GP Referral Scheme - my last hope!

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I start my GP Referral Scheme this evening for 12 weeks in the hope that I will lose weight and change my lifestyle. I have tried everything under the sun to lose weight without success so this is my last hope and I feel that this time I WILL make it work.

Has anyone else changed their lifestyle through a GP Referral Scheme?

I need to do this after 8 years of being diagnosed a T2 diabetic. I have lots of other health issues including fatty liver so it is imperative I have results in the next 12 weeks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no experience of this scheme. Can you tell us more about it - what do you do at the classes? From what I can gather it is exercise based.

Reactions: dbr10 and carina62

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you eating low carb? I tried every other diet types and several clubs, nothing, nothing nothing worked until I did low carb as per Atkins, though I had worked out that I was sensitive to carbs long before that.

Reactions: dbr10 and carina62

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have no experience of this scheme. Can you tell us more about it - what do you do at the classes? From what I can gather it is exercise based.

Well I just went along to see my GP one day and basically told him the truth, that I have tried everything to lose weight, all kinds of diets, SW, WW - the lot and that I was at the end of my tether and then he suggested going via the GP Referral Scheme. I will have to go to the gym (which isn't a problem as I used to go to the gym a lot but even then wasn't losing weight) and will get dietary advice too. I don't need to pay for the 12 weeks but after that I'm on my own and will have to carry on myself and start paying. Try it, go and ask your GP, not sure if all surgeries do this though.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are you eating low carb? I tried every other diet types and several clubs, nothing, nothing nothing worked until I did low carb as per Atkins, though I had worked out that I was sensitive to carbs long before that.

Yes, I am low carbing so combined with my gym excercises I am hoping it works - will keep you all posted.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I just went along to see my GP one day and basically told him the truth, that I have tried everything to lose weight, all kinds of diets, SW, WW - the lot and that I was at the end of my tether and then he suggested going via the GP Referral Scheme. I will have to go to the gym (which isn't a problem as I used to go to the gym a lot but even then wasn't losing weight) and will get dietary advice too. I don't need to pay for the 12 weeks but after that I'm on my own and will have to carry on myself and start paying. Try it, go and ask your GP, not sure if all surgeries do this though.

I do hope it works for you, but do be careful of any dietary advice, which is likely to be eat carbs. No harm in trying as it is free. Thanks for the advice to try it myself - I will pass on that one. Low carb did it all for me during 2014 and has kept me slim ever since. ;) Let us know how you go on.

Reactions: carina62 and zand

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My Gp surgery used to refer patients to the gym, was free for first sessions then people would have to pay. This was about 10 years ago and I did go. But when I found out the true cost at the leisure centre and the bus fares on top of that, I stopped as unable to afford it. Also the surgery used to issue patients with a 12 week pass for slimming world. Again I tried this but after that it cost a fiver a week. I ended up putting weight on so saw no point going and paying every week to put weight on.
So I cut out certain things myself and with the help of people here, I know what I can and can,t eat

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The referral scheme is the same as going private and getting bariatric surgery. They follow the exact same protocol

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Carina, you haven't made it clear what you've been referred for. My GP offers referrals to Weight Watchers, Slimming World, gym membership, dieticians, walking groups etc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cigarette smoking and consumption of alcohol.
I start my GP Referral Scheme this evening for 12 weeks in the hope that I will lose weight and change my lifestyle. I have tried everything under the sun to lose weight without success so this is my last hope and I feel that this time I WILL make it work.

I need to do this after 8 years of being diagnosed a T2 diabetic. I have lots of other health issues including fatty liver so it is imperative I have results in the next 12 weeks.

A weight-control strategy might include:--
  • Choosing low-fat, low-calorie foods
  • Eating smaller portions
  • Drinking water instead of sugary drinks
  • Being physically active

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

When I was Chair of a PPG, I persuaded GPs and gym to set up a referral scheme. I drew up contract, they signed and set it in mmotion.

Its going really well and the best person so far lost 4 stone in one year.

They then set up an armchair refferal scheme (I left area by that time)..-and the PPG for persons that were less mobile. This is also going from strength to strength.

The gym chap then set up a boot camp each Sunday morning. This too has gone from strength to strength.

I loved the referral scheme as ours gave 1 to 1 personal training for two hours each week for 12 weeks.

I was so glad that I helped set it up and it is growing from strength to strength.

In fact some people are now doing the three peak challenge and this past weekend the group have raised money for cancer research.

Go for it... its down to the patient... so many are referred but never bother...