lchf but very high bp + cortisol

February

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi there

I am seeking a scientific medical advisor/doctor to help me deal with a health issue. Perhaps someone on this forum could put me in touch with the person best placed to help me regain health.

The issues are:
  • Consistently elevated blood pressure (taken at home, many times, correctly) this year. Usually about 155/109.
  • Rapid resting heart rate (80s).
  • Extremely high cortisol (saliva test).
  • Insomnia, usually 2am onwards.
  • Mysterious skin condition (diagnosed as 'dermagraphism', not sure how convinced I am of that)
My lifestyle/diet is:
  • Dedicated lchf for 2.5 years (only eating 'green list' foods from the Real Meal Revolution website).
  • Age 55 (last period at 49).
  • Height 164cm
  • Weight 54kg
  • Daily exercise (walk 1-2 hrs, light cardio workouts, stretching, etc).
  • Active lifestyle.
  • Don't smoke or drink.
  • Have been researching and taking supplements for a few months.
  • Vegetarian, but do now take krill oil capsules now (also vits C, D, K, magnesium).
  • Have had a stressful life and am oversensitive to stress. Reduced it a lot recently.
  • Started 'solution focused' hypnotherapy sessions. Very helpful.
I don't want to just 'force' the blood pressure/cortisol down without investigating the reason why it's high and erratic. I feel like my stress button is 'jammed on' this year. GP just wants to cheap/quick route of prescribing me toxic pharmaceuticals.

Recent blood tests showing fairly normal ranges, but a second opinion about the highlighted results would be helpful. I'm also waiting for DHEA test results through.

I would like to:

1) Find a genuine health practitioner (anywhere in the UK, I can travel, but the South West is closest),

2) Be advised which tests to have done to find the root cause of high BP/cortisol.

3) Be advised on which other tests to have done (eg, hormones, CAC, etc).

4) Be advised on which supplements to take, including dosage and brand.

5) Be advised on any other relevant aspects.

Good luck to you all, and thanks for any links, info or contacts you can give me.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum :)

If you don't want to take drugs I would look for a good naturopath in your area. They tend to have a holistic approach to health rather than just looking at the symptoms.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum.
I'm no expert, but I think you may have already identified the cause of your blood pressure yourself: Stress.
The only real key to combatting stress is learning how to deal with it, and learning how to live with it. I know that you are asking for a scientific / medical practitioner, but have you thought about a therapist or counsellor?

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum.
I'm no expert, but I think you may have already identified the cause of your blood pressure yourself: Stress.
The only real key to combatting stress is learning how to deal with it, and learning how to live with it. I know that you are asking for a scientific / medical practitioner, but have you thought about a therapist or counsellor?
hello and welcome :) stress is a tricky one to deal with as it affects all the body systems. I would echo Luceeloo and suggest seeking advice from a naturopath or homeopathic practioner. You already have a healthy diet and lifestyle. I've been studying herbal medicine for 3 years now and Ashwagandha is a popular supplement for dealing with adrenal stress/elevated BP/insomnia etc. Widely used in Indian medicine. You could try an organic supplement and take it before going to bed, it should help you achieve better sleep patterns and that will decrease your cortisol levels x

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recent blood tests showing fairly normal ranges, but a second opinion about the highlighted results would be helpful.

Hello @February:)

Do you have lipid panel results and any other results available to share? You stated them being fairly normal rather than normal, so I'm under the impression that some aren't quite on track?

February

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello @February:)

Do you have lipid panel results and any other results available to share? You stated them being fairly normal rather than normal, so I'm under the impression that some aren't quite on track?

Hi Graham, I've just got DHEA results - I have a miniscule amount of DHEA! 28 (range is about 160-600). So, I have booked to see GP, in order to get lipid panel test, and a referral to an endocrynologist. The DHEA result is another part of the jig-saw, so although it's so low, I feel closer to sorting out the issues I'm having. Thanks.