IMG_3118.JPG

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Woman's World have several articles which speak about similar topics. Some might have an element of truth which might be backed up by the observations by some people. For most of us the truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter what you do with carbs, cook it twice, eat it cold, low GI, whatever, there will be a noticeable change in BG.

Reactions: dbr10

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In my experience carbs are carbs, they are all baddies!

But for some portion size is more important than how you cook or eat them!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Which is best a relatively short lived spike where BG raises to point and falls back to normal in a short time or a rise to that point over a longer period and a longer time to recover to normal levels?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always prefer lower and slower. I don't like any fast or large ups and downs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Which is best a relatively short lived spike where BG raises to point and falls back to normal in a short time or a rise to that point over a longer period and a longer time to recover to normal levels?

It's the area under the curve that matters most.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
neither? or do you mean which is less harmful?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That whole Resistant Starch Thing seems to work much better for some of us than for others.
Inevitably i am in the group where it doesn't make the slightest difference.

So i suggest that everyone does some very careful self testing before they let rip with potato and pasta salad.
I can remember someone once posting that toast was the perfect resistant starch food - baked as bread, cooled, then reheated as toast, then cooled again on the plate.
Yeah, right. Dream on.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
neither? or do you mean which is less harmful?

I mean as a comparison between two scenarios which of the two would be preferred as with consuming carbs you are going in all probability to get one or the other And yes which would do the less harm

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean as a comparison between two scenarios which of the two would be preferred as with consuming carbs you are going in all probability to get one or the other And yes which would do the less harm

The one with the biggest area under the curve is likely to have more glucose.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's the same point, higher for longer has to be worse. More particularly for us to consider is what happens in the body if you compare a short peak and a reasonably rapid fall back, with a shallower peak which takes longer to fall back to normal - in a situation where the area under both curves was the same. Are we equally screwed in either senerio?
As already mentioned by @Bluetit1802

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just glad someone agrees with me. :)
I agree with you on LOADS of things.
That whole Resistant Starch Thing seems to work much better for some of us than for others.
Inevitably i am in the group where it doesn't make the slightest difference.

So i suggest that everyone does some very careful self testing before they let rip with potato and pasta salad.
I can remember someone once posting that toast was the perfect resistant starch food - baked as bread, cooled, then reheated as toast, then cooled again on the plate.
Yeah, right. Dream on.
Wouldn't that just be awesome!!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Breaking news: eating less (fewer?) carbs results in lower blood glucose levels!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Soon after I first joined the forum I remember seeing a post from someone about an example their their doctor gave regarding this: look at graph of your glucose levels, and imagine this as a kinked piece of string which is then stretched out flat - this way strings with longish lower spikes are likely to be "shorter" in length than those with short sharp high ones, so overall they're liable to have less impact This made sense to me so is what I tend to work with -for what it's worth!:wideyed:

Robbity