Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Paleo Porridge - inspired / based on @Brunneria 's recent Amazon purchase:

150g Coconut flour
150g Ground almonds or almond flour
30g Psyllium husk
15g of Splenda (or other sweetener to your taste)
10g Ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Mix everything together in an airtight container

Total calories for whole recipe: 1562
Total carbs: 101
Makes: 10 servings

One serving is 35g of the mixture
Giving 10g of carbs and 154 calories

Slowly stir in 275ml of COLD water in to 35g of the mixture. Allow to stand overnight if you want to eat it cold or 15 minutes if you want to eat it hot - if eating it hot then microwave for 4 minutes, stirring every minute then let it stand for a couple of minutes so it cools down a bit.

Edited to add:

After cooking this mixture this morning I added in some blackberries but it would also be nice with seeds or other fruit - and maybe different spices or flavourings - vanilla would be nice. :)

Last edited:

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

Hana's home-made burgers.
The quantites are not critical
1/2 pound minced beef( not too lean)
1/4 pound pork mince
1egg
1clove garlic crushed
1/2medium or 1small onion finely chopped
little oil
sweat the onion in oil, until soft anf glassy and then add garlic to pan. Cook gently until scent develops ( careful! garlic burns easily)
when cooked, set aside to cool
Mix beef and pork mince thoroughly, add a little( about tsp ) salt
mix in onion and garlic
break the egg and mix in.
Shape 6 burgers from this mix.
You can George, grill or fry.
Will take about 10 mins.
are done when outside is well cooked and dark.
Serve with salad or veggies of choice
For picnics, wrap the burger in a lettuce leaf, with gherkin, tomato and mayo and cover in cling film. As good as a bun, but VERY FEW carbs.
You can vary this to suit yourself. If you like it some curry spices might be nice.
Sounds good.

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paleo Porridge - inspired / based on @Brunneria 's recent Amazon purchase:

150g Coconut flour
150g Ground almonds or almond flour
30g Psyllium husk
15g of Splenda (or other sweetener to your taste)
10g Ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Mix everything together in an airtight container

Total calories for whole recipe: 1562
Total carbs: 101
Makes: 10 servings

One serving is 35g of the mixture
Giving 10g of carbs and 154 calories

Slowly stir in 275ml of COLD water in to 35g of the mixture. Allow to stand overnight if you want to eat it cold or 15 minutes if you want to eat it hot - if eating it hot then microwave for 4 minutes, stirring every minute then let it stand for a couple of minutes so it cools down a bit.

Edited to add:

After cooking this mixture this morning I added in some blackberries but it would also be nice with seeds or other fruit - and maybe different spices or flavourings - vanilla would be nice. :)
That sounds delicious! What can I safely substitute for the sweetener, not allowed to use them cos they aggravate joint pain :inpain::nurse::)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That sounds delicious! What can I safely substitute for the sweetener, not allowed to use them cos they aggravate joint pain :inpain::nurse::)

Is it all sweeteners you have a problem with? If so then I don't know - maybe try it without or add whatever you like and can tolerate to add sweetness. I had mine with raspberries this morning.

Reactions: Butterfly1960

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
One of my favourite low carb recipes for pesto baked chicken: http://paleowithmrsp.com/mrs-ps-pesto-baked-chicken/ (for more images)
DSC_0732.jpg

Serves:4
Prep time:15 mins
Cook time:45 mins
Total time:1 hour

A delicious pesto baked chicken recipe that's simple to make and wonderful served hot or cold.

Ingredients
  • 100g Spinach
  • 75g Pistachio
  • 1 tsp Sea Salt
  • 2 Handfuls Fresh Basil leaves
  • 2 Garlic Cloves
  • 500g Chicken Breast (or thighs)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (around 150ml)

Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C
  2. In to a food processor place the spinach, basil, pistachios, sea salt and garlic cloves and blitz for a few pulses
  3. Now carefully add in the olive oil a little at a time until the mixture is thick and creamy
  4. On to a chopping board, carefully chop your chicken breasts in to length strips (if you do not do this, and you just place the breasts straight in the oven then you'll need to cook them for longer to ensure that they are cooked through).
  5. Spread 1-2TBSP pesto in to the bottom of a non stick or oiled baking dish
  6. Place the strips of chicken carefully on top, you can pack them in to each other nice and tightly
  7. Add the remaining pesto on top and cover the chicken with it
  8. Place a layer of foil carefully over the dish and pop in the oven and bake at 200°C for 20 minutes.
  9. After 20 minutes you can take the foil off and bake for further 20 - 25 minutes on 180°C degrees until the top is slightly browned, crispy and baked (check a piece of chicken to make sure cooked through before serving)
  10. Serve straight away or allow to fully cool and enjoy cold
  11. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days, in sealed container

