Progressive...Yawn. LCHF vindication

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I saw my diabetic nurse (3rd new one) on Wednesday, after having some bloods taken last Friday, the purpose of which was to get some reassurance that I was getting required nutrients. My last HbA1c in April increased from 35 to 36 (previous November), I am not sure if this sparked the nurse to use the word "progressive" during the course of the conversation, but she definitely used this word during a sentence, at which point I almost switched off.

Anyway unprompted, by way of contradiction she said I would be kept on the register due to my initial 134 diagnosis, which I am more than happy with (being checked every 6 months compared to a year). She enquired as to how I got so bad, so quickly. I explained that I was drinking a litre of Delmont a day, a punnet of grapes, bananas, massive bowls of Oats with cinnamon, pancakes with lemon juice, packet of extra strong mints a day, Christmas cake and meals with usual carbs. The thirstier I became the more orange juice I drank; I was probably pre-diabetic and pushed myself very much over the edge.

Regarding the nutrients everything apart from Haemoglobin was in the ranges defined. This makes sense as I have biased towards fish as red meat stays in my system for longer, at least I have an excuse to eat more spinach and or lamb shanks or oxtail curry. Moving to 2 meals a day and occasionally 1 will make it harder to get the extras in. I am delighted with the full count results, which has vindicated for me, the choice to go LCHF (for life).

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Mbaker ..
Sounds about right for the "HCP Brigade" .. I often wonder how these people keep their jobs but I guess it's because the requirement to spout their nonsense is embedded in their employment contracts. Above that, though, your results, your numbers and your decisions are what's important .. so well done you

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi @Mbaker ..
Sounds about right for the "HCP Brigade" .. I often wonder how these people keep their jobs but I guess it's because the requirement to spout their nonsense is embedded in their employment contracts. Above that, though, your results, your numbers and your decisions are what's important .. so well done you

You're right. I once saw a DN (they seem to change every six months) who was open minded about the low carb approach as I was successful at it - asked LOADS of questions - and then carried on giving the usual eatwell plate advice to all the rest of her patients.

I might be wrong but wasn't there a woman who posted on this forum who was a Health Care Professional in (I think) Australia who got struck off for giving her patients advice to eat LCHF?

Reactions: Prem51

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
I saw my diabetic nurse (3rd new one) on Wednesday, after having some bloods taken last Friday, the purpose of which was to get some reassurance that I was getting required nutrients. My last HbA1c in April increased from 35 to 36 (previous November), I am not sure if this sparked the nurse to use the word "progressive" during the course of the conversation, but she definitely used this word during a sentence, at which point I almost switched off.

Anyway unprompted, by way of contradiction she said I would be kept on the register due to my initial 134 diagnosis, which I am more than happy with (being checked every 6 months compared to a year). She enquired as to how I got so bad, so quickly. I explained that I was drinking a litre of Delmont a day, a punnet of grapes, bananas, massive bowls of Oats with cinnamon, pancakes with lemon juice, packet of extra strong mints a day, Christmas cake and meals with usual carbs. The thirstier I became the more orange juice I drank; I was probably pre-diabetic and pushed myself very much over the edge.

Regarding the nutrients everything apart from Haemoglobin was in the ranges defined. This makes sense as I have biased towards fish as red meat stays in my system for longer, at least I have an excuse to eat more spinach and or lamb shanks or oxtail curry. Moving to 2 meals a day and occasionally 1 will make it harder to get the extras in. I am delighted with the full count results, which has vindicated for me, the choice to go LCHF (for life).
Hi
How do you make oxtail curry?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi
How do you make oxtail curry?
My Mum and Wife both make this. My Wife's recipe includes, Onions, butter beans and all purpose seasoning, slowed cooked for several hours with cauli rice. She is just on her way out but I will try and get more detail later.