Regular moderate exercise log

annepoptart

Welcome to the world of regular moderate exercise! We're a supportive crew here.

(Ignore some of my less moderate exercise exploits - mostly, I'm really quite moderate! I just occasionally succumb to the urge to walk miles and miles.)

Miles and miles? I rarely get THAT urge. :)

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not exercising at the mo thanks to wrecked legs!

But here's a little gem I'm listening to on a loop right now. I flipping LOVE this. I shall be watching the marathon on TV tomorrow, and just this theme music WILL move me to tears.

Inspiration for one day..... (it'll be a while!).

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Woe is me! I normally change socks pretty regularly when I'm out on longer walks (every 8 - 10 miles) but today I let the second pair go longer, and they were a new, lighter weight pair of hiking socks. I have my first blister in nearly 3000 miles of recorded walking. I shall stick to the heavier weight socks for longer walks and keep these ones for shorter ones..

Also, those particular boots were on their last long outing. So, possibly new socks and almost worn out boots were a bad combination. I'm slightly bothered I didn't feel the blister developing and have noted this for my next DSN appointment which is due soon anyway.

Hope your wrecked legs become less wrecked soon, @Snapsy . I used to go to a church in London which had to have an evening service only on Marathon day! I used to love the annual lie in!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh no @Japes - sorry about your blister! That's so frustrating! Hope it heals quickly and as painlessly as possible.

Love the lie-in on marathon day story! I'm going to be wearing my BM10k Finisher t-shirt to our cafe-style service tomorrow so I can show it to my supporters and thank them for helping me to smash my fundraising target - and I shall try not to visibly limp.......!

Then I'm going to hastily hobble home to watch as much of the marathon as I can!

Reactions: Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to get some proper blister plasters on Monday, and will just be very careful until then. I thought I had some, but it's been a while since I last had a blister and possibly had got lulled into a false sense of security. Or I gave them away.

Then, I have new boots awaiting my collecting of them from the sorting office so hopefully all will be well.

I suppose I'd better be good and not walk much tomorrow....

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Compeed plasters are superb for that job! And perhaps tomorrow's a good opportunity to rest your feet - apart perhaps from some gentle organ pedalling.

:)

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've decided i wanted to learn a programming language so i've been "busy" (read: i've been shouting at my computer and frantically crying: "why won't you work"). Might enroll in higher education in september. So working out has been slow but i did remember an old routine i used to do when time was short. Forgot how much i liked it, barely takes 10 minutes and progression is steaming ahead and might come close to my goal in a couple of months if this continues. Currently doing triples with 112,5 kg at a body weight of 72,5 kg. The last pr was 105 kg so that's a pretty good improvement.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Compeed plasters are superb for that job! And perhaps tomorrow's a good opportunity to rest your feet - apart perhaps from some gentle organ pedalling.

:)

I kind of failed to rest my feet as I found Compeed plasters when I detoured to the supermarket after lunch on Sunday. And they are indeed doing their usual superb job. But, I'm sticking to my daily target amounts, rather than being too competitive with myself and Mr Doofer, the pedometer, until the plaster falls off and I've got the new boots worn in a bit. Not that that takes long with these ones. I'm just cautious until I know a pair of new boots/shoes are not going to cause blisters or sore feet.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Took advantage of the rain just about holding off all day to go for a walk along a favourite path which is being closed for the next six months for essential maintenance works to the flood defences, and achieving where I wanted to be with my main walking target of the year thus far bang on date!

I'm not doing quite so well on the other walking target, but I'm not despondent about it as I think when I'm off Main Paid work for six weeks in the summer that'll get caught up with - it happened last year when I was thinking I'd bitten off more than I could chew, as it were.

I really will have a rest day tomorrow! Whilst the blister has healed, and the Compeed plaster fallen off, I can still see when the blister was and I do not want it recurring... and my legs are a little bit achy...

