Lost appetite

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started low carb 3 weeks ago and have done really well. One stone lighter, skin clearer and have been taken off gliclazide due to controlled levels. However, I have absolutely no appetite. I can, and do, go more than 24 hours without food with no hunger, and then I only need to eat a very small amount before I've had enough. I don't fancy eating anything in particular but I'm not unhappy or struggling.
Did anyone else feel like this after starting LCHF?

Lenah_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get that occasionally, but I find it's important to force yourself to eat a little something. It's not good to go 24 hours with nothing at all.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get this every single day. I no longer crave food, I'm no longer hungry, I can go a few days easily without every feeling hungry.

The downside is that I am now underweight and desperately trying to gain a few lbs.

Reactions: purplepenguin

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the things i love about low carbing is that the ravening snacking carb hunger vaporises. :)

But are you happy with the continued weight loss?
I think sometimes we have to find a balance between appetite, blood glucose, nutition and weight loss. :)

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some days are hungry days and some I don't hardly bother to eat at all. Works out fine for me but I'm not on medication.
It's good you're off Glicazide as that might have caused a hypo when not eating.
If you have weight to lose take advantage of the days you feel no need to eat too much :)

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the things i love about low carbing is that the ravening snacking carb hunger vaporises. :)

I think sometimes we have to find a balance between appetite, blood glucose, nutition and weight loss. :)
Yes it's a dillema. I hoped weight loss through low carb would reverse my insulin resistance.

3 months later and it's made little difference, I've lost 2.5 stone and gone from BMI 25.2 to 20.5.

Im not comfortable at this weight with only 12% body fat.

Also, if I try to eat carbs now my response is shocking, worst than before I started.

I'm going to have to re-evaluate my situation and find a new way forward I think.

Reactions: Brunneria

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have a lot of weight to lose, about 7 stone, so the lack of appetite is a godsend right now.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @purplepenguin

Although it's great not feeling hungry, I do think it's important to consider what nutrients you need to eat, for general health etc. So, I would think you should be eating some protien, ie meat, fish, cheese, nuts and some green veg. Other than that, I would think you should be OK. Maybe take a Multi-vitamin tab daily too, just to make sure you are getting all the vits your body needs.

Take advantage of this time to lose any weight you'd like, or need, to lose. :)