Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

pms543

@pms543
Am very impressed :) and I really hope it works for you. Being on steroids will make the whole experience very different for you than it is for me, and I have no idea whether it will reduce your blood glucose as much as you want, because steroids make the whole situation so different. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the food. I find it delicious! :) And if you are Gluten Free, then the recipes have basically done all the work for you, which makes it much easier.

I really hope it helps with blood glucose AND weight. :D

Thankyou!!

I know!! The steroids mess up so much......

I love the fact it's gluten free too so should be helpful in not having to plan further lol

Reactions: Chook and Brunneria

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@pms543 Welcome to the thread and good luck with the DD two week programme.

I'm sure you already realise this but do go carefully with radically reducing carbs while you are injecting insulin. I have done this and no longer need to inject insulin but I did it very slowly and carefully - just reduced carbs (and insulin) a small amount every day being careful to monitor my BG a lot and being prepared for possible hypos. :) Are you carb counting with your insulin?

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG isn't liking the warmer weather, my FBG is bit higher each morning. Last weekend it was in the mid 5s - Monday it was 5.9, yesterday was 6.3 and today it was 6.8. Luckily breakfast stops it going any higher. I've learned my lesson about eating evening snacks after dinner so the only thing that's different is the weather getting warmer making it difficult to sleep. Anyone else getting this problem?

Not been sleeping well due to warmth - no noticeable effect on BG but it's all over the shop at the moment anyway ...

pms543

@pms543 Welcome to the thread and good luck with the DD two week programme.

I'm sure you already realise this but do go carefully with radically reducing carbs while you are injecting insulin. I have done this and no longer need to inject insulin but I did it very slowly and carefully - just reduced carbs (and insulin) a small amount every day being careful to monitor my BG a lot and being prepared for possible hypos. :) Are you carb counting with your insulin?

Thanks Chook - I do test test test at present and tbh wont decrease anything without my DN knowing / advising...my diet intake has been abysmal so am thinking a week or two before noticeable drop in bg's anyhow?

During , which time I will slowly decrease the carb intake to 30 - 50g a day ( possibly. Am more concerned with getting ther bg under control

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So..... yesterday morning my BG at 2 hours after breakfast was 6.4 (okay-ish). I then went to do a bit of eBaying and emailing and noticed a funny smell in the room that I have my PC in .... tracked it down to smoke coming out of the PC. Panicked (like you do) then being British switched everything off and went downstairs for a calming cup of tea. Tested BG and it was up to 13.4!!! The tea did its work and within an hour BG was back down to 6.3.

Used my phone to order a new 'puter.

2 hours after breakfast today my BG was 5.8. New 'puter arrived, plugged it and attached screen, speakers, camera thingy, mouse, keyboard, etc, etc from old computer - switched it on - and..... it didn't work. Panicked. Went downstairs for a nice cup of tea - took BG and it was up to 12.7. After the cup of tea I tried turning on new 'puter BEFORE plugging in all the bits - then plugged them in and (woohoooo) it works. BG went back down to 5.2.

Isn't it amazing what stress can do to our BG.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Chook - I do test test test at present and tbh wont decrease anything without my DN knowing / advising...my diet intake has been abysmal so am thinking a week or two before noticeable drop in bg's anyhow?

During , which time I will slowly decrease the carb intake to 30 - 50g a day ( possibly. Am more concerned with getting ther bg under control

You might find your DN isn't keen on the idea of you eating a reduced carb diet. Mine certainly wasn't and neither was my GP - but the way I see it, it will be me that suffers diabetes complications not them.

Yes, I agree that getting BG under control is more important than losing weight. I found it all happened a good bit quicker than two weeks mainly because, by then, I'd worked out what was causing the problem (carbs) and couldn't bring myself to eat any of the major ones (even pizza). I controlled my BG reduction using fruit - basically eating very low carb with fruit and slowly reducing the amount of fruit. Not that I'm suggesting that fruit is a particularly healthy thing to eat but it was easy to measure, spread throughout the day and slowly reduce.

If you need support or advice just ask and someone (or all of us) will do our best to help . :)

Reactions: Ultramum and pms543

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not been sleeping well due to warmth - no noticeable effect on BG but it's all over the shop at the moment anyway ...

Mr C got the air conditioning thingy out of the garage yesterday. Its ancient and makes a dreadful rumbling noise, but we both slept like babies and got a shock when my phone alarm went off at 8.30. I think the coolness helped but also the noise from the a/c thingy muffled any noise from out in the road and/or our dogs.

pms543

You might find your DN isn't keen on the idea of you eating a reduced carb diet. Mine certainly wasn't and neither was my GP - but the way I see it, it will be me that suffers diabetes complications not them.

Yes, I agree that getting BG under control is more important than losing weight. I found it all happened a good bit quicker than two weeks mainly because, by then, I'd worked out what was causing the problem (carbs) and couldn't bring myself to eat any of the major ones (even pizza). I controlled my BG reduction using fruit - basically eating very low carb with fruit and slowly reducing the amount of fruit. Not that I'm suggesting that fruit is a particularly healthy thing to eat but it was easy to measure, spread throughout the day and slowly reduce.

If you need support or advice just ask and someone (or all of us) will do our best to help . :)

Thanks for the tip chook

Don't think I know what am doing now!tbh I have forgot twice today to do bloods!!!! Eek

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't worry about it.... I've got quite a few gaps in mine.

