really quite moderate! I just occasionally succumb to the urge to walk miles and miles.)