Life with Libre

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh and I don't sleep on it - bad back which means I can't turn without waking up as my spine is busy fusing itself and a CPAP mask mean I am absolutely sure of that and as it was so hot last night - no covers.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not sure about exfoliating. The concept is sound (remove flakey skin), but the strength of exfoliants varies wildly, and it can cause more skin to peel than usual by damaging healthy layers.

For the record, all I do is shave and wash with soap/water then allow to dry fully.

No alcohol, no exfoliate, no tape/covering.

Not saying any of this would've helped. (shaving is the most useful, regardless of how fine your hair is)

@BeccyB - that graph looks like its cutting in/out at times, so quickly switching between high and low . What were the correct readings at these times? Which part of your arm is it on? And would you say you have average, smaller, or larger arms than most? I do wonder if they should offer different needle lengths for different physiology, or if hitting a blood vessel could affect the sensor.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just out of interest, although the graph is doing crazy stuff, are those crazy numbers also showing up in the history tab, the one which just lists the number every five minutes? If they're crazy as well, then not good, but if they're different, might just be a software error with the graph?

They were in the History too. I'd messed up earlier and my blood was really in the 20s :banghead: so I'm now wondering if it just couldn't cope with such high levels - I don't really want to test the theory again though!

Like you I will stick with it for a while and just not base any treatment decisions on it. It seems to be getting the direction of travel right so that alone is handy to be able to glance over at my phone on my desk

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@BeccyB - that graph looks like its cutting in/out at times, so quickly switching between high and low . What were the correct readings at these times? Which part of your arm is it on? And would you say you have average, smaller, or larger arms than most? I do wonder if they should offer different needle lengths for different physiology, or if hitting a blood vessel could affect the sensor.

Those results were only reported by the BluCon - the Libre scanner itself was fine so it wasn't a problem with the actual sensor.

Interesting idea about needle lengths, although I would hope they tested it on different 'types' of arms it might well be a factor for some people

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah it seems like the kind of thing they'd have examined, but the needle does seem quite long. I could easily imagine some people hitting muscle. Not sure if that actually affects results, but I bet it'd at least be a little painful

My sensor started behaving itself, in fact it's super-accurate now... within 0.1mmol/L. hopefully it keeps going!

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ahh the pitfalls of new technology...
"Been busy, better do a scan... 2.5. ****! The bloody thing worked for one day and now it's gone back to reading low by 2mmol/L!! Better take a blood test so I have more data when I call Abbott to try and get a replacement tomorrow"

...blood test: 2.9mmol/L
Oops ******!

Well, the good news is the sensor is working.

FoxyRoxy

Dislikes
Ipswich Town, having diabetes and bipolar, intolerance, the Daily Mail, Twitter, bad music
I had odd readings where is was out by that amount and more but most of the time it is only out by 3 or 4mg which I can live with.
Things I've discovered with it is to apply it but give it time to settle before you activate it. The current sensor I gave it a day and still had a doo lally day on activation. The current one runs out in 5 days so its replacement will go on in 3 days to give it 2 days to settle.
I still do finger pricks. Main ones are before sleep and FBG in the morning to give me a marker for overnight. Only other time I check is if the Libre gives out a really weird reading during the day. I tend to be pretty stable apart apart from dawn phenomenon so I know when I get a weird reading. From what I can glean it does do this every so often.
I do odd check readings as well. I discovered that finger prick then scan 15 mins later gives a good idea where you are.
I also have the sensor covered with Tegaderm clear film. This keeps it dry during showers, swimming , aqua fit etc. During activities in the pool I also put a stretchy tubular bandage over it to stop it moving about.
I've had the Tegaderm film on over a week now and it hasn't budged. I also have Opsite but found Tegaderm less fiddly. Amazon have it but Boots dispensary is a lot less expensive.
Although I get odd weird scans it usually tends to be accurate in the direction my BG is going. I felt the same as you at first i.e what use is something that isn't accurate but I found it does settle and you do get a feel for it. I'll see if giving it a 2 day rest helps.
If your sensor stays way out it may be a dodgy sensor and Abbott will replace duds.

Hi

Could you please let me know which Tegaderm product you use to cover your sensor?

Thanks
Debs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Could you please let me know which Tegaderm product you use to cover your sensor?

