pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

JeanCL

3.9 after shower + shampoo plus walking dogs, but I think 4.2 lowest before that. I think I may have got it very low with lower carb higher protein/fat diet, and trying to reduce stress, but have long had low BMI too for decades and walked my dogs 1.5 hrs a day. HbA1c was 43 for the last two years, so interesting to see what this summer brings, including for my cholesterol (was 5.1, down from 6.1 a year earlier when under much more stress). My readings have definitely gone up to prediabetic levels with e.g. iced Christmas cake, or hummus sandwich with regular wholewheat bread, and my brother developed type 2, so want to avoid that.

Reactions: kumera and Prem51

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm mid to high sixes at the moment rising to seven plus.. Desperately trying to gain weight with low carb high calorie smoothies, which is working as I gained 2lb in 3 days but the offset is a total mess with fasting numbers...

I also stopped exercising for 2 weeks in an attempt to gain.

I can't win whatever I do it seems.

Reactions: Prem51

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you're going from one extreme to the other. You don't want to gain fat weight, muscle weight yes, but fat will only make you more insulin resistant and will end up blocking you liver and pancreas with fat. Also with stopping you exercise will also end up increasing insulin resistance. You don't have to do extremes to see good results, just 10-15 walk, after meals. and ensure you're eating 3 meals 4-5 hours apart.

Do weight lifting to gain muscle weight if concerned about your weight, as with low carb diets your body can end up turning to muscle protein to fuel your system, and the reason why resistance training along with cardio is important on these sorts of diets.

Yes, all taken onboard.

Im struggling at the moment, I feel desperately unhappy at 10 stone 7 and look way too skinny. I sort of lost track of my weight until I realised how low I had allowed it to go and now just want to gain around 10lbs. Im happiest at 12 stone.

All sounds daft I know, all the are you ill comments from those around me don't help to be honest.

I figured if I piled on a few pounds for a few weeks all would be well but I didn't bargain on messed up FBG.

it's just a minefield, I cant find the answers.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, all taken onboard.

Im struggling at the moment, I feel desperately unhappy at 10 stone 7 and look way too skinny. I sort of lost track of my weight until I realised how low I had allowed it to go and now just want to gain around 10lbs. Im happiest at 12 stone.

All sounds daft I know, all the are you ill comments from those around me don't help to be honest.

I figured if I piled on a few pounds for a few weeks all would be well but I didn't bargain on messed up FBG.

I was in a similar position, weight fell off me until 11st 9 lbs. I started eating quite a few nuts and olives and butter and I've not lost another ounce.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 after shower + shampoo plus walking dogs, but I think 4.2 lowest before that. I think I may have got it very low with lower carb higher protein/fat diet, and trying to reduce stress, but have long had low BMI too for decades and walked my dogs 1.5 hrs a day. HbA1c was 43 for the last two years, so interesting to see what this summer brings, including for my cholesterol (was 5.1, down from 6.1 a year earlier when under much more stress). My readings have definitely gone up to prediabetic levels with e.g. iced Christmas cake, or hummus sandwich with regular wholewheat bread, and my brother developed type 2, so want to avoid that.
That's very low, I've only been in the 4's once since being diagnosed. Well done :)

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8mmol/l at 8am - (4.9mool/l yesterday at 6;30am)

Been experimenting with for the past week on lower carbs <100g, and noticed fasting was constantly higher in the 5s, went back to 150g carbs, and back in the 4s again and last night late meal 10:30pm and got 4.8mmol/l this morning. I guess when it's lower carbs your body has to do more work to find glucose as it's not coming in, and sets a higher base level. Interestingly as I've just read that on very low carb diets, the body sets a higher glucose base level, and the only way to get lower fasting on this very low carb diet is intermittent fasting to force it lower. So I'm back on normal about of carbs now.
Interesting, I've also noticed that when I have bigger meals, I don't count carbs, my FBG is lower than when I try to keep my spikes really low. Maybe some people need a bit of carbs??

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, all taken onboard.

I rapidly lost 10 kilos and are at 52.5kg now. Everyone says, don't lose anymore weight, like I'm trying to do that!! A few extra nuts just didn't do it for me. Now I'm going to experiment with bigger meals. I do spike to 8.1 but my husband, who isn't prediabetic does that as well. My BFG is much better now. I still eat healthy, salads, vegies, but are adding creamy mushroom sauce, home made icecream and munch on salty nuts. Makes me happy and weight is stable. Aiming to gain some weight, but slowly! I've googled, I don't know how many prediabetes sites, and the one stuck in my head is the one that said : Treat yourself once in a while. Remember you don't have diabetes yet!!

Reactions: Jamesuk9 and Prem51

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A mixed bag for me the last few days, I had two 5.8's , two 6.3's and today was 6.9 :(

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.6 for me today. Dropped to 5.8 by 3pm.

I've now gained 3.5lbs in 4-5 days.

My plan is to continue as I am and try to add another 7 lbs in the next fortnight, whilst keeping an eye on my FBG. It's not out of control, but makes me anxious seeing it over 6.

So, I will try to gain then maintain and get control again.

Regular small meals and nothing after 7pm will be my approach once I hit 11.5 stone. This will take my BMI up to 22.5, a place where I will feel happier. I was a bit overweight at the start of this journey at 13 stone and 25.2 BMI.

11.5 stone will be my compromise.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 today. Lower than I expected as I'm still shovelling tons of calories in.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2, 5.8 and 5.7 Checked an "old" food diary. Same food that I used get 6.1 FBG now is 5.6. Definitely going in the right direction. Must be the loss of bellyfat :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Jamesuk9

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive had a run of 6.7's for a few days now. Not happy with that, no idea why it's gone up

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 this morning didn't think I deserved it Have been 4.9 + 5.4 on the previous 2 mornings .
There is no rhyme or reason to it I have found....

I can be exceptionally careful about my diet and get a high number and on the other hand I can eat a little too much and get a shock lower number... It's all a puzzle...

5.9 for me today.