At the beginning its the general trend you are looking at - don't fret about the specific numbers first off. Just aim for a slow and steady downwards trend.

Can I suggest that you keep a food and BG diary combined - at least for the first few weeks - that way you'll see what foods spike you (spike you=make your BG go up) and which you don't have a problem with. Its a nuisance at first but you'll find it really helpful and it gets to be a habit.

For instance, mushrooms are low carb - everyone else can eat them by the tonne - but my BG goes up when I've had them. Had I not been keeping a food diary I would probably have blamed something else in that meal for the spike but I knew the only 'new' thing in that meal had been the mushrooms. So now I know to keep my mushroom consumption low or have them with a meal that doesn't have any other carbs. Me 'n' @Brunneria both think that I've got an intolerance to mushrooms because, as I said, most other people can eat lots of them with no problem at all.

Reactions: maglil55

pms543

I hear you Chook!
So will endeavour to keep diary combining both
Food eaten today has been more or less what's in fridge needing eating so bfast was scrambled eggs and a bullet coffee ( half actually)
Lunch was a cheese ham and coleslaw salad
But
Then had a call for an urgent liver scan tomorrow and dived into some chewy sweets!!!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By The way have any of you tried the chia seed porridge on DD?

I haven't tried the DD recipe, but I have used chia seeds in porridge, puddings and even salads - as far as I can tell, they have negligible effect on my blood glucose. :D

Reactions: pms543

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hear you Chook!
So will endeavour to keep diary combining both
Food eaten today has been more or less what's in fridge needing eating so bfast was scrambled eggs and a bullet coffee ( half actually)
Lunch was a cheese ham and coleslaw salad
But
Then had a call for an urgent liver scan tomorrow and dived into some chewy sweets!!!!
My Fitness Pal is a decent App for recording food/weight etc. Not perfect as a lot of the entries are made by individuàls and can be a bit dodgy but on the whole reasonably easy. It also 'moans' at you if you are less than 1000 calories as they are scared of encouraging anorexia.
Can I just also say I agree with everything @Chook has said. You will probably find your BG will drop quickly. The 2 week challenge you are on 20g of carbs or less a day. Particularly with insulin you are going to have to keep a close eye on your numbers. As @Chook said she got off it. In my case I had a couple of bad spikes pre Christmas - ùp to around 19 which the doctor reckoned was stress related. It took around 1 week of Diet Doctor to get much better figures - single digits.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mr C got the air conditioning thingy out of the garage yesterday. Its ancient and makes a dreadful rumbling noise, but we both slept like babies and got a shock when my phone alarm went off at 8.30. I think the coolness helped but also the noise from the a/c thingy muffled any noise from out in the road and/or our dogs.
We had an aircon unit put in the bedroom 10 years ago - best investment ever - not cheap but so good. It ran for four hours before bedtime yesterday and I banged it on again in the middle of the night too

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We had an aircon unit put in the bedroom 10 years ago - best investment ever - not cheap but so good. It ran for four hours before bedtime yesterday and I banged it on again in the middle of the night too

Definitely worth the investment (not that it cost much - we bought it one very cold January morning on a huge discount - after all what idiot would buy a/c on such a cold day..... )

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,

well this morning I tested as soon as I got up and saw 6.1 on my meter - I'll take that. This is still early days back on LC/DD but it's clearly working. I have been quite strict this first week and have used the DD Keto recipes so I think my carbs have been very low. I did have a wobble yesterday walking around Asda but just visualised where I wanted to be, and kept walking past the things I like ( but don't like me). Last night I cooked the DD pesto chicken casserole, and was surprised how little of it I ate.... my appetite has really dropped off and I find a little food does the trick.

So, onwards into week 2.....

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,

well this morning I tested as soon as I got up and saw 6.1 on my meter - I'll take that. This is still early days back on LC/DD but it's clearly working. I have been quite strict this first week and have used the DD Keto recipes so I think my carbs have been very low. I did have a wobble yesterday walking around Asda but just visualised where I wanted to be, and kept walking past the things I like ( but don't like me). Last night I cooked the DD pesto chicken casserole, and was surprised how little of it I ate.... my appetite has really dropped off and I find a little food does the trick.

So, onwards into week 2.....
The keto recipes are 20g or less daily seanj67. To be honest they are so tasty I certainly don't notice and eventually you get used to the carbs not being there.
The one thing I do get a longing for occasionally is a Scotch Pie from Morrison's Bakery - usually on a Saturday when I've been at swimming with the grandsons, out shopping and they are freshly made.
(@Chook - think I will have to make these Fathead dogs now )

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting more normal again. Bed 7.2 FBG was 6.3 and pre breakfast was 7.3. Had a cooked breakfast as aqua beckons. No idea what we will have tonight - it is soooo hot. Not complaining though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yesterday was supposed to be the sausage and roasted med veg thing, but it all went pearshaped.

A friend popped round early evening and was invited to stay for dinner, but they had already eaten. So we waited til they had left before cooking. Which was a mistake, because by that time I was near chewing my right arm off, and ended up taking the easy option - sausage baked in oven, with scram eggs. Enjoyed it, but it meant no veg at all yesterday, since I had skipped breakfast AND lunch, as I often do.

Will be better organised today! lol