Diet whey

Dave29

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I've just been diagnosed with type 2 recently. Is it ok to take PhD diet whey as a meal replacement with type 2 diabetes? I need to loose around 2 stone in weight. I used to take this a few years ago as a meal replacement long before my diabetis arrived....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are just diagnosed then wouldn't it be a more sensible approach to get your blood glucose levels down and then think about weightloss?
Being type 2 I found it difficult to lose weight anyway - the excess insulin at diagnosis was the most likely cause. Resolving that problem by eating a low carb diet has also meant that I have lost some weight, and now that my readings are about normal I am concentrating on my weight and fitness a bit more, rather than blood glucose.

Dave29

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Resurgram.
As I'm eating less now and cutting right down on my sugar intake as i think i got onto this state as ive always had a sweet tooth. I have been loosing some weight but wanted to try and loose weight quick rather than a bit at a time. Ive kept away from chocolate for a while now and dont feel hungry, i wonder of this is due yo the Metformin 1 tablet a day. Thanks for the advice

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no need to abstain from chocolate - I get the 81 percent cocoa bars from Lidl and eat a couple of squares with my coffee when I feel the need.
As long as you are eating low carb foods, not just reduced sugar you should be OK.
Low carb will reduce your appetite - Metformin is reputed to do the same, but it just made me feel terrible.
I stick to fresh foods, 'real' ones, and eat twice a day.
As protein can be converted into glucose I am not entirely sure that it would be a good thing to take two lots of whey each day in the hope of rapid weightloss. Having seen the results of crash dieting - it puts years on if done too enthusiastically, I'd advise caution.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Look for the protein rolls when you are in Lidl - dark triangular and in the bakery baskets, sold individually.
I am very sensitive to wheat - well all grains, but I can eat them - they can be frozen and are rather nice defrosted gently in the halogen oven, then split and each half covered in grated cheese - turn up the heat until the cheese melts. I expect other ovens or grills will work just as well, but the halogen does it very well.
I might just go and check that the last batch I bought is up to standard......

kimlala

Gonna throw this out there, but, I love MCT Oil and use it in my first cup of coffee daily. Takes the hunger edge off. Also, I use bone collagen (powder) amazing for energy. However, I am in total agreement with Resurgam and low carb diet. Research first, before you set off. :)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Thank you Resurgram.
As I'm eating less now and cutting right down on my sugar intake as i think i got onto this state as ive always had a sweet tooth. I have been loosing some weight but wanted to try and loose weight quick rather than a bit at a time. Ive kept away from chocolate for a while now and dont feel hungry, i wonder of this is due yo the Metformin 1 tablet a day. Thanks for the advice

Hi. That's a start but remember that carbohydrates effectively turn to sugar in the blood...so cutting down on sugar alone will not make the difference that cutting down on carbohydrate will.

Dave29

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great advice from you guys thank you. I'm careful about cutting my carbs down too.still all a bit of a shock to the system but hopefully eill..anahe it ok

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Dave29 I would consider just eating real food. Here's some suggestions, very close to what I do except I usually only eat twice a day, sometimes once:

Breakfast
Bacon / Sausages (quality), scrambled egg / omelette, tomatoes, mushrooms, quarter avocado, spinach

Or

Nuts (I have in the same sitting Brazil, Walnuts, Pecan, Macadamia, Cashews (smaller amount), Almonds and Hazelnuts as a base; with on top Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, Red Currents, 2 dollop of Greek full fat yoghurt / double cream, pumpkin and flax seeds.

Lunch (If you have it)
Oily fish, reddish, salad, leeks / Onions, quarter avocado

Dinner
Any fish / meat, mixed vegetables, salad
I Don't eat past 6 or 7pm and do at least a walk after eating.

Don't forget water, tea, coffee (I do fresh brew at home or my favourite is from Sainsbury's 17 cals). And at least 7 hours of sleep, this is when weight loss happens.

Reactions: Alison Campbell