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Low carb English breakfast muffins. Filling, delicious and blood sugar friendly. I make a batch of these every Sunday and they last for about 4 days in the fridge. Great for a breakfast on the go, snack or lunchbox.
Recipe and more photos here: http://paleowithmrsp.com/english-breakfast-muffins/

Serves:8-12
Prep time:10 mins
Cook time:20 mins
Total time:30 mins

Ingredients
  • 8 eggs, whisked together with 3 tbsp water
  • 2 spring onions, finely chopped
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 110g cherry tomatoes, sliced in to half
  • 60g button mushrooms, sliced
  • pinch black pepper (to each muffin)
  • 5 rashers bacon

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 180° c
  2. In to a frying pan over high heat place bacon and dry fry for approx 2 minutes on each side (you want it to be cooked but not crispy as it will cook in the oven later). Place to the side
  3. In to the same frying pan place a little oil (preferably coconut) and fry off mushrooms for about 2 minutes- just to soften them. Place to the side
  4. Chop your bacon in to thin (about 1.0 cm) length strips
  5. With all your ingredient in front of you, in to muffin holders (I always use silicone as they don't need greasing, but if yours are not silicone then please grease first) place lengths of bacon (about 4 pieces in each one)
  6. Followed by a few mushrooms, 2 cherry tomato halves and then fill with egg mixture to near the top
  7. Sprinkle a little sea salt over the top and add some chopped spring onion and a little black pepper to finish
  8. Repeat until all the mixture has been used (I make around 12 medium sized muffins)
  9. Place muffins in to the oven for around 15 minutes (and then check), if they have not risen or are still a little soft then keep them in for a further 5 minutes and check.
  10. Once risen, take out of oven and place on wire rack to cool
  11. Serve hot or cold

Notes
Keep in the fridge in sealed container for up to 4 days

09-DSC_0639.jpg

Reactions: lorraine95

frankbegbie

Low carb English breakfast muffins. Filling, delicious and blood sugar friendly. I make a batch of these every Sunday and they last for about 4 days in the fridge. Great for a breakfast on the go, snack or lunchbox.
Recipe and more photos here: http://paleowithmrsp.com/english-breakfast-muffins/

Serves:8-12
Prep time:10 mins
Cook time:20 mins
Total time:30 mins

Ingredients
  • 8 eggs, whisked together with 3 tbsp water
  • 2 spring onions, finely chopped
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 110g cherry tomatoes, sliced in to half
  • 60g button mushrooms, sliced
  • pinch black pepper (to each muffin)
  • 5 rashers bacon

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 180° c
  2. In to a frying pan over high heat place bacon and dry fry for approx 2 minutes on each side (you want it to be cooked but not crispy as it will cook in the oven later). Place to the side
  3. In to the same frying pan place a little oil (preferably coconut) and fry off mushrooms for about 2 minutes- just to soften them. Place to the side
  4. Chop your bacon in to thin (about 1.0 cm) length strips
  5. With all your ingredient in front of you, in to muffin holders (I always use silicone as they don't need greasing, but if yours are not silicone then please grease first) place lengths of bacon (about 4 pieces in each one)
  6. Followed by a few mushrooms, 2 cherry tomato halves and then fill with egg mixture to near the top
  7. Sprinkle a little sea salt over the top and add some chopped spring onion and a little black pepper to finish
  8. Repeat until all the mixture has been used (I make around 12 medium sized muffins)
  9. Place muffins in to the oven for around 15 minutes (and then check), if they have not risen or are still a little soft then keep them in for a further 5 minutes and check.
  10. Once risen, take out of oven and place on wire rack to cool
  11. Serve hot or cold

Notes
Keep in the fridge in sealed container for up to 4 days

09-DSC_0639.jpg
Just like a series of small ommelettes really.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I made something similar with smoked salmon - very yummy - and they froze well.

Reactions: PaleoWithMrsP

frankbegbie

I have recently completed the '8 week Blood Sugar Diet', by Dr Michael Mosely. First I read the book which give all the scientific data for the diet, it is written is a way anyone can understand. Then at the end of the book are some recipes and diet plans, the recipes are easy and extremely delicious. In the eight weeks I lost 49lbs, about six inches off my waist, and my blood sugar dropped to normal as did my blood pressure.
I read the same book a few weeks ago.
I'll take another look at the recipees now that I'm more into the HFLC diet.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Reactions: PaleoWithMrsP

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi Emma, I'm trying this tomorrow - either to take to the beach ( if I'm up and cooking early), or hot for dinner.
Good to have you back. I read about your harrowing episode with the little one and I'm in awe of how you coped and bounced back.
Keep it up. x
Thank you so so much, such a lovely comment. Yes, it certainly was a rather dramatic start, but she's 1 year old now and thriving! It's amazing how quickly they bounce back! I hope you enjoyed the pesto chicken and the beach! E x x

Reactions: nomoredonuts

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hello!

