Guardian Connect Vs. Dexcom G5 (No Pump)

ConejitoAzul

Hi all,

Our T1D child (just over 2 years old) is still in honeymoon, managed via a LCHF/P diet and is not currently on insulin.

We are eligible for a subsidised CGM, but given no current requirement for an insulin pump, which of the 2 systems would you preference:
  1. Dexcom G5
  2. Guardian Connect

Assuming all other things are (relatively) equal, my concerns are centered around:
  1. Ease of application
  2. Sensors staying applied to an active toddler
  3. Connectivity and data insights

Thanks!

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @Engineer88 - It's a tricky one. I found the sensors that go with the Guardian to work as well as the Dexcom G5, and provide similar levels of accuracy, although they are less long lived. There are people who find the Enlites just don't work well for them.

I don't know enough about the Guardian handset and details to compare the usability.

What I'd always suggest in a situation where funding is involved is to ask for a trial of each, as that's going to be the best way to confirm which you will get on best with.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi @GrantGam

It is brilliant!! Perfect to be honest.

People that known me a long time here know I was quite damning anout the freestyle navigator 5 years ago.. I am a no nonsense sort of person who wants minimal gadgetry and interference with living so these are my thoughts:

1.0 so accurate... absolutely brilliant. 90% of time it will be 0.1 or 0.2 out with many times when my levels are level and good that it is absolutely exact to my aviva expert meter.

2.0 the glue on the plaster did irritate me on occasions but it was so easily put right. Just give the sensor room to breathe against skin. They show 2 pictures in manual and one is for relieving itritated skin and one is for clothes catching. Since putting plasters on as in irritated skin and allowing more air. No irritation at all.

3.0 on 3rd sensor now but managed to extend this one... its now day 10 and just as accurate. The technique is purely to get plaster positioned that its easier to peel off and remove.. thats the only difficult bit!!

4.0 wish it had a different sounding alarm for high and lows... that is my only negative.

5.0 It is so much better than libre for accuracy and more places to wear it. Hugely important for me.

6.0 it doesnt take up that much charge from
Iphone leaving the app running.

7.0 It doesnt have to be in your pocket etc, I can leave phone inside bungalow and go out in garden and
It still transmits fine. Albeit I dont see or hear it.

8.0 From this and hospital having access as well
It has enabled us to communicate really, really well. I do have the best team possible though!!
For example it is now obvious that Treaiba whether its day or night does not work well for me. So now I am having to have a 3rd insulin to try..
I could never get such detail to my hospital team before with the Libre.
I asked about the 3rd insulin in October and got told "no". by a stand in consultant. Yesterday my main consultant suggested it. Despite it taking 6 months the CGM in last 3 weeks has allowed my hospital more info at a glance real time whenever they want to check.

For some people this may be a problem if they are not open and honest with their health professionals.
I have absolutely no problem with hospital viewing everything and anything at any time.

I love it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The guardian connect works to iphone. You would want to have unlimited download/data...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It doesnt have to be in your pocket etc, I can leave phone inside bungalow and go out in garden and
It still transmits fine. Albeit I dont see or hear it.
THis is because the transmitter stores up to ten hours of data and then when connection is re-established, uploads it to the Connect app (it does the same thing on the 640G) and I think it's a huge benefit over the Dexcom. I'd fogotten about that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The diff is though, it doesnt say updating data, so it hasnt actually lost signal even if I am outside.
Thats the huge difference for me.
When it has lost signal I feel it does take a while to fibd sensor and catch up but in reality it is less than a minute.

It has never failed me in my gardens or around the home. It has never lost contact. Only a small home so a mansion may be different.

We do also pay for extra boost for signal around the home-so the iphone I guess is tuned in to the extra strong network? I havent got a cluee how it "talks" but it is brilliant.

ConejitoAzul

THis is because the transmitter stores up to ten hours of data and then when connection is re-established, uploads it to the Connect app (it does the same thing on the 640G) and I think it's a huge benefit over the Dexcom. I'd fogotten about that.

Is this to say that the Dexcom G5 does not do the same, i.e. if it is out of range we lose the data?

It is likely with her being 2 years old that we will not have a mobile phone strapped to her all day, but in close proximity in a bag and this could push us towards the Guardian Connect.

Thank you all for the information provided so far!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You do not have to have the mobile strapped to a 2 year old!!
The idea is that the transmitter reads to the parents iphone anywhere. You can set yourself up to get alerts even if she goes to school, friends, babysitting so you can go out....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ie I have given my hospital access to view my data any when they want to.. they could receive all my alerts, lol!! But they have the alerts turned off.

The Rep that came to hospital to train me and the staff as I was the first one to get it said his friend also gets alerts from his iphone just in case.... he had his alerts set up really high compared to me so you can set them up to what levels you want to be alerted at.

For people with children at school if there was a carer at school with an iphone you could allow them to get alerts discreetly.... or up to 5 people could get alerted if levels went outside parameters. The connect allows the "carers" to set up when they want to be alerted as well ie all day and night or specific times.

