How to maintain weight

bluelybell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys.

I have been low carb for the last 2 months, for the last month almost ketogenic without really trying, have lost just over 2st since going low carb. So far its been going well, not been particularly hungry during the day so haven't been eating apart from the occasional cooked breakfast and occasional salad for lunch, bg's are pretty stable.

however as I lose the weight I have been wondering how to go back to eating more and slow the weight loss down as I don't want to go too low, and I like having curves so does my partner.

Is it a matter of eating more and if so what sort of things? Obviously stuff that doesn't push my sugars too high, but just not sure what to do when the time comes.

Thanks in advance

Bluelybell

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you want to keep the carbs low then I would think it only leaves protein and fats to play with you could try incrementally uping protein say by small amounts till you find your level keeping in mind though that excess protein can increase BS levels also. If you have lee way in your carb intake you could increase those a little but that will probably up your BS levels too.

I am still trying to find my way round it also.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd be interested to hear the answer to this. I've lost 2 1/2 stone so far and still have a way to go, so (maybe prematurely!) I've started wondering what to do at the point of reaching my ideal weight?

Reactions: Debandez

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think as you get closer to your target weight - presuming you are not there yet - then you may plateau. Others have said that.
Myself, with a stone to go till I reach my target weight I have slowed right down. Some of that will be because I am now working on muscle mass - but not all, I think you body just gets used to less carbs maybe?

Reactions: ringi

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I decided I was trim enough, I firstly just plain old ate more of exactly what I had been eating, so increased my portion sizes.

When that didn't work, I upped the protein a bit more. Didn't work for me.

Next I added cheese, then nuts (can't recall which way round that was, as it's a while ago now, increasing (measured) portion sizes until I levelled out. It took me a couple of months to achieve this, due to my incremental approach, changing one thing at a time.

Just for clarity, generally I don't weigh my food, but only did that so that I would control and understand exactly what I had done to achieve the status quo. Yes, I am a data monster.

@bluelybell , we're all different, so you may want to approach things differently, but in essence it is important you test throughout this, to ensurer your bloods are remaining in your desired range, and secondly that you change only one thing at a time, and only change again after 3-4 weeks minimum as some changes, particularly subtle ones, aren't immediate.

The last thing any of us needs is a yo-yo situation.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unless you are starving you will probobly plateau. Just remember that you are doing all these changes for life.

Its not a sprint its a marathon

Reactions: ringi and Snapsy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you look at Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution either on line or maybe get hold of the book, there are fairly good instructions on slowing down weight loss and maintaining it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Goonergirl, one thing I would suggest to anyone pondering this is not to wait until reaching target before making any adjustments. My advice would be that within a tolerance, say 7lbs (off the top of my head, not a reasoned, scientific choice of margin), begin to try stabilising the maintain weight, using small steps, because it can take time to achieve the status quo, and it is possible to end up more trim that the individual desired.

I'm probably half a stone lighter than I might have desired, but where I am is where my body seems to like to be. When I had to regain a couple of kilos, post-surgery, it too me almost 3 months to gain 2 kg, because I didn't want to significantly change my way of eating, or overshoot and find myself getting into the revolving door of losing and gaining.

Just take it steady. Where the changes are smaller, it's easier to maintain over the longer term. That goes for eating a bit more as well as eating a bit less.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goonergirl, one thing I would suggest to anyone pondering this is not to wait until reaching target before making any adjustments. My advice would be that within a tolerance, say 7lbs (off the top of my head, not a reasoned, scientific choice of margin), begin to try stabilising the maintain weight, using small steps, because it can take time to achieve the status quo, and it is possible to end up more trim that the individual desired.

I'm probably half a stone lighter than I might have desired, but where I am is where my body seems to like to be. When I had to regain a couple of kilos, post-surgery, it too me almost 3 months to gain 2 kg, because I didn't want to significantly change my way of eating, or overshoot and find myself getting into the revolving door of losing and gaining.

Just take it steady. Where the changes are smaller, it's easier to maintain over the longer term. That goes for eating a bit more as well as eating a bit less.

Thank you. I'm a good way off target but the introduction of intermittent fasting has really sped up weight loss over the past month and if that carries on, I'll be getting close to target a lot sooner than I thought, so want to at least have plans in mind.

Reactions: DCUKMod

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're getting your protein requirements already ( .8-1 g per kg LEAN body mass) then upping carbs or protein wouldn't be the best idea.

Adding more fat will do very little to your bs. So nuts, butter, cream, avocado, mayo etc. Cheese does have fat but also protein so it COULD potentially effect your bs depending on portion size.

I agree too as you get closer to your ideal weight the loss will slow down or stop. Our bodies tend to find their own homeostasis.

Reactions: Goonergal

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plan well in advance and start early. If you don't want to increase carbs, it has to come from fats and/or protein. Eat to your meter and also to your scales.

I didn't do this. I waited until I was at my target, then found even though I increased calories from extra fats from protein sources I was still losing. Slower, but nonetheless, still losing. I ended up half a stone lighter than I wanted.

It is all a case of finding the right balance and is not easy. I found I had to go back to basics with weighing and measuring. I kept my carbs the same but introduced cheese to my menu (hadn't eaten it previously). I weighed it. It didn't work so I increased the amount, still weighing it. I then added quite a few extra eggs, and then returned to an old habit of a glass of red wine each evening. (very useful for the calories but no carbs, fat or protein). After much trial and error I got there, and have maintained since late 2014.

Reactions: dbr10

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I agree too as you get closer to your ideal weight the loss will slow down or stop. Our bodies tend to find their own homeostasis.
Except I passed my target weight a while back and am now a stone below it so I agree don't leave it till too late to plan your strategy expecting to plateau as it doesn't always work like that. I have lost about eight and a half stone over all.