I have a new recipe up on my blog which is a very very low carb pesto pizza. It works out as 2.12g carbs per slice (based on the pizza having 8 slices in total). I have also added it to Youtube.

The link to the recipe is here (and for photos) -----> http://paleowithmrsp.com/low-carb-pesto-pizza/

Video

Ingredients
  • 50g cashew nuts
  • 40g spinach
  • 30g basil
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled or ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 3 TBSP water (you may need 1 or 2 tbsp more to make sure you have a creamy, smooth, pourable consistency)
  • 15g coconut flour
  • 100g mozzarella, grated
  • 50g cherry tomatoes, halved

Instructions
  1. Preheat grill to 180°C / 356°F (alternatively you can do this in the oven if you have a frying pan with a heatproof handle)
  2. In to a blender / food processor place the cashew nuts, spinach, basil, olive oil, sea salt, garlic and water. Blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add in the eggs and beat in to the mixture until fully combined. Now add in the coconut flour a little at a time (you don’t want any lumps!), mix in until all blended together.
  3. In a non stick frying pan over medium heat pour in the mixture until it evenly covers the bottom of the pan. Cook for 6 minutes until you can see the sides lifting a little. You should be able to lift it a little with a spatula to see that the bottom has cooked.
  4. Transfer to the grill and cook for 5 minutes before carefully removing and adding the mozzarella, tomatoes and some optional cracked black pepper or dried chilli flakes.
  5. Place back under the grill for about 3 minutes until the mozzarella is melted and golden on top and the tomatoes are softened.
  6. Garnish with some fresh basil, slice up and enjoy!
  7. Alternatively allow to cool before popping in a tupperware and keeping in the fridge until required.

Notes:

Note: if you do not have a non stick frying pan, make sure to grease before you start cooking

Some coconut flours are more dense than others and soak up liquid faster- you don't want to leave the batter too long as it will get too thick. Add 1 or 2 extra tablespoons of water if needed to ensure a smooth pourable batter.

E x

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it all sweeteners you have a problem with? If so then I don't know - maybe try it without or add whatever you like and can tolerate to add sweetness. I had mine with raspberries this morning.
Hi @Chook
I've been doing some research into alternative sweeteners..... my diabetes nurse suggested Stevia :nurse:
But it's awfully expensive !:greedy::eek: I'm hoping to grow a stevia plant in a pot on the patio :) but I have to bring it indoors before the frosts arrive :coldfeet: The fresh leaves can be harvested regularly, and steeped in hot water over night and drained off and use the liquor over a few days or, dry the leaves and crush finely..... if I'm successful...:rolleyes: I'll let you know, and try out the paleo mix.
I hope to buy a stevia plant next Friday :) looking forward to trying out the paleo mix porridge! :hungry:

Kimhemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dave's creamy, parmesan cabbage!!!

Just made this up to go with the slow cooked pork belly I had for tea. I also did courgettes fried in olive oil. It was delicious, you've got to try it!!!!

I used two sweet heart cabbages, just what Aldi had in.

Take out the cores and slice them length ways, heat a large pan then add cabbage. Add a small amount of water (just enough to create some steam), cover and cook on full heat for 4 or 5 minutes, you want the cabbage wilted but with still some bite.

Take off heat, add a decent knob of butter. a glug of cream and some mustard to taste, (I did a teaspoon), mix thoroughly and put back on the heat, grate some fresh Parmesan on, as much as you want, salt and pepper to taste.

Delicious, I could have ate a mountain of it!

Just need to come up with a low carb sauce to cut through the belly pork fat, needed something sweet and acidic. Although the Sauvignon Blanc did a good job at doing that LOL

You could even add some pancetta or streaky bacon to the cabbage for a low carb carbonara!

Hope you give it a go.
What do you mean by Mustard? Yellow, or dried Mustard? This sounds amazing!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What do you mean by Mustard? Yellow, or dried Mustard? This sounds amazing!

Hi, That recipe was posted eight years ago so you probably won't get an answer from the original poster. :)

I have made that recipe several times (and, yes, it is amazing) and I use a teaspoon of whatever made up (not dried) mustard I feel like at the time. So far I've used Dijon, Seeded and just plain ordinary Colmans and it always turns out lovely.

Reactions: Sallastaff

ketopaul

Anyone tried 90 second bread recipe? I tried different versions, and it always comes out saggy.

The closest I got was 1 egg, 1 tbsp almond flour, 1/2 tbsp psyllium husk, 1tbs melted butter, and once it's finished I fry it for a minute in a pan and then it turns out a bit crunchier. But the psyllium I use makes it dark brown, and I don't like the taste so much. I tried with coconut flour, with or without psyllium, cream cheese...

I cannot post the link to the recipe (being a new member), but a Google search will give you plenty results.