Cholesterol medication

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
I have recently had my bloods taken and my hsbc1 was 5.8 and my cholesterol was 5.8 too the nurse suggested I start taking cholesterol tablets and also 1 metformin a day I thought that my levels were ok and don't understand why they want me to start on medication. Am I missing something?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Did you get a print out of your blood test results? If not, this would be a good idea. Did the nurse give you a breakdown of your cholesterol (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides)? Without that information you can't really make a decision on cholesterol medication.

I see you are LADA but not on insulin. (according to your profile) Are you just on Metformin? Have you been medication free until now?

An HbA1c of 5.8% is very good. What was your HbA1c when diagnosed, and how long ago was that?

Reactions: Prem51

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed about 14 month ago my initial hsbc1 was 6.1 and then I had glucose Intolerance and this was around 11 I have been medication free the nurse said that all diabetics should be on cholesterol medication because of the blood becoming sticky and to take 1 metformin I have been on eating healthily and exercising for around 3 hours a day lost a stone in weight just didn't get that I had to take medication

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to speak to your nurse again. When you were diagnosed you were only just inside the diabetic range, and have managed to improve on that with your diet and exercise. It is unusual for Metformin to be prescribed for the first time with an HbA1c as good as yours. Do have a word with your nurse and ask why she wants you on this medication when your HbA1c is at non-diabetic levels. Ask her how she thinks it will help you.

We are all told to take cholesterol medication (statins) once we are diabetic. This is normal, but many of us do research about statins and decide whether we take them or not. There is plenty of information on this forum about statins and whether they are necessary or not, so I advise you to do a search for some of these threads, read the links and watch the videos. Then make up your own mind, but you do need the breakdown before you make any decisions.

Did you have the GAD and C-peptide tests that resulted in a diagnosis of LADA? LADA is late onset Type 1 diabetes.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever you do, avoid taking statins as many people have dire side effects from taking them. They have no benefit for women.

Reactions: Gannet

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Don't be a sheep - you have the option of whether to take statins or not - you can say no.

Plus there other things you can take instead - plant sterols for example, or milk thistle. Personally I think they are far too quick to shove more pills down us!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All I got out of taking a Metformin tablet a day was the new carpet cleaner - if you are sensitive to it the explosive results are painful and embarrassing.
The statins affected my memory and intellect - and I still make silly mistakes months after stopping them - and I only took them for about 5 weeks.
I am not so bothered about the Sudoku solving but I have been really trying with my songs, and I might be getting a bit better.
Medication which makes life not worth the effort is best avoided.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
All I got out of taking a Metformin tablet a day was the new carpet cleaner - if you are sensitive to it the explosive results are painful and embarrassing.
The statins affected my memory and intellect - and I still make silly mistakes months after stopping them - and I only took them for about 5 weeks.
I am not so bothered about the Sudoku solving but I have been really trying with my songs, and I might be getting a bit better.
Medication which makes life not worth the effort is best avoided.
I was just thankful I lived in a flat - I didn't have stairs to contend with when my stomach revolted in no uncertain terms!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made the room next to the bathroom into a sitting room - there is a toilet downstairs but out in the conservatory. Too far away when the Metfiendish strikes.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
On the other hand I have had no problems with Metformin to speak of. Nor with Statins either and took them for many years but no longer do so as I have come believe they are a con and can have deleterious effects that are not immediately apparent but that is just my opinion.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I also took statins for years without any noticeable side effects, apart from a bit of shoulder muscle pain at first. But statins can raise your blood sugars so I have stopped taking them.
Your total cholesterol figure of 5.8 is the same as mine at my last HbA1c. Some GPs (including mine) and DNs want the total to be less than 4.0 for T2 diabetics in line with NHS gudelines, but other HCPs believe the different components, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides and their ratios to each other are more important.
You need to find out what your HDL, LDL and triglycerides figures are @Pollyg3