Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

pms543

Hellooooo

I have just signed up for the 2 week challenge on DD and note that some of the meals do not have different sides along with the main meat? which is fine but wondered , those who have already done this challenge or similar ( adapted to own needs ) hpow you served yours?

Basically, for evening dinner we would normally have chicken with 2/3 sides...such as carrots/swede, cauli cheese etc

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hellooooo

I have just signed up for the 2 week challenge on DD and note that some of the meals do not have different sides along with the main meat? which is fine but wondered , those who have already done this challenge or similar ( adapted to own needs ) hpow you served yours?

Basically, for evening dinner we would normally have chicken with 2/3 sides...such as carrots/swede, cauli cheese etc
Changing the veg or increasing the veg portions is not an issue so long as you stick to the lower carb versions. I asked this question too as I like a simple salad with food. Salad is not an issue and the generalisation is above ground veg is the lower carb. Diet Doctor does have a section on the carbs in veg. I have to be wary of carrot. I can have some but not a lot.

Reactions: Ultramum and pms543

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I don't find that the DD menu plan gives enough veg either!
So what I usually do is drop the fat content of the meal a little, and replace it with extra low carb veg.
Since I don't measure the amounts, it is all guesswork, but I would prefer to have extra veg, or a side salad instead an extra blob of butter or a spoon of mayo.

In terms of carb amounts, I am still usually well under the 20g carbs a day, but that is probably because I skip breakfast most days and lunch on some days. I often have enough carb capacity to sneak in a square or 3 of 70% solids choc - works for me! :D

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
For the two weeks challenge I stuck to whatever DD said as it is the whole meal including sides that makes the meals ketogenic. Shortage of veg is one of the reasons I chose to change my diet a bit after the two weeks were finished - I still eat very low carb and occasionally use DD recipes but me and Mr C prefer more veg than DD allows.

Above ground veg are okay but root veg like carrots, swede, parsnips, etc are all quite carby.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hellooooo

Well, I keep mine fairly basic.... the meals that "need" sides I tend to have french beans which i use as a filler ( I'm aware they can be a bit carby). I fry them in butter and sometimes add chili flakes. I like that some of the recipes don't really need sides but you can always add some greens etc.

pms543

Thank you all for tips much appreciated

I realise the veg can be carbi so will endeavour when needed to use the Low Carb versions
I particularly like cauliflower mash and cauliflower rice now which helps

Will follow the plan and hopefully it will have a huge impact on my blood sugar reductions and weight loss to give me that much-needed kickstart

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for tips much appreciated

I realise the veg can be carbi so will endeavour when needed to use the Low Carb versions
I particularly like cauliflower mash and cauliflower rice now which helps

Will follow the plan and hopefully it will have a huge impact on my blood sugar reductions and weight loss to give me that much-needed kickstart
Since you're a fan of the cauliflower mash this recipe that @Ultramum found is seriously good. I did it for Sunday dinner. I also used it to bind fish cakes I made and my carb eaters didn't notice.

Reactions: pms543 and Ultramum

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I'm a few days in to the low carb again and have already seen a significant drop in numbers but the main thing I'm noticing is my lack of appetite. Last night I ate dinner because I felt I should but in all honesty I could have skipped it easily ( that's my next plan). I'd had the DD Asian Cabbage stir fry for lunch at 13:00 and still felt full at 18:00. The only side effects so far have been a headache which I countered by drinking a lot of water with sugar free lime. It's all good.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, I'm a few days in to the low carb again and have already seen a significant drop in numbers but the main thing I'm noticing is my lack of appetite. Last night I ate dinner because I felt I should but in all honesty I could have skipped it easily ( that's my next plan). I'd had the DD Asian Cabbage stir fry for lunch at 13:00 and still felt full at 18:00. The only side effects so far have been a headache which I countered by drinking a lot of water with sugar free lime. It's all good.

I found the best way to get over any carb withdrawal symptoms is to have a mug of Bovril. Bovril is good for when you choose to fast as well - it helps with the shivers and shakes I get at about the 20-22 hour mark (something to do with the salt I think).

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My BG isn't liking the warmer weather, my FBG is bit higher each morning. Last weekend it was in the mid 5s - Monday it was 5.9, yesterday was 6.3 and today it was 6.8. Luckily breakfast stops it going any higher. I've learned my lesson about eating evening snacks after dinner so the only thing that's different is the weather getting warmer making it difficult to sleep. Anyone else getting this problem?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Changing the veg or increasing the veg portions is not an issue so long as you stick to the lower carb versions. I asked this question too as I like a simple salad with food. Salad is not an issue and the generalisation is above ground veg is the lower carb. Diet Doctor does have a section on the carbs in veg. I have to be wary of carrot. I can have some but not a lot.
Diet Doctor does tell you if you're not hungry don't eat. To be honest with Crackslaw for lunch I'm not surprised you were not hungry - it really fills you up and lasts ages. I was the same and when I eventually did get hungry I just had a salad of lettuce, tomato etc. Trouble is that then gets you out of sync on the 2 week challenge.
As @Chook says have a bouillon drink. I'm not keen on bovril so I use Marigold Swiss vegetable bouillon powder which most supermarkets have.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diet Doctor does tell you if you're not hungry don't eat. To be honest with Crackslaw for lunch I'm not surprised you were not hungry - it really fills you up and lasts ages. I was the same and when I eventually did get hungry I just had a salad of lettuce, tomato etc. Trouble is that then gets you out of sync on the 2 week challenge.
As @Chook says have a bouillon drink. I'm not keen on bovril so I use Marigold Swiss vegetable bouillon powder which most supermarkets have.
Don't know how I replied to myself as this was meant for @seanj67..

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG isn't liking the warmer weather, my FBG is bit higher each morning. Last weekend it was in the mid 5s - Monday it was 5.9, yesterday was 6.3 and today it was 6.8. Luckily breakfast stops it going any higher. I've learned my lesson about eating evening snacks after dinner so the only thing that's different is the weather getting warmer making it difficult to sleep. Anyone else getting this problem?
I'm having problems getting to sleep but I still think it is the tail end of that bug. I've been kicking about in the 6's anyway so I'm probably not a good lab rat

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not slept well for months but I've been taking Sominex tablets and that's worked well, I sleep until about 6am now which is great.

pms543

pms543

For the two weeks challenge I stuck to whatever DD said as it is the whole meal including sides that makes the meals ketogenic. Shortage of veg is one of the reasons I chose to change my diet a bit after the two weeks were finished - I still eat very low carb and occasionally use DD recipes but me and Mr C prefer more veg than DD allows.

Above ground veg are okay but root veg like carrots, swede, parsnips, etc are all quite carby.

Have decided that today is the day I will begin my DD eating regime... I have read and re read and therres no time like the present!

I like what I read on here actually ( poss yesterday ) Brunneria was answering someone's message and stated to address the lowering of BGs first and not worry over the weight issue, and somehow that has resonated with me.

My BG is fluctuating from lower end of the teens to acceptable figures because am eating what I like ( not to my meter) which is def BAD!

Am currently on several medications and the DN added insulin a few months ago to help as the prenisalone causing my BG to rise so I am aware eating rubbish is not helping either...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pms543
Am very impressed :) and I really hope it works for you. Being on steroids will make the whole experience very different for you than it is for me, and I have no idea whether it will reduce your blood glucose as much as you want, because steroids make the whole situation so different. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the food. I find it delicious! :) And if you are Gluten Free, then the recipes have basically done all the work for you, which makes it much easier.

I really hope it helps with blood glucose AND weight. :D