Anyone have Coeliac Disease and Type 2?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@AlexTreville
the following 2 excerpts are from the celiac association.

The link between type 1 diabetes mellitus and celiac disease was first established in the 1960s. The estimated prevalence of celiac disease in patients with type 1 diabetes is approximately 8%, and about 1% in the general population. Most patients with both conditions have asymptomatic celiac disease, or symptoms that may be confused for symptoms of their diabetes.

There is no established link between type 2 diabetes and celiac disease. Type 2 diabetes does have genetic components, but they are not associated with celiac disease genes like type 2 diabetes’ are.

the original OP has clearly stated she is type 2 and to be honest this forum is about support , but support that is delivered in an empathetic way to encourage either further discussion or clearly engagement on the subject being discussed.
Many people that post are scared , worried and very unsure when they post so kindness does make a difference to people.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pinkiepunksmummy - there is also a condition called "non-celiac gluten sensitivity" although there are some researchers who believe this to be a form of FODMAPS intolerance (wheat is a FODMAPS food) - there is quite a lot of current research being done in this area. Since you said you also have IBS, you might want to check out the low FODMAPS diet to see if it helps you:

http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Type 2 diabetes DOES NOT guarantee Coeliacs Disease.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to have a rant at me.

Anyway, I have my first appointment at the gastro clinic next week so hopefully I will find out soon if I do have Coeliacs Disease.

@AlexTreville , this is your quote :- Coeliac basically guarantees Diabetes...from reading on the web; about 10% of Type 1 Diabetics are Coeliac as well. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 3 years before I went off gluten after my niece was diagnosed, and I had the Red Cross check my Alleles, and came up positive for the genetics.

Having coeliac doesn't basically guarantee coeliac and having diabetes doesn't basically guarantee coeliac either.. Type 1 diabetes accounts for about 10 % , so with your quote that would mean all type 1's have coeliac, which they don't.
I found a good link about coeliac myths.

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
Well, it turns out that I don't have Coeliac's Disease, but I do have an egg allergy, Mast Cell Activation and possibly Crohn's or Collitis, still waiting for further testing on those.
I finally got skin prick testing and have had lots of my allergies confirmed.
I started on Nalcrom food allergy tablets which are reducing my allergic reactions and my skin and stomach have settled down a bit.
Managing a healthy diet and diabetes is hard when whole food groups have to be cut out due to allergies - all fish and shellfish, all fruits, some vegetables and now eggs too :( I am glad I can still eat gluten/wheat!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hello
New member here.
Type 1 for 42 years and a coeliac for 7.

Phew a complex discussion.............

I just wanted to point out that people are sometimes mis-diagnosed with IBS when they actually have Bile Acid Malabsorption.
Not trying to depress you as it is treatable.

Kindest regards and good luck

Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Actually, I am interested in how you were finally diagnosed with Bile Acid Malabsorption . Were there particular tests? Maybe it is possible to have IBS plus this malabsorption? And could you talk a little about it?

I was suffering with bad guts for quite a while so went to the Doctors.
After tests i had a camera down my throat (shocking experience) and coeliacs was dignosed.
Following a gluten free diet didn't cure my bad guts so other tests for allergies and the like followed.
All of this took about 2 years so you can imagine my state of mind (discussing bad guts with friends and family is not the done thing).
I was then sent for a Nuclear test which is quite simple but apparently expensive(!)
Took a large tablet then a scan was taken of my guts.
Went back a week later for the same scan and from this Bile Acid Malabsorption was diagnosed which simply put means my liver doesn't deal with acid properly so it dumps it in my intestines causing the bad guts!
I was given some powders which didn't suit or work and then after some research i discovered a tablet called colesevalem which my GP was happy to prescribe.
These have helped and improved my condition but not cured me 100 %.

Medical understanding states IBS is often misdiagnosed as Doctors are reluctant to send people for the Nuclear test.

Please understand this is only my humble understanding of my experiences and I could be quite wrong.

Regards
Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Your understanding is way better than mine. I have had the upper endoscopy and colonoscopies many times and an MRA of the abdomen but never the nuclear thing.

The proper term is seHCAT scan but i prefer nuclear test as it sounds more dramatic and if i was a bit cleverer i'd post a link as there's plenty of information on the WWW so if you just google it?

Good luck

Tony

Reactions: Brunneria

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I looked it up and found something a little hard to understand (since wirtten for docs) but interesting mentioning even another test. Have not found the nuclear one yet:

Apologies to you as the nuclear test to which i refer is the seHCAT one as it uses an isotope it is referred to as nuclear.

kindest regards

Tony

MCMAHOS

You do not have to eat sugary carbs on a gluten free diet, I am Coeliac, I do not eat cakes, biscuits etc and I do not like gluten free bread. Just remember that all meat, fish and veg are gluten free until interfered with so cook them yourself and you will be ok. I have just been told that I am pre diabetic , I think the only thing I can do to help myself is more exercise and cut out potatoes

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
hello pinkiepunks mummy you have been through the wars with your allergies.
life does improve once you know the status quo and manage your diet, however strict you have to be. It will be worth it. Keep going.
I have been labelled a Coeliac since losing weight to under the 5stone mark in 1983 and lived on almost nothing at that time. GP didnt know of anything to prescribe I was the first in the area!
Life for coeliacs is very different now thankfully.
However whilst pretty immobolised in 2009 waiting for a replacement knee my weight went up and hey presto I slipped into the diabetic label too. All ok now though feel good and coping well but guess who is taking away the lifelines for people like us.... NHS no more test strips and No basic GF on prescription.
Why?? I,m told because I havent needed a gp appointment and have managed myself!!
Onwards and upwards!

Reactions: Brisbane

Mana1

My husband was diagnosed type 2 2months ago and coeliac all his life but diagnosed 1994 he is currently on lchf diet but is struggling with loose bowls he has a pain then has to run. Not ideal when your walking for 1-2 hrs a day. Can anybody advise please as this is getting him down his has no confidence in going any distance.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband was diagnosed type 2 2months ago and coeliac all his life but diagnosed 1994 he is currently on lchf diet but is struggling with loose bowls he has a pain then has to run. Not ideal when your walking for 1-2 hrs a day. Can anybody advise please as this is getting him down his has no confidence in going any distance.
Is he taking metformin? It can cause gastric distress.

Seewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I enjoyed your knowledge of both ****** (that might almost be a pun) conditions . Knowledge always is best.