DAFNE

gemma2530

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been T1 for 13 years and it has never been under control, mostly high over 15mmol. has anyone done the DAFNE course and could give me some information about it please e.g how long the course is etc... I have been thinking about it and if I should try it to see if I can benefit from undertaking the course, but worry abut doing it as I suffer with depression and rarely leave the house. I recently read online that the course is 9-5 Monday to Friday and would like to know if this is true. Thank you in advance for your replies.

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes the course is 9-5 Monday to Friday but it is the best thing a diabetic could do the course is 100% worth it I was agoraphobic then I went on the course but I pushed to go on it and I am so glad I did

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went 2 weeks ago, we all finished about 3.30-4 to avoid traffic. There was a big mix between our group of 8-some only having been diagnosed this year, others having T1 over 40 years and everyone thought it was worthwhile no matter what their experience. So pleased I was given the opportunity to go. Everyone got something out of the course too which just shows that even after some having T1 for 40+ years there are things to be learnt. K x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, DAFNE is a week long course so it will run Monday to Friday 9-5, although in reality it's more likely to be something like 10-3 or 4. Some DAFNE course run 1 day a week for 5 weeks as a alternative for those who can't make a full time course for a week.

If you're not working, what would cause you hassle in attending DAFNE? On my course there were a couple of self employed people who lost a weeks worth of earnings to attend, that is quite a lot of loss and I'm sure they felt it was worth it.

You said in your other thread that your always high and you had DKA on numerous occasions. That does suggest that you don't understand how to use your insulin and you need to attend a course to learn how to use it. DAFNE will cover how to carb count, how to monitor blood sugar an assess results to determine what might need changing to improve them, sick day rules with type 1, and exercise with type 1, it's a good opportunity to meet other people living with type 1.

There is often a waiting lists or a DAFNE course, in the meantime there is a free online carb counting course - https://www.bertieonline.org.uk

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I suppose it varies from area to area, but where I did it, we'd all eat together, one day just stuff from the hospital newsagent, then staff canteen, then a sort of picnic style buffet, so we could talk about what we'd chosen and then how we'd apply carb counting to that. It was useful getting taught about carb counting and then us all having a go at putting it into practice with real meals.We'd all mark down bg tests at various points on film for an overhead projector and then discuss results at the end of the day. Very useful, go on it if you can.

Reactions: Lorraine1973

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @gemma2530
I went on my DAFNE course 5 years ago and have recently just reread my trading book. I believe it would be hugely beneficial for you to go on the course, it might not answer every question I have but it will give you the guidelines to make better decisions for yourself. Over the years I have seen various doctors and on one occasion the advice given to me was so incorrect for me but I used the DAFNE principles and it helped me make a better decision.
My sugars are no way perfect but doing that course has given me a good basis to start from. I really hope you can make a course.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its a great course.....

Whether its worth it depends on your current knowledge and skills on dose adjustment......even if they are at a good level its still worth it...

Sitting with other diabetics as they count there carbs and test their BG is great and informative...

It changed my life really, I am still not a perfect diabetic and succumb to the carb often but I have the tools to have great control, or near great, if only I was strong enough....lol

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I second what the others have said - I really think it would be worth you going.

Perhaps you could speak to the person running the course about your depression and the anxiety of going and talk about what to expect? It may help to arrange to arrive early on the first day and be met by them and 'settled in' to the room before everybody else arrives? Or perhaps they would be ok with you taking a friend/family member for support?

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also really got lots of good information on the course.And if you can use the course to get bs lower, it will give you energy to help fight the depression. It will surprise you how much nicer it feels to if not necessarly get it perfect, have it closer to an average of 10.I am just saying that because I know it is hard and my bs is too high too.But when it is so high, it actually will affect your energy levels and in that way also your mood.Best of luck!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi I have been T1 for 13 years and it has never been under control, mostly high over 15mmol. has anyone done the DAFNE course and could give me some information about it please e.g how long the course is etc... I have been thinking about it and if I should try it to see if I can benefit from undertaking the course, but worry abut doing it as I suffer with depression and rarely leave the house. I recently read online that the course is 9-5 Monday to Friday and would like to know if this is true. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Hi @gemma2530 , I agree with the others on here, a DAFNE course is definitely worth going to. I went 2 years ago and have now been diabetic 40 years, but I still learnt loads of things I hadn't known. We continue to have annual reviews, and its nice just to meet other people in a similar position. Good luck x

JVH2310

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did it a few years ago and had depression and anxiety at the time. It was great though - a really supportive atmosphere. It's an amazing feeling being in a room where the only people not testing their blood and injecting are the ones running the course - suddenly they were the odd ones out! That was very liberating for all of us.

Reactions: azure

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think most people get a lot out of the course. Upside is better control of BG, easier to manage your diet and better understanding of your diabetes. Downside is what... a week in a course?

Reactions: noblehead

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did the Shropshire equivalent to DAFNE 3 years ago after having been diabetic for nearly 50 years. Best thing I ever did for my diabetic control.

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @gemma2530,

I did the DAFNE course a couple of years ago in Leeds and it is honestly the best thing I have ever done for my diabetes. It really is worth it, and teaches you so much. I was diagnosed 25 years ago, and so much of the advice has changed, but it takes so long to filter down to the patient when you only see a consultant once a year or so. Definitely do it if you can!

As a side note, a number of people on my course got paid leave from work to attend. Their employers saw it as a training course and knew that the person having better control would enhance their workplace and productivity. It might be worth asking if you could do this without having to take holiday, if this is your worry.

Becky