sugar levels after MVA

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was involved in another car accident this week where a learner driver got spooked and did a sudden u turn straight into my path. This time a bit more serious than the 2 I've had since August last year. They found I had myocardial contusion and pericardial effusion... along with whiplash and seatbelt bruising.

I was kept in hospital a couple of days and I did a fair bit of vomiting, etc. My sugar levels every time they tested was 11-12mmol and that's without eating a lot of the time. I think I managed to eat the 2nd day but not much and I bolused too and didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm home now and still getting high readings. I guess it's just from stress and pain. I will have to go for a follow up with my GP.

So will see how I go. But frustrating how MVA's mess everything else up. ugh.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mep, sorry to hear this!

Hope you feel better soon. Must be hellish.

Reactions: Mep

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was involved in another car accident this week where a learner driver got spooked and did a sudden u turn straight into my path. This time a bit more serious than the 2 I've had since August last year. They found I had myocardial contusion and pericardial effusion... along with whiplash and seatbelt bruising.

I was kept in hospital a couple of days and I did a fair bit of vomiting, etc. My sugar levels every time they tested was 11-12mmol and that's without eating a lot of the time. I think I managed to eat the 2nd day but not much and I bolused too and didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm home now and still getting high readings. I guess it's just from stress and pain. I will have to go for a follow up with my GP.

So will see how I go. But frustrating how MVA's mess everything else up. ugh.
I'm pleased your home and ok hun

It will be stress and meds given in hospital and of course interuption to our insulin regime.
Things should settle down after 3 days. If not speak to your dn.

I think you know this already but pain, for me, increased my insulin need.

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
update - I got a call from my insurance assessor today and my car is a write off. They told me to look for a new car asap as they will give me a loan car in the interim. I'm picking up loan car tomorrow and going to go for a test drive at a car dealership tomorrow afternoon. I have a tendency to know what car I want and have always purchased my cars real quick once I've decided. Hopefully I'll have a new car soon.

As for my health, I'm still quite sore and feels like I landed hard on concrete on my butt. I'm having some funny breathing going on at times. I'm seeing my doc mid week so will see what he's going to do about checking if my heart is getting better, etc. I guess I'll have to start physio some time soon as well.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
update - I got a caIl from my insurance assessor today and my car is a write off. They told me to look for a new car asap as they will give me a loan car in the interim. I'm picking up loan car tomorrow and going to go for a test drive at a car dealership tomorrow afternoon. I have a tendency to know what car I want and have always purchased my cars real quick once I've decided. Hopefully I'll have a new car soon.

As for my health, I'm still quite sore and feels like I landed hard on concrete on my butt. I'm having some funny breathing going on at times. I'm seeing my doc mid week so will see what he's going to do about checking if my heart is getting better, etc. I guess I'll have to start physio some time soon as well.
It makes all the difference when you can get back to 'normal'. I'm thinking of your recovery. Give yourself plenty of time to settle down. A speedy insurance cheque is always appreciated. Extra hugs for those tense times.

Reactions: Mep and Struma