Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It's OK: similar taste and texture to Lidl protein rolls, but without the crust and in a loaf shape, so easier to make conventional sandwiches. Carbs are 3.8g per slice (1.7g net) with no noticeable impact on my BG.

Only Waitrose and Morrisons seem to stock it though.

6e22054745f72538b27c45daa6d76396.jpg
Is it seriously called Lowlife? Are you being a rascal? If it is wee loaf with the bright pink wrapper from Waitrose, I've tried it and it was very nice :D

I got to try the Hi-Lo loaf last week from Sainsburys and it was my favourite yet (apart from Lidl rolls obviously!)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I haven't either Jan, but the wife love to do all that kinda thing .. if you roll the courgette lattice with a filling of ricotta cheese and spinach then you can make a wonderful cannelloni .. when you coming over for lunch ?
A guy on Masterchef last week wove carrot ribbons into a lattice. I made a courgette lasagne once, but instead of knitting the courgette ribbons, I used big discs of marrow. I think this might be cheating :oops:

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Is it seriously called Lowlife? Are you being a rascal? If it is wee loaf with the bright pink wrapper from Waitrose, I've tried it and it was very nice :D

I got to try the Hi-Lo loaf last week from Sainsburys and it was my favourite yet (apart from Lidl rolls obviously!)

Ok, technically, it may be named "Livlife" if you look at the packaging carefully, but I think my name is better :)

Reactions: Sable_Jan

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
@Enclave

Initially, I thought you wove your courgette "lasagne sheets" into a lattice for attractiveness, but then I wondered if you have to do this in order to keep the layers separate. I.e. If I just layer strips of courgettes (amongst my tomato, bechamel and other fillings) would I end up with a stew, rather than a lasagne?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Ledzeptt When I used the big marrow discs, they were good at keeping the layers apart, but it still ended up as mush when it was cooked. Courgettes are too watery I reckon. Best way I have found so far is to roast the courgettes in a griddle pan then layer up the layers right before eating it. Call it deconstructed or something.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I had the classic "red stuff n mash" tonight.

Veg, mixed beans and chopped up Linda Mac sausages in a herby tomato sauce with cauli mash and grated Violife.

28aucm8.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Avocado Sevenfold

I can imagine.

Those butternut squash slices @Sable_Jan found are probably better: more likely to stay firm and keep the layers apart.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ledzeptt When I used the big marrow discs, they were good at keeping the layers apart, but it still ended up as mush when it was cooked. Courgettes are too watery I reckon. Best way I have found so far is to roast the courgettes in a griddle pan then layer up the layers right before eating it. Call it deconstructed or something.
The wife slices the courgettes and weaves them .. leaves them on kitchen paper to dry before covering in clingfilm and putting into the fridge for a few hours.Then when she is ready for them just layers them in the cheese and veg mix .. pops in the oven for about half an hour. The courgettes are cooked & firm, deff not wet or soggy

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I had the best curry ever last night! Mushroom and cashew from "The Hug and Pint." My daughter picked it up as a takeaway. It comes with rice, but when she asked for no rice, they added more curry. Yaay!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Avocado Sevenfold "Hug & Pint" great name for a pub and good that they gave you extra curry.

Yesterday:

B: Croissant & latte

L: Tofu sausage sandwich

D: Cheese & mushroom omelette & salad

Not a huge amount, but more than I've been able to eat recently.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Avocado Sevenfold "Hug & Pint" great name for a pub and good that they gave you extra curry.

Yesterday:

B: Croissant & latte

L: Tofu sausage sandwich

D: Cheese & mushroom omelette & salad

Not a huge amount, but more than I've been able to eat recently.

The blurb for their website says, - Inspired by Arab Strap’s “Monday at the Hug and Pint”, our aim is to provide “The Friendliest Atmosphere in Scotland". The band gave us their blessing to open our version of The Hug and Pint – with Aidan even designing our logo. :)

I might just steal one of your sausage sandwiches. My daughter wants a BBQ this evening, but it is too hot outside for me :dead:

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: Low carb toast

L: Omelette & salad

D: Bean casserole

Snack: Mango, pineapple etc smoothie

We're getting the benefit of a free music festival at present as we have all the windows open and "Strummerfest" is down the road. Unfortunately, in the best traditions of punk, no one seems able to sing or play their instruments -> 3 days of this! I've become my Dad ☹️

S

Sable_Jan

Greek yoghurt with muesli
Veg soup, homemade
Naughty bounty (the twin pack )
Thinking maybe fritatta of some description.....for tea.....or cheesy scrambled with slice of toast....or maybe homemade ready meal...decisions, decisions

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: egg on toast

L: Pasta with lentil & cheese bake

D: Walnut & hazelnut roast, roast potatoes etc

Family staying, so awkward to low carb today. (Easier for me as I can boost my insulin.)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Today was yesterday's leftovers.

This week will be mainly pea soup as we have gallons of it. Stole the recipe from Dr Mosley's forum :jimlad: Peas, leeks, spinach and mint. Very nice. Will test for it properly tomorrow. Fingers crossed it is not spikey as it is so tasty.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Avocado Sevenfold

I bet your soup is fine for spikes. When I've made pea and leak, it's worked out to be about 10g carbs for a large bowl, but half was fibre.

Perhaps you can slow any spike by adding some (Alpro type) cream.

Sounds nice with the spinach and mint.

S

Sable_Jan

Today was yesterday's leftovers.

This week will be mainly pea soup as we have gallons of it. Stole the recipe from Dr Mosley's forum :jimlad: Peas, leeks, spinach and mint. Very nice. Will test for it properly tomorrow. Fingers crossed it is not spikey as it is so tasty.
I freeze some when I've got loads.....homemade ready meals....

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold