Looking for someone to talk to

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm Royina. I'm 20 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 a month ago. Looking for people to speak to who are going through the same experience/ who can offer advice on getting used to the new lifestyle

Reactions: Dan_Bygrave

dhogue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Turned 22 Thursday, new onset diagnosis and ketoacidosis friday. First day out. Same boat

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Turned 22 Thursday, new onset diagnosis and ketoacidosis friday. First day out. Same boat

Hey. I was diagnosed in DKA too, about a month ago. How are you taking it?

dhogue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well today was my first full day on my own so I'm really trying to learn. My BS seems to be pretty high at night. How about you

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the first 3 weeks my glucose levels were always above 11 (200 mg/dl). Now my insulin requirements are much lower but i keep having hypos. Do you have an app for carb counting yet?

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I'm 17 and I was diagnosed with type one diabetes 8 years ago. Maybe we can become friends over social media? If you are okay with that (prefer Snapchat but anything else is okay)

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I'm 17 and I was diagnosed with type one diabetes 8 years ago. Maybe we can become friends over social media? If you are okay with that (prefer Snapchat but anything else is okay)

Yes sure! PM me your snapchat id

dhogue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My glucose levels have constantly been over 200 as well. As high as 320 today and I was getting fuzzy. How did your necessary insulin drop? Seems strange. I keep a log to count my carbs

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My glucose levels have constantly been over 200 as well. As high as 320 today and I was getting fuzzy. How did your necessary insulin drop? Seems strange. I keep a log to count my carbs

In the beginning your body is insulin resistant. As the weeks go by it'll get more sensitive to insulin and drop. For the first 3 weeks my glucose levels were always around 200 and i never believed that i could even have a hypo

Type_ffs_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hay I was diagnosed in January (t1)bs where 28.9 and ketones 1.8. At first I struggled to get them down now I'm struggling to keep them up I started on 14 units of Lantau which gradually got more n more and Rapids usually between 10/15 units a meal depending on carbs, roughly about a month or 2 ago I started to have hypos daily then went on to 2/3 to
Times daily my dsn/go first reduced my Lantas but it didn't make a difference... they changed me onto levermir so I could split my doses because I struggled with highs on a night.. this still made no difference so they told me to stop taking background insulin altogether this still made no difference (no rises through the night either) then I had to work out my carb ratio n I'm down to one unit per 50grams for breakfast and lunch and still have the odd hypos but if I'm not working that won't be enough. At teatime onwards I have 1 unit to 20 grams and occasionally have rises where I might have to correct later on. I've been told it's just the honeymoon period which could last a year maybe 2 or it could all go **** up next week who knows. One thing I've learned is everybody is different and have different experiences but one thing is we all have is that where in it together This forum and the Facebook page is brilliant most of what I know and have learnt is from here rather than GPs

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hay I was diagnosed in January (t1)bs where 28.9 and ketones 1.8. At first I struggled to get them down now I'm struggling to keep them up I started on 14 units of Lantau which gradually got more n more and Rapids usually between 10/15 units a meal depending on carbs, roughly about a month or 2 ago I started to have hypos daily then went on to 2/3 to
Times daily my dsn/go first reduced my Lantas but it didn't make a difference... they changed me onto levermir so I could split my doses because I struggled with highs on a night.. this still made no difference so they told me to stop taking background insulin altogether this still made no difference (no rises through the night either) then I had to work out my carb ratio n I'm down to one unit per 50grams for breakfast and lunch and still have the odd hypos but if I'm not working that won't be enough. At teatime onwards I have 1 unit to 20 grams and occasionally have rises where I might have to correct later on. I've been told it's just the honeymoon period which could last a year maybe 2 or it could all go **** up next week who knows. One thing I've learned is everybody is different and have different experiences but one thing is we all have is that where in it together This forum and the Facebook page is brilliant most of what I know and have learnt is from here rather than GPs

One unit per 50 grams? Thats amazing. Are you consuming enough carbs though? Perhaps lesser carbs per meal may be causing hypos. Also if you exercise at night it can cause hypos the next day around lunch.

Reactions: Type_ffs_

Type_ffs_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No night time exercise at night I'm quit lazy past tea time tbf but get plenty during day. Daily I probably consume around 300grams sometimes more, I usually weigh food portions out where and when I can to try and be more accurate, past couple of days I've not needed any insulin before tea time and still between 5-6 bonus! Just sat waiting for the pancreas to stop working again properly again now

D

Deleted member 83869

In the beginning your body is insulin resistant. As the weeks go by it'll get more sensitive to insulin and drop. For the first 3 weeks my glucose levels were always around 200 and i never believed that i could even have a hypo

Hi, im 23 and I've been diabetic for nearly 10 years.

What you said there isnt totally true....its not because you're resistant its because either you're in honeymoon period still or the right dose still hasnt been found for you! It's not easy though but one day we will get there! X

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, im 23 and I've been diabetic for nearly 10 years.

What you said there isnt totally true....its not because you're resistant its because either you're in honeymoon period still or the right dose still hasnt been found for you! It's not easy though but one day we will get there! X

Really? This is what my doctor told me. He didn't attribute it to a honeymoon stage as I produce no insulin. My requirements are gradually reducing though so that's good

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No night time exercise at night I'm quit lazy past tea time tbf but get plenty during day. Daily I probably consume around 300grams sometimes more, I usually weigh food portions out where and when I can to try and be more accurate, past couple of days I've not needed any insulin before tea time and still between 5-6 bonus! Just sat waiting for the pancreas to stop working again properly again now

I think just enjoy it while you can! It can last years right? Maybe it'll last for years for you. Be optimistic!

D

Deleted member 83869

Really? This is what my doctor told me. He didn't attribute it to a honeymoon stage as I produce no insulin. My requirements are gradually reducing though so that's good

Yes, I've never heard of the insulin resistance so early on...but on diagnosis no one knows what insulin requirements you defo need! how was he so sure you wasnt in honeymoon??

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I've never heard of the insulin resistance so early on...but on diagnosis no one knows what insulin requirements you defo need! how was he so sure you wasnt in honeymoon??

I was actually diagnosed in DKA so that might have made a difference in dosage for me. They tested my pancreas for functionality and the tests determined that i only have 0.02% functionality, so basically none.

D

Deleted member 83869

I was actually diagnosed in DKA so that might have made a difference in dosage for me. They tested my pancreas for functionality and the tests determined that i only have 0.02% functionality, so basically none.

yeah so was i....think it depends on the hospital too! Are you from the UK?