Thanks
Debs
Meant to say if you are using it to protect the Libre in a pool make sure you apply the Tegaderm at least a day in advance to give it a chance to stick well. I've applied it on the day and the humidity lifts it.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Like you I will stick with it for a while and just not base any treatment decisions on it.

Well, I thought I'd give it another go seeing as they'd done another app update to v2.1.5, so have been wearing it for the last three or four days and it's certainly tightened up a lot, been reasonably consistent with the meter apart from a few outliers, so looks like the bugfix updates might be making a difference.

The sensor was due to expire early this morning, and, sure enough, the app started counting down, but when it reached zero, it then changed to tell me I had 2.9 million days left! For a while I was thinking, hmm, maybe this is a bit like Glimp and I'll get more than 14 days out of it, and, sure enough, it carried on reading (and did well against the meter) and I was wondering how many days will it carry on for, but, duh, it then changed to sensor expired after about 12 hours. Still, it was quite exciting thinking I was going to beat the system, and can now say I got 14 days and 12 hours out of a sensor.

Will post the screen shot as those 2.9 million days made me laugh!

Screenshot_2017-06-22-19-46-46.png

Reactions: Ledzeptt and BeccyB

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is that update for the reader? Or the app?
Cool that you got extra time, clock must've skipped a beat or something
Have found a few blog posts about reverse engineering the reader, but not sure I want to mess with it.
Besides, I imagine once the glue starts to fail, infection could become more of a risk. I'm in the lucky position where I can afford it, for now.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few more days and my first sensor will end...it has been interesting. Will post up some observation when it ends. So far it has been within 0.5 mmol when matched against Accuchek Performa, Contour Next or Contour Next Link.

upload_2017-6-23_11-48-32.png

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is that update for the reader? Or the app?
Cool that you got extra time, clock must've skipped a beat or something
Have found a few blog posts about reverse engineering the reader, but not sure I want to mess with it.
Besides, I imagine once the glue starts to fail, infection could become more of a risk. I'm in the lucky position where I can afford it, for now.
Update for the linkblucon app.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've asked Abbott if they are planning any enhancements to the reader and the Android App. I'm actually on my 3rd attempt as they don't seem to read the questions properly.
So far they have said they won't comment on the Nightrider except to say it could mess with the sensor and they won't replace it if it does. (Not what I asked - I asked if there were any plans to enhance the reader so that it received for example, 5 min readings like the Nightrider)
I've also been told a software company is working on an iOS version of the App for iPhone (again not what I asked. I asked if they planned to enhance the existing Android App so that it at least receives 15 min readings like the reader).
3rd time lucky! At least they have been reasonably quick at coming back with answers I don't want.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've asked Abbott if they are planning any enhancements to the reader and the Android App. I'm actually on my 3rd attempt as they don't seem to read the questions properly.
So far they have said they won't comment on the Nightrider except to say it could mess with the sensor and they won't replace it if it does. (Not what I asked - I asked if there were any plans to enhance the reader so that it received for example, 5 min readings like the Nightrider)
I've also been told a software company is working on an iOS version of the App for iPhone (again not what I asked. I asked if they planned to enhance the existing Android App so that it at least receives 15 min readings like the reader).
3rd time lucky! At least they have been reasonably quick at coming back with answers I don't want.
Finally got an answer from Abbott.

1) Enhancing the Reader - they are taking my "suggestion" to enhance the 15 min capture to 5 mins forward to their Management System to be considered by Abbott Quality Control as an improvement/enhancement to the system.
So nothing as yet but at least they are going to think about it.

2) Android App - they don't deal with the App. The 3rd party looks at periodic enhancements and they only get involved when it is put to them.
I suspect if they do look at enhancing the Reader they won't want the App to be identical as that could hit sales of the Reader (or am I being cynical)

And of course I accidentally found out that they have a 3rd party working on an iPhone version of the App.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I guess Abbott probably only care if it's "good enough" (which it just is, mostly). Improvement won't get us to buy more than 1 sensor per 2 weeks. I do imagine they'll get better at pre-calibration though, unless the variables responsible are human and can't be controlled.

My 2nd sensor is coming to an end - it wasn't great, settled at about 1mmol under actual bgl's. Didn't bother returning it as it was consistently off rather than unpredictable.

I'm getting interested in the blucon... I guess the novelty of Libre is over. I might just buy a compatible phone instead though and start toying with that.