For example. I have had to set up a regime now to also include insulatard each morning as well as a novorapid correction at 6am and also taking tresiba at night. This started today.
My hospital team can look at how this new regime is working and email me. In fact, I email them the changes that I will try tomorrow. They can access tomorrow to view them. They can also access my live data as well as historical data.

I am also logging everything daily and printing off photos of my screen to go onto my request for continued funding with all my data...

Hope tjis explanation helps.

beefy80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@donnellysdogs I found out about Guardian Connect last week and been reading about it and I have also been considering the Libera device but cost of Libera always put me off. Are you actually paying for your Guardian Connect or is it being funded? I would like to understand the cost differences between the systems if you know.

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Our T1D child (just over 2 years old) is still in honeymoon, managed via a LCHF/P diet and is not currently on insulin.

We are eligible for a subsidised CGM, but given no current requirement for an insulin pump, which of the 2 systems would you preference:
  1. Dexcom G5
  2. Guardian Connect

Assuming all other things are (relatively) equal, my concerns are centered around:
  1. Ease of application
  2. Sensors staying applied to an active toddler
  3. Connectivity and data insights

Thanks!

Hi, I have a 2 year old type 1 dd too.
We have decided to go for the Medtronic connect because of the size and insertion. It's super easy to do on a small child, comes with it's own inserter like you would use for a canular on a pump.
Also the transmitter is almost flat and has curved edges and 4 plasters to stick it down! Almost no chance of pulling it off, believe me, my dd tried!!
But of course what works for one doesn't mean it works for all.
My advice if you can try both out then do so, that way you can make your own minds up.
Hope that helps

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@donnellysdogs I found out about Guardian Connect last week and been reading about it and I have also been considering the Libera device but cost of Libera always put me off. Are you actually paying for your Guardian Connect or is it being funded? I would like to understand the cost differences between the systems if you know.

I have had it funded for 3 months. I am just submitting more evidence this Weds for a further 3 month funding.

It is so accurate its unbelievable. Best place for accuracy is my love handles.
2nd day intoday and readings have been absolutely identical to my meter.

I have managed to extend sensors but only up to an extra 4 days. Total of 10 days but when extending them they have dropped out for the same couple of hours on day 9 and 10 for some reason.... always between 3-5pm.

I am so pleased with it. Medtronic also added on some reports but not been able to get access to them so far, hospital was the same. I will try again tomorrow as I print them off weekly.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Connect does come with 2 stickies per sensor. Put on right and they can be removed to get the transmitter off but its not easy.
Insertion is so, so easy.

agemmell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Connect does come with 2 stickies per sensor. Put on right and they can be removed to get the transmitter off but its not easy.
Insertion is so, so easy.
Hi, I've been thinking of getting the Connect and been looking for anyone using it - you are the first I've found! I'm using the Freestyle Libre which i like, but i really want the connection to my phone and the alerts.

Your review is pretty positive but its expensive. My consultant said the NHS dont fund CGM's - how are you getting it funded?

The G5 is even more expensive and by the looks of it a little bulkier - is the transmitter/sensor as small as it looks?

I'm also a little put off by having to calibrate it every 12 hours and charge it when changing sensors - how do you find this?

After reading your review, I'm now wondering if i can extend them longer than the 6 days and not use as many - could you please explain a little more how you are doing this "The technique is purely to get plaster positioned that its easier to peel off and remove.. thats the only difficult bit!!"

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The transmitter and sensor are tiny.

It is best calibrated up to 4 times a day, minimum of 2 I do it when ever theres no arrows for changes. As I have had to previously test 15 times a day-well 4 is absolutely no bother at all.
To get the best from it you need to add in injections/carbs/notes anyway.

I got funding due to my previous hospital putting in for exceptional circumstances funding request to my CCG. I also wrote a very lengthy detailed report why I am to be considered exceptional.

I am because pumps arent an option due to my body rejecting cannulas, no consultant or myself in 3 hospitals can find away to control blood using conventional insulin treatments, I have one hand to use and 15 tests a day on one hand is ridiculous. My blood results are also impacted by my stomach and colon that is extremely slow.. my request went before a Panel of Drs and a chemist. Took a week. Waiting for my new hospital to arrange and then waiting for the connect was a further 5 montgs from funding being given to me. Only get it for 3 months and it has to be requested by consultant and my evidence everytime.

The transmitter and sensor can be pulled away from each other. The sensor can be left in the skin providing you can get the two bits disconnected from each other.
You are given two over lay plasters to put over the two pieces. Providing you overlay the two pieces well you can tell your phone that its a new sensor.

The transmitter recharge is a max of 2 hours. Its nothing. I'm going to have an op tomorrow. My sensor has to come off incase I need to have an electric saw used on me that can cause heart things and sensors to arc.. so, I have everything with me to put in straight after the op. I'll just whip the sensor and transmitter off pre op. Have op and leave the transmitter charging. Then put it back in when I'm back from the op.

agemmell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for your reply. I have ordered one and going to see how it goes over the next couple of months. I guess when i see it all i can play around with the overlay plasters and understand it more. Good luck with your op.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It is brilliant. It gives such brilliant detail and patterns are so clear.

You wont regret it.

Op went well although had to stay in.