Toe problems after holiday/flying

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've never had foot issues before and wanted to run something past you all please. I'll try to include as much detail as I can think of.

I've just returned from holiday. The weather alternated between boiling hot and torrential downpours, so my feet frequently got wet and sweaty (nice). I wore either sandals or trainer-type shoes (non-waterproof).

After flying home I noticed a sore spot at the top of a toe, like a blister but with broken skin. I thought it was from my feet swelling on the flight and the nail of the next toe rubbing. I've put antiseptic cream on and thought it was improving (to the point that I mentioned it in passing to my DN today and said it was better) but tonight it looks as sore as ever.

Having had no other similar issues before, I don't want to over-react if it's just a blood blister or something. But I don't want to under react either. Is there anything else I should try (athletes foot treatment?) before I make an appointment with my gp?

Thanks

Reactions: BsinghB

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello there, I would get straight to your GP to look at that, any foot issues need to be looked at quickly to ensure it doesn't become an issue, it might be fine but best to get an expert opinion on it regardless.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'd throw caution to the wind and get your feet checked, a Podiatrist can do this or your Dr's surgery Nurse.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Doubt if it's athletes foot -that is a fungal infection and normally between the toes. It could be due to chaffing from damp sandals or shoes but best check with your GP or nurse just in case there is an underlying infection that needs antibiotics.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
If I'm a bit bothered about something like you've got I make an appointment.
I see one particular Doctor so sometimes have to wait a few days.
If nearer the appointment day things are looking up I cancel the appointment (make sure you do as its a drain on the NHS otherwise).
Psychologically I'm in a win win situation as I get anxious about things as a lot of us on here understandably do.

Good luck
Tony

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all. I knew you were right, I just feel guilty about having yet another gp appointment.

Been to the gp who has said it's infected so has given me antibiotics & antibiotic/antifungal cream. Hopefully that will sort it out...

I'm guessing I shouldn't swim until it's healed???

Dr_Anders

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, it's important to keep it dry until it's healed, so no swimming. Did the GP give you any advice about dressing it? Do you have a podiatrist at your clinic that can take a look at it for you?

Reactions: Jade0106
K

Katie Pod

sweatybetty,
Do you have access to a Podiatrist who could check it out for you?
If you don't want to wait for a NHS appointment you could see one privately but make sure they are HCPC Registered ( Health & Care Professions Council)