Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay - confession time - you know with my job it was compulsory staff eat with the residents? And mostly I didn't do the cooking? Well, before I started low carbing and taking my meals to work with me I did used to guess my insulin dosage as I didn't have the opportunity to weigh my food or have time between dishing up and eating to calculate dosage. Scary. Yet it wasn't at the time - just seemed better to inject something rather than nothing. It was like 'Uhhhh - how many units shall I inject for that slab of chocolate gateau that Xxx's Mum bought in for us.... oh... probably about 10'. Seriously. Knowing what I know now its amazing I'm still alive. That's the sort of thing that the insulin brain fog let me do.

We always go self catering on holiday - usually we have our main meal and any cooked breakfasts out and other meals/snacks we buy each day when we've decided what we feel like eating.

Oh, Jack's former owners have got a lot to answer for. He's stopped doing it now (thank heavens) but when he first moved in he would cringe and occasionally wet himself if one of us bent to stroke him and you couldn't get a cuddle out of him - things like that are slowly changing.
Scary...

I remember my friend telling me how her now Ex Type 1 boyfriend refused to control his diet. It was a case of he would eat and drink anything and just inject and guess. She said she lost track of the number of times she had to take emergency action when he got to 1. Something at night. Hence why He's an Ex.

Lovely to have you back @Brunneria. I resisted the temptation to 'accidentally' trip the bully with my crutch. He's gone too far now though. He knocked one of the girls to the ground and stood on her so she couldn't get up and the other who is tiny he grabbed by the neck and dragged her along the ground. Glad grandson decided it was enough and spoke up.
I'm still thinking longingly about Prima Donna Maturo though.

Reactions: Brunneria

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
That bully sounds a complete monster. Hopefully they can get him some help rather than just punish him otherwise he'll just carry on doing it later in his life to anyone he perceives as being weaker.

Last night was strange. We couldn't eat until late (which I'd planned for) and it was one of my favourite meals - deli meats, cheeses, houmous, taramasalata and salad - but I just didn't feel hungry. I ate about half what I'd normally have (although I did have a couple of glasses of Prosecco). This morning my BG was 5.4. I don't know if this was the eating late or eating so little that has given me this lovely surprise. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Scary...

I remember my friend telling me how her now Ex Type 1 boyfriend refused to control his diet. It was a case of he would eat and drink anything and just inject and guess. She said she lost track of the number of times she had to take emergency action when he got to 1. Something at night. Hence why He's an Ex.

Lovely to have you back @Brunneria. I resisted the temptation to 'accidentally' trip the bully with my crutch. He's gone too far now though. He knocked one of the girls to the ground and stood on her so she couldn't get up and the other who is tiny he grabbed by the neck and dragged her along the ground. Glad grandson decided it was enough and spoke up.
I'm still thinking longingly about Prima Donna Maturo though.

Prima Donna Maturo ..... I think I've heard of it - is it a cheese?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prima Donna Maturo ..... I think I've heard of it - is it a cheese?
It is and I am eating a bit right now pre swimming.
I made a discovery this morning - my liver dump is fast and high. I was following your advice of eat straight away. So bed on 6.9 FBG 7.3 which was great. Made breakfast , took 15 mins to cook and sit down - tested expecting to be maybe 7.9 ? I was 9.3 ! In 15 mins really ? How do I stop this. ? Had breakfast and off to swimming so it will come down but that's crazy in 15 mins.

Sadakf

Hello about to embark on the diet doctor low carbs diet, have reduced my carb and sugar intake however I love my fruit. Any advice? I was diagnosed type 2 in February. Currently taking 1500mg metformin. Thanks

Reactions: Brunneria

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I made a discovery this morning - my liver dump is fast and high. I was following your advice of eat straight away. So bed on 6.9 FBG 7.3 which was great. Made breakfast , took 15 mins to cook and sit down - tested expecting to be maybe 7.9 ? I was 9.3 ! In 15 mins really ? How do I stop this. ? Had breakfast and off to swimming so it will come down but that's crazy in 15 mins.

That's what happened to me on Thursday evening. I can't think of any way to prevent it apart from keeping something substantial to eat next to your bed.

Reactions: Ultramum

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The only thing that stopped my 'wake up spike' was to eat some cheese or nuts as soon as I woke up. That is within 5 mins of opening my eyes. Before feet hit the floor. Before going for a pee. Before even sitting up in bed.

Even waking, peeing and returning to bed for a (rare) lie in would start it.

Climbing the stairs and/or showering sent it silly-high.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello about to embark on the diet doctor low carbs diet, have reduced my carb and sugar intake however I love my fruit. Any advice? I was diagnosed type 2 in February. Currently taking 1500mg metformin. Thanks

Hello :) welcome to the forum and this thread. Have you had the excellent information email from @daisy1 ?

Yes, I used to love fruit but had to give it up when I started this very low carb (ketogenic) way of eating - nowadays I just have a very small handful of raspberries with double cream or full fat yoghurt but they still tend to raise my blood glucose. :(

The best advice I can give is to get a meter and test your blood to see how different foods affect you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome!

