Pregnant: New to GD - Breakfast!?!

Frankie83

I'm not a fan of all bran so I think I may go down the porridge route, I may even make it with water
As I can't stand milk and it effects my skin, so generally have the smallest amount of skimmed milk. I'm a pain I know!
Ive never considered rye bread, but am willing to try anything especially for those times I haven't got time to make porridge. I work for the ambulance service and am generally out the house by 6:15 each morning.

It's all come as a surprise for me, the pregnancy is an IVF pregnancy and while I've always had a good diet, I've tried extra hard to maintain that good diet throughout. I only allowed myself 1 small slice of cake for my 40th a couple of weeks ago.
So last week when I was diagnosed I had a small meltdown with the Midwife, she was very reassuring and explained that it's to do with my age, pcos and just hormones rather than anything I had done. This made me feel a whole lot better.

Whilst I deal with many type1 and type 2 diabetics in my line of work, when it's myself and due to pregnancy I think I'm harsher, and finding it quite difficult.

I have similar work issues as I'm in the Police. However I cook an omelette the night before and take it to work in a container to eat when I arrive (sometimes re heat it, sometimes don't bother). You could always chuck it in the microwave and eat before leaving. Timewise it must be the same as preparing and eating a bowl of cereal?

Gemsydodger

Type of diabetes
Gestational
I couldn't eat any cereals in my first pregnancy. This is my second pregnancy and I'm on insulin. I have discovered weetabix oaty bars low sugar... I got 5 for 79p in b&ms ... they're what I keep in the car if I hypo .... they don't knock me so high that my sugars are over the target... worth a try :)

Gemsydodger

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Also, I don't know if it's available in the mainland, but I use irwins 7 seeded bread, one slice with an extreme amount of sun pat no added sugar peanut butter, that takes me to about 7.8, that was before insulin, so for someone who is tolerating better it might be an option :)

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Rosieroo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast I struggled with with my GD. I ended up having some kind of salad in the end. Even on insulin I couldn't eat porridge or any carbs.

hannahfrance

Type of diabetes
Gestational
I love breakfast! I normally eat 2 Weetabix with semi skimmed milk and sometimes Porridge with a teaspoon of honey. My blood sugar levels measured 2 hours later are always under what they should be. Ranging from 3.8 at the lowest to 4.8 as an average. I have gestational type 2 Diabetes.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have PCOS, you already were insulin-resistant. Kindof part and parcel with the condition. (I wasn't told, just that I'd have to jump through hoops to become pregnant. Nothing about insulin issues, which would've been good to know before they turned into T2!). There's nothing you could've done to avoid GD, and right now, it looks like you're doing everything right. Personally I wouldn't touch cereals, but I'm a non-pregnant, full-fleged T2, and my nutritional needs are VERY different from yours, obviously. Two friends of mine had GD, and one had two healthy boys, the other a little miracle girl (She was told she'd never be able to have children. Little Thalia just showed up. :) ). Just keep an eye on your bloodsugars, get in touch with your team if they rise to unacceptable levels (there's no "crying wolf" when pregnant),and make sure you get everything you and the little one need. Should your bloodsugars rise in the mornings, more than they are now, you could try full fat greek yoghurt with some berries and nuts (if that's alright for pregnant women, but I think it is). It's quick and lower carb than the cereal, and the fats in the yoghurt slow the uptake down.

And congrats on the pregnancy! ;)
Jo

Hi Jokalsbeek, I think this post is an old one??? I'm hoping she's had her baby by now poor woman! :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jokalsbeek, I think this post is an old one??? I'm hoping she's had her baby by now poor woman! :)
Thank you! I deleted my response.... But it showed up in my "recent threads" for some reason, so I thought it was new... Weird!