Non Diabetic high blood sugar after meal.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be two main camps on how to achieve this. One being through a high fat, low carb and protein diet (HFLC) i.e. max 20g carbs which puts you into ketosis. The other being a high carb, very low fat, no animal products diet (HCLF) i.e. max 10% fat.

Both diets also require the omission of all processed foods and refined carbs. Basically you need eat clean, natural foods.
People seem to be getting amazing results from both of these diets but you have to stick to them rigorously. As far as I'm concerned it's a matter of which you are most comfortable with. I personally cycle between them on a monthly basis because I don't find either sustainable and I know that it is inadvisable to be in ketosis for very long periods. Although I do find the low carb option more doable. My phrase for this way of eating is "seasonal mimicking diet".
Hope this helps and gives you more food for thought and research.

@Intermittent_faster I'm curious as to why you think the ketogenic diet is a max of 20 carbs. I've never eaten below the 30 g to 45 g carbs a day range and haven't had any problems maintaining ketosis.

[Edit]: I just surveyed blog posts on "how many carbs is ketogenic" and opinions vary wildly. I guess the answer is... "it's highly individual".

Last edited:
Reactions: Intermittent_faster

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think what is almost always overlooked and that many people avoid to see as a fact is that not using ones muscles enough is also causing insuline resistance as the muscles natural exchange of nutrients is in a unnatural low level and muscles therefore decay and loose their very great function of being able to store glucose and exchange glucose in a perfect range along as one is in need of the glucose .... am I totally wrong in thinking this is a main problem also in many type 2's that people seem to have neclected their body many times for decades as well as having been eating industrialised foods deprived from natural fibres and nutrients ?

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been trying to work out by what he means when he say he consumes 700 gms of carb a day. If it's mainly veg then he's got to eat a lot of veg. If you start to include pulses and grains, my trusty old FreeStyle Libre tells me exactly what happens and it doesn't quite tie up with his experience. I need to read what he's doing to get a grip really. I'm just a bit confused by what he means by 700 gms of carbohydrate.

Really struggling with the calculations to get to 700 gms carb.

If you have broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, mushrooms, peppers, courgette and aubergine and had 1kg of each, that's still only 300gms of carb. Even adding 100gms of rice only adds 30 gms.

I've subscribed to his mail thingy so will discover more as I go along.

The veg I've chosen are typical for me, perhaps I'm restricting myself. I could have added tomatoes. Any more for any more. LOL

Maybe a lot of his carbs are actually fibres in the States the fibres are also country in as carbs ... Yesterday I ate 400 grams of bockwheat porridge for breakfast and 300 gram Dark High fibres Rye-bread for lunch And so on Then one can in a whole day that also contain High intense exercise easily eat that amount of carbs

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
unkindness
@Intermittent_faster I'm curious as to why you think the ketogenic diet is a max of 20 carbs. I've never eaten below the 30 g to 45 g carbs a day range and haven't had any problems maintaining ketosis.

[Edit]: I just surveyed blog posts on "how many carbs is ketogenic" and opinions vary wildly. I guess the answer is... "it's highly individual".
Yes it is very variable as, like you say, we are all individual. I just think it's easier to go straight with the 20g than try 100 then 50 then 30 then 20. Although I'm sure others will disagree. Around 20g also seems to be what most of the low carb nutritionists are recommending to get into healing mode. I guess if you are a carb lover it's easier to work your way down to where you need to be, but if you are a fat lover it should be easy to go straight in at 20g and work your way up to the tipping point. A meter that also measures ketones is the only way to really work out if you are definitely in ketosis and to what level. Darren Schmidt on youtube has a few very informative videos on ratios. One thing he stresses is that it is not healthy to be in ketosis permanently. He also has videos on this. If there is one person who can explain the whole ketosis/fasting/lifestyle thing well it's Darren Schmidt. He is also not one of those who constantly has a pop at the high carb community, or any other community. He is rare in that he recognises that you can be healthy on many different eating styles, but he has come to the conclusion that ketosis is the key to accelerating healing. And I guess healing is what everyone on this forum is interested in. I am at a point of maintenance now and so have embraced various methods to maintain health including lowcarb, highcarb, Haye, exercise, meditation, all natural foods and fasting. As others have said 'it's not just about food'.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think that the carb count of 20g is used because at that level almost everyone who tries will get into ketosis. In the states you then get into the argument if that is total or net carbs (as carbs there are reported including fibre). I can maintain a state of ketosis using UK measurements of under 20g of carbs a day (but I have no idea how many US total carb that is). Are you counting total carbs or net carbs in your 30-45g out of interest? Obviously whatever you are doing works well for you.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
400 grams of bockwheat porridge
80 gms of carb.
300 gram Dark High fibres Rye-bread
150 gms of carb

Then one can in a whole day that also contain High intense exercise easily eat that amount of carbs

With the upmost respect, I think there's still someway to go. It's possibly part of my OCD that drives me to want to know exactly what the truth is. I'll have a little (big) Google later, see if I can find anything that makes my poor brain happy. LOL

Just an academic exercise, I reserve judgement on his claim to eat 700gms of carb every day until I see exactly what he eats. I'm not saying he's wrong and in fact it's in the pursuit of trying to be open minded about things that I'm trying to work out how he does it. I would dearly love to control my type II and eat more carbs again, just don't think it's going to work.

Reactions: Freema

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies to my question yesterday. Need to do some calculations before I respond. I eat a lot of vegetables in addition to high fat and moderate protein. Not sure if that's possible at the 20 carb level. But again, need to calculate what a typical day is for me. Will try to take a look at this tonight.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
80 gms of carb.

150 gms of carb

With the upmost respect, I think there's still someway to go. It's possibly part of my OCD that drives me to want to know exactly what the truth is. I'll have a little (big) Google later, see if I can find anything that makes my poor brain happy. LOL

Just an academic exercise, I reserve judgement on his claim to eat 700gms of carb every day until I see exactly what he eats. I'm not saying he's wrong and in fact it's in the pursuit of trying to be open minded about things that I'm trying to work out how he does it. I would dearly love to control my type II and eat more carbs again, just don't think it's going to work.

well I ate a lot more carbs than that too...165 grams of liqerice and others... I actually did eat 516 grams of carbs...from also raisins 60 grams, multiseed flatbread with wheat in it too 15 grams and 350 grams of watermelon some kind if islandic yoghurt and a lots of vegs too and some chocolate like 150 grams with sugar and a low sugar icecream with dark chocolate...... but I get the point in what you say and mean..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just an academic exercise, I reserve judgement on his claim to eat 700gms of carb every day until I see exactly what he eats. I'm not saying he's wrong and in fact it's in the pursuit of trying to be open minded about things that I'm trying to work out how he does it. I
Just eat 14 Mangos and that's 700 grams right there.Not easy I know but doable possibly.