Controlled Diabetes (2 years) but still losing weight

Zohaib

Thank you for the replies. They are very informative.

When insulin was causing hypos were you perhaps taking too much for your meals ? I eat very small meals and only take 1/2-1 unit with them.

When I took insulin, I was advised by doctor to take 20 units of Lantus 3 times a day and break my meal into small six times a day. That usually resulted in low sugar of around 50 which caused me to wake up at midnight or stop working at early afternoon to eat sth.

Can you ask for a c- peptide test? That will show how much insulin you produce on your own. I have no idea what your GAD measurement is and how to convert it to US. But I do know it should be close to zero.

My C-peptide result is 0.69 ng/ml while GAD antibody is 14.98 IU/ml.

I also would like to ask you about pain in joints? Did you used to have pain in joints? As I usually have pain in my knees and vertebrae.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure how your results convert to US results but if it's roughly the times 18 thing then your GAD is high. Here in the US .69 for c peptide is low but again I'm sure the conversion is different.

As far as achy joints , yes I had them. More achy everywhere as I was wasting away literally. To be more specific my knees and back always hurt. Much better now. But this can be from many other causes. Not everything is linked to diabetes but some things certainly are. They sudden weight loss is what concerns me.

What were you told about your gad and c peptide?

20 units of lantus 3 times a day??? And small meals ?? How big are you and what are your meals ? Lantus is not supposed to work on food. It's to keep your bs steady when you're not eating. I have never heard of lantus 3 times a day and 60 units a day sounds like an awful lot. I take 2 units before bed. Then bolus for food during the day. Grantite I take very small doses compaired to lot she of people but yours seems quite high and why aren't you on bolus insulin. Personally, I would get a second opinion. I'm still thinking you need insulin but more do a basal/ bolus regime.

Zohaib

What were you told about your gad and c peptide?

Doctor told me that my gad was normal but c-peptide was low which meant that my body was not producing insulin.

What treatment did you get for achy joints? My doctor advised me to take calcium tablets but they didn't resolved the issue.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Calcium and magnesium give me muscle cramps. I was not given any advice on that. Insulin resolved most of my ailments including joint/ muscle pain

If your cpeptide is low that generally means you need insulin. Your body is not absorbing your nutrients. I would talk to your doc about ataring it again at lower doses. Lantus is generally only taken once a day, sometimes twice. It just sounds as if your dose was too high thus the hypos.

Did you notice the weight loss after stopping insulin? Did you gain when you started?

I believe both meds you're on CAUSE weight loss as well

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the replies. They are very informative.

My C-peptide result is 0.69 ng/ml while GAD antibody is 14.98 IU/ml.

I also would like to ask you about pain in joints? Did you used to have pain in joints? As I usually have pain in my knees and vertebrae.

Hi @Zohaib,
I am T1 person and I was also getting joint pain like you. You will get this joint pain and tiredness only when your bg level is not in good control. I am also in honeymoon phase, my doctor told me to leave the insulin dose completely. But after leaving the insulin dose, i started to get tiredness and joint pain in morning. I also lost 1 to 2 kg weight in one month.

After that without asking my doctor, i started to continue my insulin dose, I take 2 unit lantus in night and 2 unit mixtard insulin before having dinner. I fell good as normal person and my bg will be in normal range. I also gain 2 kg weight with in few days.

So insulin is very necessary for T1 person. Without insulin we canot get energy in our body. So many doctor they will just do experiment on our body to learn something new.

Reactions: azure

Zohaib

I consulted my doctor yesterday as per advice. He prescribed me humalog mix 25 mg for 20 units before morning meal and 12 units before night meal.

Reactions: azure

Zohaib

My experience of insulin was not great. I took insulin at around 6:15am and got hypo by mid-morning (9:30am), than again before lunch (12:00pm). The third hypo was at 5 pm. It seems my insulin dose is quite high.

What do you say should I adjust my diet according to insulin dosage or adjust my insulin according to my diet?

plus I did not exercised yesterday as I was feeling low sugar, can you guide me how to manage it?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience of insulin was not great. I took insulin at around 6:15am and got hypo by mid-morning (9:30am), than again before lunch (12:00pm). The third hypo was at 5 pm. It seems my insulin dose is quite high.

What do you say should I adjust my diet according to insulin dosage or adjust my insulin according to my diet?

plus I did not exercised yesterday as I was feeling low sugar, can you guide me how to manage it?

A mixed insulin dose will have been calculated to deal with a certain amount of carbs. You need to speak to the prescriber to find out how many carbs you should be eating at each meal, you may also need to snack. You will need to eat the same carbs for each meal and snack at the same time every day. If youre exercising you will need to eat more carbs. There's no flexibility in a mixed insulin regime.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

As Catapillar said above, you will need to eat a set amount of carbs at each meal when you're on mixed insulin. You'll also have to stick to set meal times, particularly for lunch. Even if you eat the correct amount of carbs at each meal, you may sometimes need a small carb snack too.

To exercise, test your blood sugar before you start. Depending on what exercise you do, you'll probably need to,eat extra glucose and a longer acting carb snack so your blood sugar doesn't go low during the exercise.

So - speak to your doctor and find out how many carbs you should have for,each meal first.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I took basal insulin in the morning I hypos many times throughout the day. Now I just take lantus before bed and use novolog for food and no hypos. You have both on board at all times so it's harder to control the peaks and troughs of your basal.

If you see the hypos at the same time everyday you could have a snack before that and try to head it off