Have a look at the carb content of berries. You may find having them withcream has minimal impact :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @Chook and @Brunneria have already said berries are are best bet. I'm a fan of Hartley's sugar free jelly with 6 raspberries and a little double cream. Or I may have some sliced strawberries. Blueberries and blackberries don't do too much harm either. I don't have them every day and again as has been said I keep a close eye on what a particular food does to me.
I was a big fruit fan but for example, melon or banana which I both loved sends me through the roof so I just don't eat them now. Get a meter and test like mad until you find out what you can and can't tolerate. Diet Doctor meal plans are great for keeping you on the straight and narrow and the food is delicious. You'll also get loads of ideas in the low carb what have you eaten today thread. You quickly learn if you can't eat something you adapt and we are a pretty imaginative bunch .

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think if I had a lower starting point it wouldn't niggle at me so much. So if I was getting up to FBG of 5.5 and hitting 7.5 pre breakfast that would be good news for me. I was delighted going to bed on 6.9 and getting up to 7.3 as that wasn't much movement. I think I just couldn't believe it then shot up so quickly. I wasn't bothered because I knew breakfast plus then swimming would get it right back down again (which it has) but I'm kind of wondering now how much higher it would have gone without the quick breakfast or how did I end up with very little movement on Thursday when I had no food for hours as I was at Physio? Answers to these questions and more when I finally get onto the Libre (package is in transit).

I know I'm going to be zapping like mad (certainly at first) but don't fret @Brunneria I'm not obsessing about the figures I just want to see what it is up to.

Maybe I should install a tiny fridge beside my bed? I'll try walnuts - I did try at night and they didn't help but I haven't had morning walnuts. I certainly never thought a normal morning routine would have so much effect.

Just getting more water down me , dropped off swimming bags then heading out for shopping. Want some time to myself as it's a beautiful day today.

Reactions: Chook and Brunneria

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and @Brunneria, one of the ads that popped up on my Internet was for Lindt 99% Excellence ! Not cheap , could only see 1 online supplier - Friars - but they are 50g bars at £2.55 each. Amazon have them too but they are double the price. The 50g bar has 4g carbs and 1 g sugar although at 99% I doubt anyone could eat a 50g bar (they'd need to link me to a heart monitor!)

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55 Last Easter Mr C bought me some of the little 100% bars from Hotel Chocolat - talk about difficult to eat! They were very bitter but I had to eat them all (not all at the same time) because he was so proud of getting me an Easter treat. They left an interesting after taste but I wouldn't want to try them again.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 Last Easter Mr C bought me some of the little 100% bars from Hotel Chocolat - talk about difficult to eat! They were very bitter but I had to eat them all (not all at the same time) because he was so proud of getting me an Easter treat. They left an interesting after taste but I wouldn't want to try them again.
I've got the 90% but it lasts ages. 1 square if I need a lift. Not sure I'd like 100% although carb and sugar must have been negligible

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My max (so far) is 85%, but I do prefer the 70-80% bars. Tescos do a nice 72% that has started to taste like milk choc to me. ;)
So that shows how much my palate has changed...

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My max (so far) is 85%, but I do prefer the 70-80% bars. Tescos do a nice 72% that has started to taste like milk choc to me. ;)
So that shows how much my palate has changed...
I like the 90% - just has a square.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I was testing when I got up and then just before breakfast 15 minutes later and getting similar numbers to you - now I just test when I get up and two hours after breakfast - as long as it isn't too high then I just assume that there has been a spike art some point but my body has dealt with it - not found anything that will stop it so just ignoring it and hoping it will come down with my general lower sugars eventually -

Fathead pizza for tea tomorrow :) - staying on track!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I was testing when I got up and then just before breakfast 15 minutes later and getting similar numbers to you - now I just test when I get up and two hours after breakfast - as long as it isn't too high then I just assume that there has been a spike art some point but my body has dealt with it - not found anything that will stop it so just ignoring it and hoping it will come down with my general lower sugars eventually -

It's reassuring to know I'm not alone with this issue. My issue is I've been getting some crackers up into 10's and 11's I've got school holidays coming up so that will give me a chance to experiment without rushing around with the grandsons first thing. I'm also going to know what's going on as I have 3 Libre sensors on the way as curiosity has got the better of me (and my poor fingers are stabbed to death ) trying to work out what is going on. I'm also going to try as @Brunneria suggested eating something before I get out of bed. My diet is fine - must admit I visualise my liver like an overstuffed haggis
I get frustrated with illogical results which is probably down to the very analytical work I used to do. I'll just keep on looking - unless we're all lucky and it deflates like a whoopee cushion in a few months time

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Actually, that's exactly what I do. Maybe you should try it for a day and see what your numbers look like.

I had a strange thing happen this evening. Mr C was late home then we popped in to Doncaster to get some necessary shopping and by then it was too late to cook the complicated meal he'd planned so we stopped and had a Toby Carvery meal (paid the extra for the extra large as we were both starving by then). Anyway, i had a big plateful - just lots of beef with savoy cabbage, red cabbage, a tiny amount of carrots but I had a large portion of cauliflower cheese (very nice). Plus a large glass of white wine. After eating we came straight home and for some reason I tested as soon as we got home - less than 45 minutes after eating - result: 7.8!!! Then I decided not to record it but wait until the normal two hours and by then it was down to 5.5! Oh, and in the meantime I also had a florentine ( @Brunneria Lidl are selling them again but bigger than at Christmas).

I am so pleased with that 5.5. I wish now that I'd tested Mr C's BG when I did my first test as he ate a virtually identical meal to me (but without the wine) just to see how a non diabetic would react to the same meal.