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - going to join this thread to keep myself honest about (moderate) exercise. I'm walking every day - at least 30 minutes on weekdays and at least 60 minutes on Sat and Sunday. I'm fitting it in first thing, before breakfast as I'm busy every evening with school work and the kids activities. I'm actually really enjoying myself as 6.30 at the local park is beautiful at the moment with birdsong. Its a good job I was diagnosed at the start of spring :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I've taken advantage of the rain to stay indoors to pretty much have rest day. It's sunny now, though, so I shall go and pootle around the paths with the litter picker and bin liners. What with having a large secondary school, a primary school, a small university all within five minutes walk of the house AND a very tempting set of ramshackle garages at the back of house which are like a magnet for fly tippers (and other less than legal activities) litter is a definite issue an I occasionally up my step count for the day in a fit of community mindedness.

It scares some of the less than legal activity people away as well... Middle aged woman with litter picker, smile on her face, and neighbours who'd all come running if I yelled... Anyway, that space is too useful to me for adding steps if I'm just short of my target when I get home. (250 per circuit.)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - going to join this thread to keep myself honest about (moderate) exercise. I'm walking every day - at least 30 minutes on weekdays and at least 60 minutes on Sat and Sunday. I'm fitting it in first thing, before breakfast as I'm busy every evening with school work and the kids activities. I'm actually really enjoying myself as 6.30 at the local park is beautiful at the moment with birdsong. Its a good job I was diagnosed at the start of spring :)

Welcome to the thread! We're a nice encouraging lot here.

I started my walking in January 2016 - I totally get starting in spring is more motivating - I'm doing a bit of catch up on my targets as things slipped in February when it was dark and horrible.

Reactions: Polgara

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished my usual 30 minute walk around local park - 20 tiny ducklings brightened the morning :)

Rockman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing to be honest
Shortly I'm going to do some miles on my bike before going to work

Reactions: Polgara

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am now back on track with both my walking targets which is pleasing.

What is even more pleasing is that the hunch I had about my blood sugar levels, especially fasting ones, correlating to the "aerobic" miles I do (my pedometer measures the "continuous brisk walking for more than 10 minutes at a time") rather than the total number of steps is a good hunch and is the most helpful thing I do to keep them under control.

It most helps the days I do at least an hour's walk immediately after my main meal be that middle day or early evening. Miss that walk and my fasting bloods are up.

So, the current plan in the working week is
  • 3000 - 5000 steps by the time I get to work. (Most of which are those aerobic ones!)
  • 10,000 steps by the time I've left work. (But, whilst I move about a lot at work, it's not the aerobic steps my pedometer measures.)
  • Try to get to 7,000 aerobic steps before getting home.
    Get to the target number of steps, both total steps and aerobic steps, in the after main meal walk.
Weekends vary, but Sundays can be the day it All Goes Wrong-ish but I'm not too bothered as Saturday is often Over-Achieving day!

Reactions: therower

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd done an early morning walk of 30-60 minutes every day for nearly 6 weeks - then after a long dry spell - two VERY wet mornings. So swapped my walk today for a swim - enjoyed it so much that I think I will add in a swim every day this week while I'm off work

Blacksaber

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to be extremely fit as a soldier, but that went by the wayside after I left the army, got married and had kids. I just recently got a mountain bike, and am 5 weeks into riding. I have been slowly building up my confidence both with the bike and getting to grips with the diabetes.

I have given myself a couple of nasty hypo's, my blood glucose was up in the high 20's and 30's but now I am on treatment I sit around the 6 to 10 mark at the moment, going down to low 4's after a bike ride. I have one more ride left for this week (this afternoon) and hopefully I am going to hit a total of 50 miles for the week, last week was 36 miles and I have already beaten that.

I struggle though with knowing how much to eat and drink as some of the exercise products have made me feel awful (one drink had a shed load of caffeine which left me gasping for breath), and another energy bar made me hyperglycaemic pushing me up to 18. It seems like I will never understand how to control this rollercoaster!